cartface21

Reaction score
For my first career on Fm13 I decided to take over as Coventry City manager - they were predicted a high finish, yet didnt have any transfer money, so the challenge was still there.

The lack of money was definately a problem as the budget was £0, but I managed to bag a few quality loan signings:
LB Danny Potts from West Ham - season loan
CM/RB Chris Herd from Aston Villa - season loan
Along with a few decent free transfers, we had a decent team.

After a rocky start and 18th after the first 7 games, i finally found that the typical 4-4-2 formation was the best one to use and preceded to move up the league. Coming up to January, we were the in form team: Unbeaten in 11 games and hadnt conceded in 4, and at this point we were in a very healthy 9th place, just 4 points off play offs. Coming into the January market, a young CB who I snapped up on a free transfer sold for just under £1m, so I was hoping some of this money would be put into the transfer budget account - it wasnt.

I was again left with £0 budget, and I needed one or two quality players to give me a push towards the play offs and automatic promotion spots. Seeing as how I had been given no money, I asked for a higher wage budget and the board granted me that; using this I made two signings that undoubtedly changed my season:

CB Andre Amougou - Free Transfer
ST Michael Chopra - Free Transfer

These two players were up there with the highest match ratings across the rest of the season, and although Chopra only scored around 7 goals, he got 16 assists in just 21 matches. Amougou had an average rating of over 7.5, and even managed to score 6 goals himself.

From here on I was the team to beat; there was a stage were I had lost just 1 game in 14, although I was drawing too many of those games.

I finished the season in 3rd place with 85 points and stormed the play offs, winning the semi final against Crewe 4-1 on aggregate, and then the final 3-0 against Swindon.

I presumed that moving up to the championship would mean at least some money, but once again I was wrong - I started the season with £0 transfer budget and this was really starting to get on my nerves. I am usually very good at purchasing the right players for a team, so working with very little money was extremely frustrating.

However, I did manage once again to snap up some talent:

ST Joshua King - Free Transfer (finished season with 18 goals)
CM Amine Linganzi - Free Transfer
CM Michael Tonge - £1.2m (upon request my board took over negotiations seeing as how he would be a 'very important player for the team'.

I had good depth to the squad, especially defence and decided to start the season with a risky 4-3-3 formation. This paid off, as after 10 games I was sitting in 10th place and had racked up 18 points.

However, this formation inevitably started to fail, and I was sent down into the relegation zone by the time January came. Another transfer window went by with no money, and this time I didnt manage to sign any players i didnt feel I needed any changes however, because my performances were fine, we were just unlucky.

From here on we started to change and do very well - the front 3 of King, McSheffery and Chopra were provding the goals, and Amougou was once again quality at the back, and he had the 2nd highest average rating in the league. I finished the season strongly on 55 points, however this was only just above the relegation zone.

It was weird, between 6th place and 22nd place there was only 11 points difference, so there was a big relegation fight and a big promotion fight.

I am currently sitting in 18th place after 8 games this season, with just 9 points. I again was given no money (really starting to get on my ****) but my board did again sign me a player - Rodelin Ronny, a french striker who cost just over £1m and should be one of the best in the league.

I am comtemplating moving clubs, but as I set my past experience to Sunday League footballer, I doubt that I will find a decent club...

The next season definitely had its up and downs, but was ultimately a success.

Joshua king had a superb season, scoring 27 goals in 37 games, and also 14 goals from chopra and 11 from rodelin helped towards the course.

I finally found a system that worked, and after being just above relegation in January, it led to me being one of the in form teams for the rest of the season and we also scored the 3rd most out of everyone.

The system is 4 at the back with the two fb set to wb, 3 central midfielders, one attacking midfielder and then two strikers - 4-3-1-2.

Highlights of the season all came in the second half - 6-0 win away at Bristol city, 5-2 win home to Middlesbrough and a 5-1 win away to millwall. Finally we beat league winner Norwich 2-1 away with 4 games to go, even though we were huge underdogs.

We finished the season on fantastic form, taking 33 points out of a possible 39 and this lead to an 11th place finish - the board were extremely pleased!

I was never in a fight for play offs, and was always around 6-10 points, but a very healthy mid table finish was definitely promising and hopefully I can look forward to some money!! Fingers crossed!

I started the new season with no money, again. Its getting extremely fristrating, and someone has even taken over the club and still there is no money... So far I have made 3 signings, all on a free agent and two of them are only promising youngsters...

Wish me Luck!!

Last edited:
Good luck mate, well done on promotion, hopefully if not this season the next season you can even try get promoted!

Well done with your signings and that, especially with the budget you have!

Haha cheers mate - the whole budget thing is so annoying!!

Ill keep editing after every transfer window and I cant really see myself being promoted without any money to be honest!

good job mate, what free agents did you sign in the first season and what was the cb name you sold for 1 million?

Free agents: Inigo Calderon - he was put of contract at Brighton
Elliot Ward - with a bit of playing time he was quality
Arran Lee Barett - Ipswich released him

and the CB was Jean-Marc Benoit but i think he was computer generated....

cheers mate, im doing a coventry save at the moment cant seem to stop goals leaking in. thanks for the info and all the best x

Im having the same problem this season, but I have tried a new formation with which I have lost 1 in six, but have drawn 3 games - it doesnt neccessarily stop you conceding goals, but so far I have scored 13 goals in 5 games...

It is a variation of 4-4-2, but the FB are pushed up to WB and the LM and RM are pushed up to LW and RW - seems to work and I usually have the majority of possesion but still concede a few goals