GoldenIron

Reaction score
I wanted to implement something new
View attachment 82639View attachment 82638

My Idea is to choke out the opponent, not to let them have any room to go to on the pitch and to keep possession until we reach the box, cover the entire field and dominate the play. For the team to go into space when in possession and to stay where they are without possession intercepting any passing lanes.

I just wanted some tips on any discrepancy If an instruction does not work well with another or if there are some adjustments to be made.

I've used a fairly similar ideological approach, but with a more conservative formation (4-1-4-1) but more pressing to reasonable success.

A couple of thoughts....

-they are not contradictory, but short passing and movement can sometimes be.... problematic. movement is good. Absolutely necessary. Especially if you are controlling a match and pressing the opposition into their own with possession. You will face some parked buses, and movement is vital to breaking those down. But that said, with short passing and retain possession, you need to make sure there are always available passing options. You could end up seeing some sequences where your front three are isolated and the rest of the side is playing the ball amongst themselves. You roles should provide some decent movement, so Roam might be overkill.

-you are going to get countered. Two actually defenders and a DM.... There are going to be balls over the top. Fast defenders will help but not always enough. Its going to simply be a risk you have to accept with being fairly attacking.

-your TIs are overlapping a bit. Retain Possession and Short Passing do the same thing to some degree. Add in Work the Ball into the Box and you can end up with a lot of possession, but it can be vanilla possession. Not threatening enough. How does the side play if you drop Retain Possession and Work Ball, just leaving the Shorter passing? TIs are modifiers - they can be useful when required, but too many can be problematic at times. When they overlap, they can take things to an extreme and create problems.

-why get stuck in? You say you want them to stay in shape defensively and intercept passing lanes, but also asking them to go and tackle the ball?

Cheers for the reply, I the actually wanted stay on feet instruction.

So what I'll change is that I'll remove short passing but keep roaming and change the Dm either to a third cb or a half back.

Cheers for the reply, I the actually wanted stay on feet instruction.

So what I'll change is that I'll remove short passing but keep roaming and change the Dm either to a third cb or a half back.

Changing the DM is only going to make so much difference. The reality is that you have 3 players back, no matter where they are placed or what roles they are given. Roaming means the two MCs might not be in central midfield when you lose the ball, and your two wingbacks can only help so much defensively, as they are likely to be high up the pitch at times. So you could end up with 3 or 4 opposition players counter-attacking, running at your 3 players with acres of space. Great defenders with pace and a great DM will help mitigate the problems when they occur, as will a great GK who is proactive. But again, its going to happen at certain points.

I'm not pointing an absolute problem with that. I'm point out a potential problem. Adjusting things isn't necessary if you aren't seeing that occur. You haven't said what, if any, actual issues are occurring. So I'm just trying to be predictive.

So after testing it, 5 draws with minimum highlights and an average of 3 shots on target, Its a bust.

Mind showing your 4141?

Not in front of the game to do screen caps, but I can explain it. Used advice from Cleon and Ozil-to-the-Arsenal to set it up.

Just a standard 4-1-4-1 with a DM.

Team Shape: Very Fluid
Mentality: Counter
TIs: Much Higher Defensive Line, Much more Closing Down, Prevent Short GK Dist, Tighter Marking, Shorter Passing

GK: Goalkeeper
FB: Wingback Attack
FB: Wingback Support
CB: Ball Playing Defender
CB: Ball Playing Defender
DM: Defensive Mid Defend
MC: Deep Lying Playmaker Support
MC: Central Mid Attack
W: Wide Midfielder Support
W: Wide Midfielder Attack
ST: Complete Forward Support

I've used it with multiple teams and found success, whether fairly big (for the division) or a bit lower down. Currently use a 4-2-2-2 Box with a similar approach.

A key is to vary things according to the situation. Never static. I make tweaks match to match, and even within matches. Against bigger opponents, I've scored some unlikely 4-0 and 5-0 wins simply by adjusting the Defensive Line to Much Deeper. I might add Play out of Defense, Pass into Space, or move to mixed passing. All situation looking at the opposition and how they play. I only occasionally move the Mentality up to Control, when I want the side to play with more risk.

Roles and Duties also change, depending on situation and personnel. Wide Mid might become Winger if I have a player who I want to take advantage of their Crossing. I may also go more conservative at times, especially when killing off a match - DM becomes an Anchor Man, wide defenders become Full Backs, etc.

Its certainly not a "use it and succeed" system that guarantees results. Its a general approach that should vary. With a high defensive line, slower defenders can be a liability but I haven't been caught out too often with some slower defenders as long as the have good positioning.