Counter Attack Tactical Effects

Wilsonrtf

Reaction score
Recently I´ve been studying the two major tactical theories available in this forum, the TTF and the TBH sets. Yet, I have some doubts related to the Counter Attack option, wich I´d like to share.

As far as I understand, the Counter Attack option makes the squad more prone to launching fast attacks against the opposition, after recovering the ball in the defense. But:

1 - Does it suits well with an attacking approach tactic? I mean, does the use of counter attack makes it harder to organize cohesive attacks, when your team is trying to break the opposition defense?

2 - At a first look, counter attacks seems to suit better with quick tempo and rare time wasting. But is it possible to organize slow tempo and precise counter attacks combined with some time wasting for a good positioning of the attackers?

3 - Counter attacks seems to work well with direct passing. But, again, is it possible to organize very fast counter attacks with short passing, like Wenger's Arsenal did in the past - scoring goals with seven to ten quick, short passes, from defense to goal line?

4 - Does the use of counter attacks makes it harder for the players formation to hold tight and organized?

I´d appreciate the thoughts of more experienced FM managers on this subject.

Thanks.

With regards to short passing i agree about that. If i want to counter i tend to have my defenders long passing but the rest short passing. However, i wouldn't approach counter attacks like this on a long pitch as the short passes will most likely be intercepted

The idea of counter attacking to to invite a team to attack you then hit them when they have committed too many men forward.To achieve this you should play defensive and deep,you will also need very quick wingers and strikers to allow you to hit teams on the break.There is no need to play direct,it can be just as effective with short passing but you should have high tempo and low time wasting to ensure the passing is quick and crisp.

some good points, my tactics are fast,direct,qucik football & i do play counter attacking football but dunno if i really need it ?

The idea of counter attacking to to invite a team to attack you then hit them when they have committed too many men forward.To achieve this you should play defensive and deep,you will also need very quick wingers and strikers to allow you to hit teams on the break.There is no need to play direct,it can be just as effective with short passing but you should have high tempo and low time wasting to ensure the passing is quick and crisp.

I´ve been designing one specific tactic where I use counter attack with a veryu offensive formation and high push up and closing down. It is working very well at home, and good, away, against smaller teams. Yet, agains equal, or superior squads, it suffers heavily. Maybe I´ll try an away version that uses no counter attack and slow tempo, to see how it fares ...

Simply make the Away one more defensive,counter attacking is something usually employed away from home.

I´ve been trying a more defensive approach, but it´s showing mixed results only.

It´s curious, because brazillian managers relly heavy on counter attacks away and at home. All brazillian champions from this decade were very good at counter attacks.

I am currently playing Arsenal and am using a slow tempo, short passing, normal time wasting with counter attacking. One thing I noticed is that my defenders tends to pump the ball forward even though they are set to short passing. This may be the result of having counter attacking. This can result in loss of possession.

I may try increasing the tempo and reduce time wasting so that the players deliver the ball upwards in quick successive passes instead of letting my defenders pump the ball forward. However I believe quick tempo games would require good/quality players with good anticipation, first touch, passing, movement into spaces else it may also end up with loss poession.

I am currently playing Arsenal and am using a slow tempo, short passing, normal time wasting with counter attacking. One thing I noticed is that my defenders tends to pump the ball forward even though they are set to short passing. This may be the result of having counter attacking. This can result in loss of possession.

I may try increasing the tempo and reduce time wasting so that the players deliver the ball upwards in quick successive passes instead of letting my defenders pump the ball forward. However I believe quick tempo games would require good/quality players with good anticipation, first touch, passing, movement into spaces else it may also end up with loss poession.
Quick tempo will also require players with composure and high stamina.Counter attack is about getting the ball from the defensive 3rd to the attacking 3rd as quickly as possible.I find it works well if you have lightning quick wingers then focus the passing to the flanks,then defenders wont just lump it forward as often.

A very quick MC or AMC, with good passing and flair, working as a playmaker, can also prepare very good counter attacks.