Coppell still considering future

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Manager Steve Coppell continues to assess his future following Reading's relegation from the Premier League.

More...

Can't see him getting a job in the premiership anytime soon so may as well stay with Reading for now. Depending on who they lose this summer i still think they will have enough quality and probably financial backing to be able to come up next year.

I think he should stay. I'm sure he will feel pressure to perform well in The Championship though considering how well they did a few seasons ago. Good luck to him though.

yeah agreed , he might aswell stay, he did well first season but this season showed his inexperience sticking with exactly the same squad match after match even though they kept losing and didnt score in aaaaaaaaaaaaaages

cant see them coming back up to be honest.lack of investment cost him in the end

yeah i agree with kris, cant see them coming straight back up unless they invest heavily, especially as theres a few prem clubs after Doyle, Hunt, Long, Kitson and others. Hanehmann isn't happy there either.

His been hinting about it throughout the year. Says he needs a hiatus after being in football for so long. Good bloke he seems from media appearences.

I think he should quit to be honest, could get a job with a bigger club next year i'm sure

He could, and it would be nice to see a Prem team sign him if he was to leave. He's the one who has the best chance of gettin Reading back up though

who would have him? maybe one of the promoted clubs if they sack their manager mid season and hed probs just be relegated anyway might aswell stick with reading and try gettin them back up

The man is an arsehole. This is the guy who said if he reached europe (seems like years ago now) that he would put out the reserves because Reding wouldnt win the cup so whats the point. Hope he stays in the championship.

yeah that was a daft thing to say and id be pretty ****** off if my manager said that, you want to do well as you possibly can in all competitions , and if boro and rangers can get to the final of it i dont see why anyone cant!

Just look at Nuernberg in Germany, relegation threatened after making/playing in europe after last year's promotion. Coppell's concern about europe being a step to far is legitimate. But, he takes responsibility along with the board for not making necessary changes to keep up with the other teams in the PL.

Playing in europe isnt all about winning, its about playing the best teams in the world and thats what fans want to see. No-one wants to play the same teams every year thats why fans love it when their team gets to europe.