correlation between team instructions and mentality

chippyluke

Reaction score
hi guys

As the title says is there a correlation between team instructions and mentality? is there a set of instruction that you always use when you pick your mentality and build on top of or does it not really matter

any advice on this would be appreciated

thanks

hi guys

As the title says is there a correlation between team instructions and mentality? is there a set of instruction that you always use when you pick your mentality and build on top of or does it not really matter

any advice on this would be appreciated

thanks

Yes, the correlation is that they work alongside each-other but there is a hierarchy: Mentality>Team Instruction (TI)
mentlaity influences the TIs but the TIs don't influence the mentality.

Mentality is often over complicated and I think the naming scheme adds to that.
Look at the extremes (contain and overload). That is a giant clue about what the mentalities mean. "Contain" is essentially saying "be absolutely sure about what you're doing and don't do it unless you're absolutely convinced it'll work" while Overload is like telling your players "Go for it. If it has a 1% chance of scoring a goal, that's good enough. Get out there and win by any means necessary."

Now once you've established the mentality they take into the game, the Team instructions give you further fine tuning to give specific examples on how they apply that mentality. What kind of things they will focus on doing, but bare in mind that the TI is just how the set up and what they try to do, Mentality will influence how they try to do those things.

The best description of Mentality is as a risk barometer. Think of Contain as "Take no risks"; so the team plays narrow, low tempo, low defensive line, short passing.etc Overload is the polar opposite.

TI's are supposed to enhance that. So, let's say you're on Defensive. What that tells us is that you are playing quite deep, very narrow, slow safe football and keeping the ball until the opposition expose themselves to your counterattack. You might want to enhance that by increasing width slightly, especially if you were playing with 3 CDs or a 3 man midfield because you don't want them tripping over each other. Its not necessary to do it, you can play Defensive just fine without it but it might enhance the application of your Mentality. That really is all there is to it.

I highly highly highly recommend you read this guide. I reread it every year before I fire up the new FM because it's such a wonderful resource for understanding how every aspect of the tactics creator works. I'm posting this mainly for OP's benefit but any of y'all reading the thread who haven't read this should definitely do so: https://community.sigames.com/topic...acticians-handbook-for-football-manager-2015/

thank you for your replies guys, ill have a read of that chivu thank you

I'm not so sure about the other posts on here, my understanding is that 'Mentality' is all about your teams position on the pitch in relation to the play or player with the ball. It doesn't mean take more or less risks at all.

Contain, Defensive & Counter all position most players behind the ball (with or without possession). Counter is a little different in that when your team has the ball the tempo is high and players tend to bomb forward more in the middle of the pitch.

Contain and Attacking position more players ahead of the player with the ball so there are more options ahead of the play when you are in possession and when you win back possession. Forwards and attack minded midfielders will neglect defensive duties unless you want them to close down high up the pitch where they are already positioned.

Mentality>TIs.

As many have said the name 'Mentality' is completely misleading. Defensive will often suit teams with an attacking formation, particularly possession based systems as player on the ball has more options to recycle the ball. It can keep attacking minded midfielders in check.

Last edited: