Zero0o

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a passionate football fan who started to get an interest in FM a few weeks ago, I use to buy the games, but I usually start to get bored of it since I have this habit of never wanting to lose nor draw, but only win. Seeing a 100% winning record on my manager profile delights me more than the actual game, weirdly enough.

So then, 2 weeks ago or so I decided to open FM 2013 and give it another try (without repeating matches) while I was looking for tactics to download, Most of what I found were lame tiki taka attempts; which just don't interest me.

But you know what interests me?

Swift transitioning, direct, counter attacking football. Now before anyone that is diagnosed with Tiki Takaosis meaning more possession = more entertaining and better and having less possession = parking the bus, stop right there. I don't find teams like Chelsea 11/12 entertaining nor did I find Inter 09/10, Greece 04 entertaining. But, rather I found teams like BVB 12/13, Brazil 13 CC, to play much more entertaining football than other counter attack teams like Madrid, Real Sociedad, Man Utd and Bayern (They weren't a possession team under Heynecks it's just that they were so much more better than other teams they dominated there matches in the BL). Why I find BVB more entertaining than the 4 teams I listed above? Simple those teams counter attack with few players against an even fewer defense while teams like BVB outnumbered the opposition when they counter attacked, it was usually 7 on 3/4.

Now here lies the objective, is it possible to counter attack and transition as a unit on the counter attack regularly on FM? Or can you only counter attack with few players against an even fewer defense.

I've seen a similar attempt with the 6-2-2-0 formation were Shyftyy puts his team in the defensive phase as his main formation and then they swiftly transition and counter attack, but I don't like fielding a formation in the defensive phase as my main formation and I just don't see enough counters during the match.

Then there is also Raikan who is recreating a BVB tactic, but I feel his tactic is more similar to the one they fielded with the bunch of Kagawa, Sahin and Barrios rather than the bunch of Reus, Gotze (before he went to Bayern) and Gundogan. The latter bunch play more direct and counter unlike the first bunch.

TL;DR Is it possible to swiftly transition and overload the opposition's defense on the counter attack on FM? If someone has done it pls provide the link. If no one has done it yet, we can work on it together and try to make it ourselves.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has created a tactic like that but I may be wrong, as I don't download tactics, but to do what you are saying you would need all of your players or at least fullbacks/wingbacks, mids, and forwards with high pace 15 and up. I would also play with wingbacks instead of fullbacks and Box-to-Box Midfielders and a Poacher or a Defensive Forward. For the wingers I would make them Inside Forwards or Defensive Wingers.

It would look something like this:

---------------------------Sweeper Keeper---------------------------
(Support)
----------------------BPD---------------------BPD----------------------
(Cover)------------------(Defend)
Wingback-----------------------------------------------------Wingback
(Automatic)---------------------------------------------------(Automatic)
----------------------BBM-------BBM-------BBM----------------------

Inside Forward-----------------------------------------Inside Forward
(Attack)------------------------------------------------------(Attack)
---------------------------------Poacher---------------------------------

OR

-----------------------------Goalkeeper-----------------------------

--------------------------------Libero--------------------------------
(Attack)
----------------------------------BPD----------------------------------
(Stopper)
Wingback-----------------------------------------------------Wingback
(Automatic)--------------------------------------------------(Automatic)
---------------------------BBM----------BBM---------------------------

Defensive Wingers----------Trequartista----------Defensive Wingers
(Attack)------------------------------------------------------(Attack)
---------------------------Advanced Forward---------------------------
(Attack)
Mix and Match the two to whatever suits your team.

OR here is a somewhat different idea

Fullback----------Central Defender---------BPD----------Fullback
(Automatic)----------(Stopper)----------(Cover)-------(Automatic)

Wide Midfielder----------------BBM----------------Wide Midfielder
(Automatic)--------------------------------------------(Automatic)
------------------------------------Advanced Playmaker---------
--------------------------------------------(Attack)---------------
Inside Forward----------Defensive Forward----------------------
(Attack)----------------------(Attack)-----------------------------

Hope It helps. :)

Last edited:

OR here is a somewhat different idea

Fullback----------Central Defender---------BPD----------Fullback
(Automatic)----------(Stopper)----------(Cover)-------(Automatic)

Wide Midfielder----------------BBM----------------Wide Midfielder
(Automatic)--------------------------------------------(Automatic)
-----------------------Advanced Playmaker-----------------------
-------------------------------(Attack)------------------------------
Inside Forward----------Defensive Forward--------Inside Forward
(Attack)----------------------(Attack)----------------------(Attack)

Hope It helps. :)

I count 12 players :/

Thank you trying my tactic, even though you didn't like it :)

The problem I have creating a mass counter like that is that it's very hard to get the strikers and wingers to track back. If they would do that to say around the halfway line, get the ball back and all sprint forward again then you would have the ability to overload the opposition.

The way it is now however is that the most forward players will stand around at the opposition's area keeping the other team's defenders busy(and not doing much themselves). If you do recover the ball that means your forward outlet is always covered. (which is why I started my tactic in the defensive positions)

Of course, my setting could be wrong but I do not think the ME allows the mass-counterattack you are looking for.

Last edited:
I've been also trying to develop good counter attacking tactics lately as i'm bored of possesion tactics. I've created 4-1-2-2-1, my main goal was to recreate Fellaini's role this year. It's not perfect yet (and I don't think it will ever be, I'm not tactic genius lol) and not fluid, I only played 2 games (second game was pre-season, I won 3-2 against bit better team) so far and tried it with only one team, but the results are very good. Here are some screenshots
View attachment 369703View attachment 369704View attachment 369705View attachment 369706View attachment 369707
I can upload the tactic if someone is interested, or upload more screenshots.

I've been also trying to develop good counter attacking tactics lately as i'm bored of possesion tactics. I've created 4-1-2-2-1, my main goal was to recreate Fellaini's role this year. It's not perfect yet (and I don't think it will ever be, I'm not tactic genius lol) and not fluid, I only played 2 games (second game was pre-season, I won 3-2 against bit better team) so far and tried it with only one team, but the results are very good. Here are some screenshots
View attachment 369703View attachment 369704View attachment 369705View attachment 369706View attachment 369707
I can upload the tactic if someone is interested, or upload more screenshots.

I'd be interested to see that tactic, as I've been trying to create an effective counter-attack tactic and having only mixed success.

But that one set of screens is very impressive.