chess_panther

Reaction score
CP's Asymmetric 4-3-3 (WIP - Portugal & Schalke 04)

CP'S ASYMMETRIC 4-3-3

1st Playthrough

Portugal

View attachment 453035View attachment 453034

2nd Playthrough

Schalke 04 & Portugal

View attachment 449727View attachment 449712View attachment 449726

only half way through

This tactic got me the WC title in my very first try with FM2014. I designed this tactic in order to make Portugal more deadly in the final third without losing sight of their defense. I know the scores are not impressive but the feeling of cohesion is extremely good.

This tactic allows full use of the whole field and creating 1-2s in the flanks. Due to the asymmetric positioning the AI seems to struggle in marking my players. But I find versatility to be the key element. The more versatile are your players upfront, the more clear chances they will be able to produce.

As I am still going half way with my 2nd playthrough, I still consider this WIP. If you find similarities with these type of players in your team, then please try it out and let me know how it went. Any feedback is appreciated.

MATCH INSTRUCTIONS

I am trying my best to make these tactics easy to use based on the results I am getting but the right timing is everything. Meaning, your approach throughout the game will have to be more than just sitting back and enjoying the ride. You need to be able to read the game and understand when you need to change to other preset tactics. Sometimes a change within the tactic you're using will be required.

I will guide you through based on what's been working for me:

Attacking Tactic

- Use it against bigger opposition when Home (unless you're a bottom league club).
- Use it against *even/smaller opposition Home & Away.

Counter Tactic

- Use it against bigger opposition when Away.
*- Use it against even opposition when Away if you know that they have fast wingers/dominating midfield.
- Use it against even opposition after scoring 1 goal and you feel they might nail one back. Use it always if that is the case when playing Away.
- Use it against smaller opposition when leading for over 2 goals when Away (if they pose a small threat, that is).

Defensive Tactic

- Use it for late stages of the game if you think that will give you a more comfortable approach on holding the lead. Against bigger opposition it didn't seem to created enough chances offensively. So have that in mind if you think on using this right off the bat.

Tips:

- Add "Lower Tempo" in the Attacking Tactic when you want to kill time against smaller opposition.
- Add "Drop Deeper" if your CBs are somewhat slow.
- Change "Attacking" to "Overload" if you desperately need to score.
- Never change to "Control". It seems to make the team stagnant in the middle.

MATCH PREPARATION

During the pre-season set the first 2 games to Teamwork. Then Tactics Only and finally the last game to Attacking Movement - all Heavy.

During the season follow the simple pattern of "Defensive Movement" when playing against bigger opposition away and "Attacking Movement" for everything else. Don't follow them to the bone though. The occasional "Tactics Only" against smaller opposition at Home or "Defensive Movement" against even opposition Away might do some good.

OPPOSITION INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTIONS

very important - READ!

I always make my *** Manager do it for me. I probably click on his suggestions 5 to 10 times a game and it seems to work nicely.
However, if you're following this path, remember to hit him up when changing a preset tactic. For some reason everytime I do that it clears the opposition instructions. Not sure if an overlooked feature or a game bug.

TEAM TALK

I do a mixture of Wolfsongs and Raikan's approach on the game. Sometimes I do make mistakes but I believe it is more the game's fault than mine (and probably hundreds of others).
Nevertheless both guides should give you a better insight of the psychology behind it.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-training/29092-woifsongs-teamtalk-guide.html

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...amtalk-guide-fm14-how-get-right-reaction.html

If you are still unsure, then find an *** Manager with great motivational skills and assign this task to him.

SET PIECES & TRAINING

It seems that the AI still allows the occasional goal in the near post. Make sure that there is only guy attacking the near post. Preferably one that have good heading and anticipation. The less guys you have close to the near post, the higher are the chances of your player scoring.

There is always one thing that you should do in the pre-season and that is to set the physical training to very high and gradually decrease as the official season approaches. Everything else is up to you. I often use Balance - Average during short breaks between matches and Ball - High/Average or Attacking Movement - High/Average in 4/5 days break. In longer periods I often use the first week for Fitness - High.

Just be aware of your players fitness condition and set the training intensity accordingly.

TYPE OF PLAYERS

LCB - Your fastest, most agile CB.
RCB - Your slowest CB of the duo.
RB - Your typical fullback.
LWB - A wing back that is able to cover the whole flank. No special attention to positioning is required.
DM - Great passing not a requirement. But not a bulky DM type of player either.
MC - Reasonable good passing, tackling (above 10) and if possible long range shots as well.
AP - Any playmaker will do.
RWG - A winger that the very least is able to go to the end of the line and cross.
WTM - Your best winger (preferably one that is versatile enough to cut inside) or inside forward.
DLF - A forward that is able to hold up the ball and have reasonable good passing skills.

------------------------------------------------//

DOWNLOAD

Attacking: View attachment 450810
Counter: View attachment 449680
Defensive: View attachment 450809

Last edited:
Looks good mate. Been a fan of asymetric line up but still couldn't make any success out of it.

Sorry guys, my mistake. The download is now available.

EDIT: My run with Portugal in the Euro wasn't fortunate. Due to a game bug I was only able to take 22 men. On top of that I had 4 midfielders injured (making it 5 total) since the quarter-finals and eventually lost in the semi-final versus a very solid and mature Belgium. Didn't saved at the beginning of the tournament so it's hard to attribute fault to my tactic when I have no MFs available.

Going to start a career mode in a club (and at the same time, a 2nd run with Portugal) and post my results soon.

Last edited:
OP updated with more than just the attacking settings. Have in mind to set the player with the best height/anticipation of the team attacking the near post in Player settings. I find that placing the corners near the post works best.

Currently I am beginning the Bundesliga season with positive results. I have chosen Schalke 04 (without buying new players). I will come back when the season is over as well as after the 2nd try with Portugal for the WC title.

Last edited:
OP updated with meticulous info about how I got so far.

Got rid of the Control tactic for a much more efficient Counter one. I have to say that this new one has never failed on me. They even play more attractive football than with the Attacking tactic.
Nevertheless, it's only good if one follows the instructions in the OP.

hey chess how is your schalke run going ?

Schalke so far is having a comfortable lead in the league. The highlights so far with this tactic were the penalty win against 1860 M?nchen when playing with 6 youth players and absolutely dominating the match against Bayern M despite the slim score. It's going great, 0 defeats so far. Let's see if they're able to keep this up until the end of the season.