dakofsta

Reaction score
I have been trying throughout fm 14 and the fm 15 beta to have a counter attacking tactic that would work away against big teams, but it literally never does. Does anybody have any idea of how to replicate a counter attacking side? FYI I am managing Southampton

TI: whipped crossess, play narrower, drop deeper or much deeper, stick to position, close down less or close down much less, lower or much lower tempo, more disciplined. No other instructions. Combine that with counter mentality and appropriate fluidity, and that's it...

TI: whipped crossess, play narrower, drop deeper or much deeper, stick to position, close down less or close down much less, lower or much lower tempo, more disciplined. No other instructions. Combine that with counter mentality and appropriate fluidity, and that's it...

I would agree with all of this except the tempo. You can only set the tempo when you have the ball and when you have the ball you want to quickly get it up the pitch to catch the opposition out. I would therefore say go for a higher tempo.

I would agree with all of this except the tempo. You can only set the tempo when you have the ball and when you have the ball you want to quickly get it up the pitch to catch the opposition out. I would therefore say go for a higher tempo.

I play counter attacking with a lower tempo and it works a treat. It's better for the standard of my players, so they choose the better pass and take more time to execute it. The passing is still direct and swift enough to be effective.

I play counter attacking with a lower tempo and it works a treat. It's better for the standard of my players, so they choose the better pass and take more time to execute it. The passing is still direct and swift enough to be effective.

It might work, but that is a bug in my eyes. Counter Attacking is by definition turning defense over to offense sooner than the other team can revert and fall into their defensive positions. Doing this with a low tempo passing game should be impossible if there was any realism in the ME.

It might work, but that is a bug in my eyes. Counter Attacking is by definition turning defense over to offense sooner than the other team can revert and fall into their defensive positions. Doing this with a low tempo passing game should be impossible if there was any realism in the ME.

I think it may depend on your approach somewhat. If you want to play a swift counter attacking style like Liverpool or Dortmund, I'd go with short passing and higher tempo.

I have opted for a more direct counter attack, with long balls to the wide areas, so I have direct passing, clear ball to flanks, lower tempo and exploit the flanks. It works well for my lower league players as their passing and decision making is so low.

well, actually, counter attacking in football means attacking on the break....when there IS a counter attack opportunity...when that happens, players will automatically increase tempo and go for the counter...when there is no counter opportunity, they mostly do patient passing, where tempo needs to be lowish. With a less agressive mentality like counter, you dont want more agressive TI like higher tempo...less agressive mentality means lower defensive line, narrower width, and since tempo and width should be linked, it is better to go with lower tempo...

Last edited:
I think it may depend on your approach somewhat. If you want to play a swift counter attacking style like Liverpool or Dortmund, I'd go with short passing and higher tempo.

I have opted for a more direct counter attack, with long balls to the wide areas, so I have direct passing, clear ball to flanks, lower tempo and exploit the flanks. It works well for my lower league players as their passing and decision making is so low.

with more direct passing, you will require high pace and acceleration from your wingers....they might get injured or tired before the match is over, and you probably want them fresh for counters...not to mention that with counter mentality, your team is naturally closer to each other in order to defend better, since this is basically a more cautius approach...going more agressive with a less agressive mentality usually doesn't end well...with clear ball to flanks, you have ordered your sidebacks more agressive mentality, which may make them out of position to guard their winger, they will be to high up, And with exploit the flanks, you have pushed your wingers higher and wider, which may trigger the offside trap, and you also made a large gap on those flanks allowing opponent to exploit it. Those TI's you picked would perhaps fit a more agressive mentality.

with more direct passing, you will require high pace and acceleration from your wingers....they might get injured or tired before the match is over, and you probably want them fresh for counters...not to mention that with counter mentality, your team is naturally closer to each other in order to defend better, since this is basically a more cautius approach...going more agressive with a less agressive mentality usually doesn't end well...with clear ball to flanks, you have ordered your sidebacks more agressive mentality, which may make them out of position to guard their winger, they will be to high up, And with exploit the flanks, you have pushed your wingers higher and wider, which may trigger the offside trap, and you also made a large gap on those flanks allowing opponent to exploit it. Those TI's you picked would perhaps fit a more agressive mentality.

I do get caught out by aggressive full backs. My main problem has been that the wingers still play quite narrow because of the TI and don't stay as wide as I would like. It has been a tactic that has scored many goals (3.9 per game) but also conceded a lot (1.9 per game). I'm certain much of this is down to the teething problems with the match engine though.

I do get caught out by aggressive full backs. My main problem has been that the wingers still play quite narrow because of the TI and don't stay as wide as I would like. It has been a tactic that has scored many goals (3.9 per game) but also conceded a lot (1.9 per game). I'm certain much of this is down to the teething problems with the match engine though.

It's not a good idea to go against the match engine...more agressive approach calls for more agressive options and vice versa....counter is a more cautious approcah, and that basically means you are trying not to conceede and use every attack opportunity you get, it's not meant to score a ton of goals. If you get that many goals with a cautious approach, you are doing something wrong. Like I wrote, you should perhaps try control or attack mentality with your TI, it fits them better. You might get the effect of constant countering with it if that is what you are after. Or you could keep counter mentality and chose less agressive TI, to scrape 1-0 or maybe 2-0 wins...

It's not a good idea to go against the match engine...more agressive approach calls for more agressive options and vice versa....counter is a more cautious approcah, and that basically means you are trying not to conceede and use every attack opportunity you get, it's not meant to score a ton of goals. If you get that many goals with a cautious approach, you are doing something wrong. Like I wrote, you should perhaps try control or attack mentality with your TI, it fits them better. You might get the effect of constant countering with it if that is what you are after. Or you could keep counter mentality and chose less agressive TI, to scrape 1-0 or maybe 2-0 wins...

Oh I agree, I want clean sheets and narrow wins, but the way that the ME is currently, I haven't found that possible yet. It's never a bad thing getting a ton of goals, it's the amount that my opponents score that is frustrating me!

I just made this. check it out and work from here, if you'd like...

View attachment 331893

As you can see, I was under barrage, and they even had three ccc's but couldn't convert.

Last edited:
I just made this. check it out and work from here, if you'd like...

View attachment 698897

As you can see, I was under barrage, and they even had three ccc's but couldn't convert.

"under barrage"? Other than the shots on goal everything else looks quite even. 50/50 possession, you got lucky with your CCC's and theirs. You even had more corners than they did.