GoldenIron

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im playing an online save with a considerable amount of people and most of them use this very OP formation Mr L Tactics - Goodbye 3430 .
I was wondering if you know any tactic that can counter it as its getting annoying with the amount of people using it.

Park the bus and counter

the 3430 formations that are op all play like so:

3 defenders control the middle, 2 supporting midfielders bombing forward during attacks creating a 5 man overload inside vs your 2 or 3 central defenders/defensive midfielders. To compound this overload the WBs also cut inside as they are modified to play like IWB but work better as WBs cutting inside for whatever reason. SO now we are talking about 7 players all looking to exploit the golden zone at the edge of the box and then penetrate with a short through ball resulting in a goal.

Park the bus and counter

SO you can imagine the problem you are going to have trying to counter this with traditional 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-3-1 tactics right? you simple dont have the players in the area of the pitch you need them at best in the above formations suggested you will have 6 players defending 7. at best. if you play a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and both your central midfielders are DM or Set to CMd/DLPd roles.

The first piece of advise I can offer is do not attempt to use wingers, wide midfielders or anything wide to counter this formation. It wont work as wingers simply do not offer any form of closing down or defensive awareness to move in and help cover inside on this game - something not inline with reality (see ranieris leicester or simeones athletico)

Park the bus and counter

The second piece of advice is to set your tactic to the narrowest the team instructions will allow you to, this will help close up the gaps your opponent will attempt to exploit.

Now for the formation itself. I would recommend you go with 3 at the back - counter the 3 SS with 3 CDs, these can be stoppers (if theyre quicker good tacklers), defenders if balanced or Cover if you want to entice long shots and have other closing down options in midfield.

Okay so youve got 3 at the back. now is where the real counter will come in play - the defensive midfield. Have 2 DMs if you possible can. "oh but i dont want to be so defensive!" you might be thinking. Dont stress about that. A good way to set up IMO is like so

the 2 outside CDs should be set to cover. The middle CB set to Stopper. The 2 DMS set to BWMs and atleast one told to get further forward (essentially attempt to recreate a BBM out of BWM in the DM slot)

We need to know more about your team to give you detailed advice. There are lots of things that work against a 3-4-3 (even a strikerless one) but something that works great on paper but doesn't suit your players won't help much. If the screenshot further down that thread is an accurate representation of the formation/roles/duties, then that honestly seems like a really unbalanced tactic and there should be a number of ways around it.

Just in general though, remember a few things. Obviously the primary weakness of the 3-4-3 (or this, which is almost more of a 5-2-3) is down the flanks, where most standard 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 formations will outnumber it, so if you're playing a four-man defense, you should focus your buildup in wide areas, where you have the numerical advantage. Of course, with three true center backs, a crossing-oriented strategy isn't likely to have much success. You're more likely to get good results either from outside-in combination plays and pullbacks to players lurking outside the top of the box, so probably a good idea to have someone in that spot. Additionally, playing two forwards against three center backs is playing into your opponent's hands, because they have two man markers plus an additional defender. It's usually better to opt for one forward and a midfield three that allows you to outnumber their midfield two.

Can you maybe give a general description of what that 3-4-3 looks like in practice (where do they build their attacks/how, how do the various players behave without the ball, etc.) and some info about your team? That would really help us give you more specific advice. It's an interesting formation, but like I said, if that one screenshot is an accurate representation of the roles and duties, it seems unbalanced.

Park the bus and counter

On either side of the Defensive Mids place a Wing backs, my personal opinion is these can be IWB, WBsup or WBdef. also set them to close down a lot. So now you have 5 Tacklers and 2 cover guys in your back 7 covering their attempted overload in the middle.

Now how do we exploit a 3 on 3 at our end of the pitch? Answer: Spacing.

Park the bus and counter

I would set them up as a creator with 2 finishers - a false 9 and two shadow strikers or 2 inside forwards on Attack.

Now you could also join them on running a 3 SS or AMa setup which would also be effective here as it is the most OP way to set up in this years FM.

I would advise unless you have the personnel to do this its not necessary and not better than a DLF/F9/TMs with 2 IFs or SSa underneath

Most of these dudes your playing with wont have the tactical savvy to realise how youre countering them and what to do about it and I fully expect this to help you out a ton. the key will be the false 9. He should if this is working correctly be in a TON of space around the centre circle or a bit before or beyond it. Your opponents central 3 will back track and the false 9 should be able to dribble straight at the back 3 before being closed down and hitting a killer ball just before being tackled to one of your other 2 attackers

Play around with the roles - Poachers either side of the f9 might work, 2 f9s and a central poacher might work or a single TMs accompanied by 2 poachers might work! who knows maybe a more fm16 style of 2 DLFs and a AF will work or 2 AF 1 DLF.

Play around with the attack based on what you see but id start with a false 9 + 2 poachers/SS/AMa/IFs to start

Please go and look at the tactics hes describing.

We need to know more about your team to give you detailed advice. There are lots of things that work against a 3-4-3 (even a strikerless one) but something that works great on paper but doesn't suit your players won't help much. If the screenshot further down that thread is an accurate representation of the formation/roles/duties, then that honestly seems like a really unbalanced tactic and there should be a number of ways around it.

Just in general though, remember a few things. Obviously the primary weakness of the 3-4-3 (or this, which is almost more of a 5-2-3) is down the flanks, where most standard 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 formations will outnumber it, so if you're playing a four-man defense, you should focus your buildup in wide areas, where you have the numerical advantage. Of course, with three true center backs, a crossing-oriented strategy isn't likely to have much success. You're more likely to get good results either from outside-in combination plays and pullbacks to players lurking outside the top of the box, so probably a good idea to have someone in that spot. Additionally, playing two forwards against three center backs is playing into your opponent's hands, because they have two man markers plus an additional defender. It's usually better to opt for one forward and a midfield three that allows you to outnumber their midfield two.

Can you maybe give a general description of what that 3-4-3 looks like in practice (where do they build their attacks/how, how do the various players behave without the ball, etc.) and some info about your team? That would really help us give you more specific advice. It's an interesting formation, but like I said, if that one screenshot is an accurate representation of the roles and duties, it seems unbalanced.

He is referring to the OP 3430 formations posted on tactic websites that are extremely common and are described in detail in my first post.

My explanation I believe is the best way to counter this - please review it and give your thoughts - although it seems you have not come across these tactics before and therefore may not know how they exploit the match engine.

"Kill" their BBM midfielder. Tight marking for specific midfielder, close down for specific midfielder, tackle hard. If this player is unable to connect defensive players with strikers you can win easily