north dakota

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a question. Is this possible to make tactic like this ?

https://www.facebook.com/Troll.Foot...971365443086/1317567501616796/?type=1&theater

Could anyone help me with this, give some instructions or smth ? I guess it's about having the ball (65% possesion or smth like this) and making good and fast counter attacks. I watched Atletico Madrid vs FC Barcelona and few days ago Athletic Bilbao vs FC Barcelona and I was surprised how good barca played, amazing ball possesion and amazing counter attacks. What should I use for this? Control or what ? Fluid or what ? Thanks for help guys.

Sorry for bad English.
Cheers.

I personally like to be a high press, possession, low tempo passing team. But like you I also want to counter when the counter is on.

I've actually been toying with this a bit lately. My team instructions in a wide 4-2-3-1 are typically, Much Lower Tempo, Short Passing, Retain Possession, Work Ball into Box, Push Higher Up, Play Wider, Exploit the Middle, and Prevent GK Short Distribution. And I play with a Control mentality (80% of my games anyways).

Players will follow your instructions to certain degrees depending on their personalities and how competent they are in any given tactic. But players are players, and if Cesc Fabregas sees a long ball on from his own 18 on the break, he's going to play it, right?

Maybe. This is where I think expression vs. discipline comes in. Adding the "Be More Expressive" should allow your players to wander outside of your normal instructions - I would think spotting a counter and playing it would be a perfect example. I would try using this instruction, but only if you have a very high quality team. Another option would be to have your basic setup for your possession game, but give individual instructions. I.e. tell a couple of players to play more risky passes.

Tempo and directness logically seem most tied to countering. I wish there was a specific instruction to "Raise tempo if counter arises" or something better-worded. But again, I guess the idea is it comes back to player expression. I can tell you this: with that above tactic, Diego Costa does not hold up the ball. He'll turn and run at 4 players from the halfway line, usually to my annoyance. Same tactics and roles on my PSV game, Luuk De Jong is looking for a winger or CM as soon as he brings it down.

I haven't fully tested these ideas, they are partially theory. I'd also like to see some other people's ideas on this. Anyways, hope it helps!

I personally like to be a high press, possession, low tempo passing team. But like you I also want to counter when the counter is on.

I've actually been toying with this a bit lately. My team instructions in a wide 4-2-3-1 are typically, Much Lower Tempo, Short Passing, Retain Possession, Work Ball into Box, Push Higher Up, Play Wider, Exploit the Middle, and Prevent GK Short Distribution. And I play with a Control mentality (80% of my games anyways).

Players will follow your instructions to certain degrees depending on their personalities and how competent they are in any given tactic. But players are players, and if Cesc Fabregas sees a long ball on from his own 18 on the break, he's going to play it, right?

Maybe. This is where I think expression vs. discipline comes in. Adding the "Be More Expressive" should allow your players to wander outside of your normal instructions - I would think spotting a counter and playing it would be a perfect example. I would try using this instruction, but only if you have a very high quality team. Another option would be to have your basic setup for your possession game, but give individual instructions. I.e. tell a couple of players to play more risky passes.

Tempo and directness logically seem most tied to countering. I wish there was a specific instruction to "Raise tempo if counter arises" or something better-worded. But again, I guess the idea is it comes back to player expression. I can tell you this: with that above tactic, Diego Costa does not hold up the ball. He'll turn and run at 4 players from the halfway line, usually to my annoyance. Same tactics and roles on my PSV game, Luuk De Jong is looking for a winger or CM as soon as he brings it down.

I haven't fully tested these ideas, they are partially theory. I'd also like to see some other people's ideas on this. Anyways, hope it helps!

Play Wider with a mentality that sets players with more width can be dangerous, loosing possession and your team might give too much space between lines.

Be More Expressive doesn't tell players to forget your instructions, only tells players to do more than the instructions that were given.

Agree miguel, but it goes both ways. I want to spread their back 4 out so I can get those diagonal runs going. I don't recommend it as an underdog.

And as for your be more expressive comments, I think we are agreeing actually, just a different choice of words.

(also sorry for that double post)

I use 4-3-3 with regista and 2 inside forwards. I am playing barca and I've made good tiki-taka tactic but want to add counters to this. I've added "be more expressive" instruction and will tell you how it goes. Is "hold up the ball" good instruction for inside forwards and for Suarez who is playing as Advanced Forward ?

ND, in general, hold-up play is for teams that are very direct or go route one. It's really the antithesis of what you wanna do with Barca (of course there are always exceptions).

Basically, think teams that keep the bus parked, with a lone striker (typically a target man or big guy) trying to pounce on clearances. Or teams whose midfields are outclassed by the opposition (not you). He tries to hold up the long ball so his midfielders can get out of their own third, and he lays off to one of them.