eddybw

Reaction score
4t7N2.png

Page last updated at 15:01 GMT, Thursday 2nd June 2012

Mark-Hughes-001.jpg

zs3lf.png

Mark Hughes resigns as Fulham manager

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has resigned after less than a year in charge of the Cottagers.

Hughes, who had been linked with the vacant managerial position at Aston Villa has tendered his resignation at Fulham, and has left the club with immediate effect.

This will come as a shock to Fulham fans, with the London based club, having secured a place in the Europa League, via the Fair Play League, as well as finishing in a comfortable mid-table position.

Having handed in his resignation, Mark Hughes insisted that there had been no approach from another club influencing his decision to leave Fulham.

"As a young ambitious manager I feel that this is the right time for me to move on," said Mark Hughes following his resignation.

"I believe that both my management team and my back room staff have done a great job, and leave Fulham with a strong foundation to build on in the up-coming season.

"My decision to leave Fulham has not been influenced by any third parties, and is a decision based purely on my ambition of where I want to be."

Following Mark Hughes' resignation there will no doubt be intense speculation as to who will replace the 47-year-old Welshman, with club chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed looking to act swiftly ahead of the up-coming 2011/2012 campaign.

Also related to this story
Taylor demands bold Villa action 02 Jun 2011 | ​ASTON VILLA
Houllier steps down as Villa boss 01 Jun 2011 |​ASTON VILLA
Houllier named Aston VIlla boss 08 Sep 2010 |​SPORT

​Share this story
zs3lf.png

Last edited:
4t7N2.png

Page last updated at 10:15 GMT, Friday 3rd June 2012

Mohamed-Al-Fayed-001.jpg

zs3lf.png

Al-Fayed wants 'right' appointment

Fulham owner Mohamed Al-Fayed has revealed that he will not rush into making an appointment and wants the right man for the job.

In the early hours of yesterday evening, Mark Hughes surprised many Cottagers fans, by announcing that he had tendered his resignation and had left the London-based club with immediate effect.

Today, Fulham chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed has spoked of his desire to bring in the 'right' man to lead Fulham forward.

"It's important that the right appointment is made," Al-Fayed told BBC Sport.

"Mark served us well during his season here, but it's going to be important that the decision is the right one that will allow us to take this club forward. There is a fantastic base here and the squad competitive and I am confident that providing the right decisions are made then we continue to make strives forward as a football club.

"It is still early days, and the season has just finished, so a short-list will be drawn up and the necessary processes will be followed in ensuring that we bring in a man that take us forward."

Early speculation emerging from Craven Cottage is that Mohamed Al-Fayed will be looking to appoint a manager who has both experience of the Premier League, and European pedigree, with the Cottagers once again set to compete in the Europa League.

Also related to this story
Mark Hughes resigns as Fulham boss 02 Jun 2011 | ​FULHAM
Taylor demands bold Villa action
02 Jun 2011 |
ASTON VILLA
Houllier steps down as Villa boss 01 Jun 2011 |
​ASTON VILLA

​Share this story
zs3lf.png

Last edited: