damiano874

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

Maybe it is good idea to create the topic where some experienced people would help to find the best tactic formation against every tactic which can be in use by AI.

For example... If AI plays 4-4-2, then probably the best formation to play against it is to use one which dominate the center of the pitch. But which one? 4-2-3-1 DM or 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2?

Also 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-3 are formations which create a lot of problems when we play against them.

Obviously, these tactical formations are used most of the time by AI. For sure, final result of the game depends on many parameters but as I can see from 2013 it seems that every shape of formation has a kind of leak.

Maybe someone is interested in doing some tests to find out in which direction / shape of formation we should go to create good formation? Also maybe we find out which shapes of formation are killers against the specific formations. It would be very useful to set the shape of formation which can be versatile.

It's just an idea...

What's of far more importance are your roles and duties etc, so it's more how you set up within a formation, rather than just the formation.

Though there's defnitely formations that tend to do well against others I wouldn't go ahead with this idea. That's simply due to the fact that the game punishses you for switching things around- especially so when it comes to formations- and rewards you for sticking with the same XI+formation.

Konsta_87 Though there's defnitely formations that tend to do well against others I wouldn't go ahead with this idea. That's simply due to the fact that the game punishses you for switching things around- especially so when it comes to formations- and rewards you for sticking with the same XI+formation.

Well, I thought that constant change of formation rewards you and when we stick to one, the AI punishes us.

Konsta_87 Though there's defnitely formations that tend to do well against others I wouldn't go ahead with this idea. That's simply due to the fact that the game punishses you for switching things around- especially so when it comes to formations- and rewards you for sticking with the same XI+formation.

Well, I thought that constant change of formation rewards you and when we stick to one, the AI punishes us.

I don't mean to say that there's no value in switching your formation according to your opponent but that the effect is pretty much +-0 in the long run. However as WJ said, keeping the same formation yet tweaking the roles, instructions, etc seems to carry a way smaller ''performance penalty'' than switching the formation altogether.

This sounds very game-y. You don't get punished specifically because you only use 1 formation. It's artificial and it isn't in FM. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant?

I don't mean to say that there's no value in switching your formation according to your opponent but that the effect is pretty much +-0 in the long run. However as WJ said, keeping the same formation yet tweaking the roles, instructions, etc seems to carry a way smaller ''performance penalty'' than switching the formation altogether.
You'll only get 'penalised' for changing TIs. Role, duty and PI changes aren't penalised regarding tactical familiarity, so you can make changes here without worrying.

Still, if you need to make formation or TI changes for a specific match do it in the match itself, for that match. After the match you can then carry on with your 'normal' tactic/formation. If a change needs to be made, make it. It's better to have a slightly unfamiliar tactic that is sound against your opposition, rather than having one that's familiar but full of weaknesses.