Corby Town - March of the Steelmen

furaiz

Reaction score
Since I only recently bought FM 2012, I've missed out on many months of fun (purely because I'm an idiot and thought university was more important than football)(It is actually :p)Aaaanyway, I decided to do a 'little' story where I attempt to take a team from the lowest division in a country, into the highest division of said country. I picked a team from the English leagues, simply because these are the leagues I know best.So I kept pressing my random button until I found Corby Town.Lets begin! :D
Welcome to Corby Town!

View attachment 249818

View attachment 249820
First of all, Corby Town are a team in the Blue Square Bet North. They are predicted to finish 10th in the league this season, but I have higher aspirations of course. Still, to prevent me from getting the sack because I failed miserably to get promotion like I said I would, I decided to keep the expectations at a nice top half finish.

View attachment 249824

Being a lower league side, transfer budgets aren't quite as important, because there is a lot of talent available for free on the market. So the first thing I did was to maximize my wage budget.

View attachment 249825

Meet the Players!

To have any chance of being successful, I must identify the best players I have(sadly they were lacking in... any decent players)
So, the first player I identified as one of our best was Andy Hall. He would be a mainstay in our team for the immediate future.

View attachment 249832
Andy Hall 25yr old M/AM R

I also found another player that would be important in my first season as manager. At 29 years old, Leon Hibbert would be part of my team for 2 or 3 seasons at best, but will be important in our midfield for now.

View attachment 249833
Leon Hibbert 29yr old M(C)

Tactical Wizardry time

Um, yeah, that tactical genius stuff... Lets just say I've never been good with tactics in FM, but I have to improve sometime surely?So, I decided on a 4-4-2. Yeah.
(H)

View attachment 249834

Aren't I a genius?

Dipping into the Transfer Market

So, I managed to scour out a little gem for my lowly team called Thomas Gregg Lopes Da Silva(he's welsh)He would hopefully be banging in the goals sometime soon.

View attachment 249835

There are a couple of other players I also have my eye on, which should hopefully add a bit of quality in other areas.

First Impressions Matter

View attachment 249837
Corby 2 - 3 Corby Res.
da Silva,Hibbert

:'(
So, this first game was really frustrating, watching my hapless defenders being carved open by godlike AI players from my reserves. Still despite having been beaten, we were by far the best team. It was a shame they scored nearly every shot they had. There are positives from this however, as the attacking movement of the team was breathtaking at times.(Yes you did read that right)With a bit more preparation, this tactic could end up being fantastic in the league.So, next time, I will finish off the pre-season, hopefully in decent shape.(If you enjoyed it so far please leave a comment :D)​

Last edited:
Finishing off the Pre-Season

Some Signings

Since the first game I made a couple more signings, and am already at the limits of my wage budget, sadly. But I believe I've picked up some pretty decent players with a lot of potential.

View attachment 249842 View attachment 249843 View attachment 249844

Time to move on to finishing off my pre-season!

Progress Made!

View attachment 249845
Corby 2 - 1 Bromley
Mullarkey,Hawkins

View attachment 249846
Corby 1 - 3 Hereford
Gordon

View attachment 249847
Corby 4 - 2 Dartford
Keefe(2),Towers,Mayo

View attachment 249848
Grantham 0 - 3 Corby
da Silva(3)

View attachment 249849
Cambridge C 3 - 4 Corby
da Silva(2),Towers,Mullarkey

Overall Pre-Season Performance

I was mostly happy with how my team performed after that first loss to our reserves. Our attacking play was excellent, and we bagged quite a few goals. However, the defence still needs work, we simply conceded too much. The main disappointment was the Hereford game, mainly because of all the chances we had. Since we failed to put them away, Hereford were able to take advantage of defensive mistakes and punish us.

Despite this, I'm very pleased with the performance of one of my players, da Silva and hereby bestow upon him the trophy of Pre-Season God, one he should treasure his entire career **** it!

View attachment 249853

And finally here's a screeny of all our results so far!

View attachment 249854

Month 1 - A Great Start

An Excellent Start

View attachment 249864
Harrogate 2 - 1 Corby
da Silva

View attachment 249865
Corby 3 - 2 Altrincham
Hawkins,Gulliver,da Silva

View attachment 249866
Gloucester 2 - 2 Corby
Hibbert,Gordon

View attachment 249867
Corby 3 - 0 Worcester
Towers,Mayo,Hawkins

View attachment 249868
Stalybridge 1 - 3 Corby
Hawkins(2),da Silva

View attachment 249869
Corby 3 - 0 Guiseley
Mayo(2),Hawkins

Despite a bad first game where we unfortunately lost out, we rallied in the next 5 games to record 4 wins and a draw. :)

This puts us second in the Blue Square North, and currently over-achieving. Hopefully the honeymoon period lasts!

View attachment 249870 View attachment 249871

Fan's Player of the Month!

Only one player can take this accolade, and that is Paul Mayo, the club's current first choice left midfielder. His performance has been exemplary in the last few games. Its just a shame he's 29. :'(

View attachment 249872

Transfer News!

It wasn't a particularly busy month for me, with only 4 players signed, but with a low wage budget, its hard to get a lot of freebies.

View attachment 249873

English Transfer Window Summary

View attachment 249874

Month 2 - Ending with a Disaster

An average Month

View attachment 249897
Workington 0 - 2 Corby
Towers,Hawkins

View attachment 249898
Corby 3 - 0 Gainsborough
Hall,da Silva,Towers

View attachment 249899
Corby 2 - 2 Hinckley
Mullarkey,da Silva

View attachment 249900
Eastwood 0 - 4 Corby
Sánchez,Smith,Cooper(og),da Silva

View attachment 249901
Nuneaton 5 - 0 Corby

Nothing much to say about the last game, except that the team was a shambles. The players couldn't string anything together. Hopefully we can rectify the huge morale hit by thrashing Grantham in the FA cup 2nd qualifying round. :(

Sadly, Hawkins did end up getting injured for several weeks. He should be back in mid October to help us continue our run!

View attachment 249902

Andy Hall had an outstanding month filled with assists, he fully deserves this.

And we end this month being 1st in the league by a narrow margin

View attachment 249903

Time to achieve some results in the cup competitions next month and keep ourselves up at the top end of the table! (H)​

Month 3 - A Good Run Cut Short

Sobbing in my boots

View attachment 249947
FA Cup Qual.
Grantham 0 - 3 Corby
Mayo,da Silva,Towers

View attachment 249948
BSN
Corby 3 - 1 Histon
da Silva(3)

View attachment 249949
BSN
Corby 4 - 1 Solihull Moors
Mayo,da Silva(2),Bexfield

View attachment 249950
FA Cup Qual.
Corby 6 - 1 Histon

da Silva(3),Bexfield,Mayo,Mullarkey

View attachment 249951
BSN
Hyde 0 - 1 Corby

da Silva

View attachment 249952
FA Cup Qual
Redditch 3 - 1 Corby

Towers

We had a fantastic month overall, but I won't pretend that the cup loss to Redditch hurt a lot. Especially as my whole team decided they weren't football players for the day. However, the run in the league is going strong, and we have earned a nice wad of cash for winning 2 cup games.
A particular highlight of the month was thrashing Histon 6-1 (H)

We're happily sitting in 1st place in the league. I don't want to tempt fate but we may be promoted in my first season. :D

View attachment 249954 View attachment 249955

View attachment 249953
Thomas Gregg Lopes da Silva
(That welsh guy)

Fully deserved this accolade, he scored so much it was unbelievable. He's suddenly become the squad's most valuable player, and I may have a hard time keeping him.

Recognition! AT LAST!

View attachment 249956

Yeah, it wasn't that meaningful.

Hopefully we can do well in the league and the FA Trophy next month!​

Month 4 - Stalling

Stalling Slightly

View attachment 249983
BSN
Vauxhall 2 -2 Corby

da Silva,Mayo

View attachment 249984
BSN
Corby 0 - 0 Blyth

View attachment 249985
BSN
FC Halifax 0 - 1 Corby

Mullarkey

View attachment 249986
BSN
Corby 0 - 0 Droylsden

View attachment 249987
FA Trophy Qual.
Corby 3 - 1 Mickleover

da Silva(2),Hart

New Signing

View attachment 249988
Sam Hart 19yr old M(L)

Sam Hart had a decent start for our team, grabbing a goal in his second game against Mickleover. He will provide some much needed cover for Mayo/Bexfield out on the left.

View attachment 249989
Ashley Towler

The right back put in several solid performances this month, and really shored up our defence.

We are still 1st in the league, but with some of the goals drying up, I can only hope it was the quality of the opposition and not my beloved strikers losing a bit of form.

View attachment 249990 View attachment 249991

Till next time!:)

Nice Story mate, I'm really enjoying it. Keep it up ^^)!

Month 5 - I'm starting to like Harrogate

The Harrogate Month!

View attachment 250011
BSN
Corby 2 - 1 Bishop's Stortford

Giddings(og),Hawkins

View attachment 250012
FA Trophy 1st Rd.
Harrogate 1 - 1 Corby

da Silva

View attachment 250013
FA Trophy 1st Rd. Replay
Corby 5 - 1 Harrogate

Bloomer(og),Hall,da Silva(2),Sánchez

Before going into my next game, I couldn't help but notice this:

View attachment 250014

Mind = Blown

View attachment 250015
BSN
Colwyn Bay 1 - 1 Corby

Mullarkey

View attachment 250016
BSN
Corby 2 - 1 Boston Utd

Mayo,Hibbert

View attachment 250017
BSN
Corby 4 - 1 Harrogate

da Silva,Towers,Gulliver,Mayo

View attachment 250018
BSN
Altrincham 1 - 3 Corby

Towers,da Silva,Mullarkey

Corby Are Too Mean

After the Altrincham game, the manager was sacked. Yeah... Sorry about that buddy:(

Also, this month was Harrogate month, with having to play them twice in the FA Trophy 1st Round, and once in the league. All I can say is that we definitely wouldn't have had to replay it if Towers wasn't sent off in the first few minutes. Despite that, we almost won that game. Then we trounced them at home...twice. Fun.

So Corby are still going strong, and really playing good football. Sitting comfortably in 1st in the league, with a 12 game unbeaten streak.(No joke)

View attachment 250019

View attachment 250022 View attachment 250023

View attachment 250020
Thomas Gregg Lopes da Silva

Who else but the almighty goal machine?

Another MOTM!

View attachment 250021

Until next time! (6)​

Should be able to start posting updates again tomorrow, been busy recently :D