neiltrain

Reaction score
hi,

i'm playing 4-1-4-1 and the default tactics creator has counter attacking set to YES.

however, when i switch to NO, NONE of the team settings or sliders seem to change, so i'm wondering what the difference is?

i'd also like to try to understand the advantages and disadvantages of playing a counter-attacking game. there must be a downside, i'm sure.

basically i tend to play attacking as my starting strategy, very fluid, shorter passing and i tend to go for a low tempo due to the fact that my players have good off-the-ball and composure stats so can afford to take longer to make the correct decision.

really would be nice if someone can explain to me what counter-attacking DOES and how it shows itself in the tactics creator or indivudual or team settings, because i cant see any difference/.

thanks!

Counter attacking is about soaking up pressure and then trying to score on the break. So with this setting on, when your team get the ball they will try to get the ball forward as quickly as possible to score (hopefully). :)

counter attack "yes" - more direct passing during breaks and higher tempo

hmmm, thanks for that.

still, i dont understand: if the sliders dont change depending on whether countering is ticked, YES or NO, how can my team know to break? as far as i can see - and i intend to thoroughly check - passing style, tempo etc arent changed when i switch from NO to YES or the other way around.

is there some HIDDEN tactical instruction somewhere asking players to bomb foraard? cos i thought EVERYTHING is dependent on the sliders??

I play a similar formation with a counter set up. I don't have counter attack on yes, but my team are very effective at scoring on the break...

i read a post on another site saying that DURING the counter-attack tempo and mentality are maxed, and they revert to the normal slider settings once the move is over.

can someone tell me why the standard SI 4-1-4-1 has counter ticked? someone told me having a good ball-winning DM is useful for countering but i dont see exactly how, really want to try to understand this.

there MUST also be cons of a counter approach, can someone let me know what they are? cheers....

can someone tell me why the standard SI 4-1-4-1 has counter ticked? someone told me having a good ball-winning DM is useful for countering but i dont see exactly how, really want to try to understand this.
the DM will win the ball back an then offload it to a more creative and attack minded player to start a counter attack.
if you cant get the ball you cant counter

If you want to play shorter passing, don't have CA ticked. They'll do it anyway but won't just launch it upfield on the counter.

but surely a stopper/ball playing defender can win the ball back and instigate a counter? why specificially the need for a DM? is it just becaue it's an extra body trying to win the ball back?

and thanks for the response re.disadvantages, yes, them scoring first would appear to be a bit of a downer!

is it maybe that playing countre means less possession? becauase you just wait and wait for them to give you your ball back?

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

thanks. i'd almost decided to ditch counter no matter what the TC suggests. basically i like shorter passing and lower, much lower, tempo.

i buy players with great composure and off the ball so we can build up more patiently and intelligently (oh, i have a high-decisions team too).

is there a good thread anywhere saying the disadvantages of a counter-attack approach ? ok, i wont be employing it but my curiosity means i really want to understand, if someone can help me, what are the pros and cons of this approach, the WHY people adopt it or dont adopt it?

but surely a stopper/ball playing defender can win the ball back and instigate a counter? why specificially the need for a DM? is it just becaue it's an extra body trying to win the ball back?
i think its because the DM will win it higher up the pitch.
you dont want them to close to your area or the could score a long shot