Reaction score
hey guys

okay I've been wonderign at the counter attacking box. Click on it and you'll counter-strike that's a fact, but the question is do you ONLY counterattack, sitting ducks waiting for a recuperation? Or do you play your game and when an opportunity is given you counterattack?
Because it actually could perfectly used for agressive atatcking formations. Any ideas welcomed, facts heavily thanked.

It makes the team look to counter-attack at every opportunity they can spot, or think they spot. The impact it will have on your game will vary depending on how you're trying to play - not much point trying to counterattack at every opportunity if you're trying to control possession as you'll just end up hitting long balls for the opposition to clear up.

ok thanks yeah I had assumed that but since by telford side is playing frankly quite horribly usually it is about long balls forward (and you know maybe how much I hate that) anyway thanks for the answer I was afraid the team would just sit hours and hours and only counter since the AI isn't precisely incredible.

Nah, it just tells your players to get the ball forward quickly when the opposition is out of position. You can actually get counter-attacking football without having the option set - if you do, it tends to mean that your tactics and team are good :)

For Telford playing long ball, it would tend to mean that eg after a corner against you, your player in possession will look to punt it to the corner flag for your strikers to run onto rather than look for the ball to feet. Can be quite useful against keepers who are shy of leaving their area and if you have a nippy striker who is able to get to the 'pass'.

I play quick attack football anyways so the counter attack option works well within my team but id imagine if yours did not its still a useful tactic. get forward when the opposition is at its weakest!

The way that SI( or Paul Collyer) have explained how the counter box works, have helped me enormously. To sum it up, he wrote something like this in a thread over at SI( I will not even try to find it as its in one of the many rant threads with lots of posts:) )

When regaining possession, the team will look to attack with an mentality of 20 ( !!) regardless if they are set to mentality of 1 or 19.

They will do more or less frequent depending on the team mentality and how many men that the AI have behind the ball versus how many our team have in-front of it.

A team set to 19 in mentality will launch these counter attacks more often as they will allow the AI to have more men behind the ball in proportion to ours in-front of it. A team, set to 1 in mentality will launch them less frequently as they need to be in advantage of players to do so.

This is also why a slow but yet very attacking counter tactic can work so well. If we gain possession high up in the field we launch quick attacks but if we gain possession further down the field the build up will be more patient.

Last edited: