Cracking The Great San Marino Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamauser

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a story following my progress of The Great San Marino Challenge. All credit to kandersson for coming up with the challenge, because it will hopefully be a great one! I will refer to San Marino the club as San Marino (Cl) and the San Marino national team as San Marino (NT) Hope you all enjoy my story.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tactics, Pre-seasons and Transfers

My aim in the first season is to gain instant promotion into the Italian Serie C1 divisions. To do this, I needed to bring in some good players to help the cause. With a wage budget of £27k, and the club only spending around £12k currently on wages, I set out to find excellent free transfers for the club. I also freed up some more wage budget by selling of some dead wood.

Transfers

Players In

Enzo Scorza
- ST

View attachment 203480

After seeing Enzo Scorza, there was no way I would pass up the opportunity to sign him. I faced stiff opposition from other clubs, but thankfully he chose to sign for us. The Uruguayan striker has bag of pace, and has the ability to cause defences really problems. Enzo is easily the best player currently at the club.

Mohammed Gulraiz - AML/ST

View attachment 203481

Mohammed Gulriaz is another excellent player who I decided I must have when I saw him. The young frenchman also have great amounts of pace, and great dribbling ability, and hopefully he will be able to link up with Enzo to create a formidable strike force this season. He is another one of our best players this season

Nicolas Rotundo - DM/MC

View attachment 203482

Nicolas Rotundo is another Uruguayan player who has great experience. The veteran midfielder has an exceptional work rate, and puts in tackle after tackle, risking himself for the sake of the team. Nicolas is another excellent player to welcome to the team.

Mathias Cardacio - MC

View attachment 203483

Mathias Cardacio is another player I just had to have. He is an extremely well rounded player, having both excellent attacking and defensive abilities. I have a strong feeling Mathias is going to be at the heart of the team in the centre of midfield, and if he can link up with the strikers well, we could be in for an excellent season.

Gabriele Aldegani - GK

View attachment 203484

When I first came into the club, I felt that the weakest position was in goal. So along with finding some great attacking players, it was of high priority to find a much better goalkeeper. After considering a few players, it was finally Aldegani I decided to fill the goalkeeper gloves.

Csaba Siklosi - AMR/C

View attachment 203485

Another one of my signings came in the form of 37 year old Hungarian winger Siklosi. He may be old, but he certainly has talent. I am hoping he will be good for a couple of season, and im sure he will turn out to be an excellent signing for the club.

Sebastian Masoni - DR/C

View attachment 203476

Sebastian Masoni is another Uruguayan player who I have recruited. The 25 year old right back looks like he will be an impressive signing for the club, and will hopefully turn out to be a solid signing.

Salvatore D'Elia - DL

View attachment 203477

My final signing is 22 year old Italian left backc Savatore D'Elia. The young full back is already good enough to make the first team, and has to potential to be a superb player at the club. we are hoping to help him reach his potential.

Players Out

Alessandro Fogacci - Vigor Lamezia - £10k
Domenico Del Grande - Free
Fabio Di Benedetto - Fondi - £500
Emanuele Chiaretti - Celano - £8k
Andrea Scicchitano - Borgo a Buggiano - £500

Future Players In

Sebastian Flores - DL
Mathias Saavedra - ST

Will comment more of these players when they join

This is the tactic I have decided to use, and shows what I feel is currently my strongest XI. It is a 4-5-1 formation, which is based on maxsidious' "The Golden Gate" tactic, which I have modified to suit my team. It focuses of being responsible defensibly, but has devastating results in attack.​

Pre-Season

View attachment 203486

We had a fairly good pre-season, winning 3 out of 5 of out games. We also put up a good fight against Cesena and Valladolid, but in the end they were just too strong. We are now hoping to take the good performances in our pre-season games into the league and cup fixtures this year!

i'll follow this story and wish you the best of luck on teh challenge :)

Good luck :D When you going to take control of the National team?

Might make my own story when I can guarantee time to dedicate to FM

Good luck :D When you going to take control of the National team?

Might make my own story when I can guarantee time to dedicate to FM

I am already in control of the national team :)

Will post about them briefly for now, but when I start to get better regens and win games ect, I will post more about them.

Ive been following the great San Marino challenge. Its really interesting and im glad someone is creating a full story thread to go along with it. Ill be following. Good luck!

August/September Update

Well, its 2 months into the save now, and the results for both club and country couldnt be any more opposite. With San Marino (Cl) I am currently on an unbeaten run of 10 games, winning 7 and drawing the remaining 3. With San Marino (NT) however, I lost all 3 of the games played so far. I guess that isnt really unexpected though. 0-8 loss against Egypt, 0-4 loss against Holland and 0-7 loss against Sweden. Anyway, enough about the national team, and back to San Marino (Cl)

These are the results we have had so far. The season started off with 3 cup games in the Serie C cup, all of which we won, with the highlight obviously being the 5-0 win against Renate. Gulriaz played fantastically in that game, and managed to grab himself a couple of goals. Our start to the league campaign also started will with a 2-0 win over Casale. A final 4-1 win in the Serie C cup ensured us a place in the next round. We also got our hands on our first piece of silverware, with a 3-0 win over Tre Fiori in the San Marino Challenge. (Im guessing that was a competition that came with the additional San Marino leagues?) Our last 3 games havent been as good, just scraping a 1-0 win and 2 draws, but I am confident we will go back to winning ways pretty soon.

League Table

View attachment 203505

This is how the league table looks at the moment. 5th place, and currently unbeaten. I am pleased with the start we have made, and I am sure we will be able to push on even more in the comming months.

Top Scorers

Mohammed Gulraiz - 7
Enzo Scorza - 3
Davide Poletti - 3
Sebastian Masoni - 2
Mathias Cardacio - 1​

looking good so far, and yeah the san marino challenge is added in with the san marinese league as a traditional curtain raiser as their version of the community shiled is played mid november. when testing i didn't have the italian league loaded so sisn't realise it clashed with the start of the season. unfortunately i can't really place it any better due to the serie c cup group games being in the way.

Ah ok, I thought so. Its not too bad anyway, gave me a chance to give some of my back up/youth players to play :)

it was mainly meant as a reward for the league champions and to help anyone managing a side from the league to guage progress against the already estblished italian league team.

always good to see people taking the SM challenge, good luck!

I was planning to start a blog of my career but they closed that section, so maybe I'll start a story thread of my own if people don't get bored with too many SM stories :)

October/November update

Its been a much more mix 2 months this time, with some excellent wins, and some really poor performances for San Marino (Cl). The biggest concern though was a serious injury to Mohammed Gulriaz. Our top scorer broke his foot, and could be out for up to 6 months. Siklosi has also have various injury problems, so I had to look at bringing in another winger to help cover the injury situation.

Results

View attachment 203697

We started of slowly to these two months, with a draw, a defeat in the Serie C cup, and after a 3-0 win, we suffered another loss. We then went on a small winning run, with the highlight obviously being the 6-1 thrashing of Poggibonsi, where Scorza bagged himself a hattrick. We finished the months with 2 good wins, a bore 0-0 draw, and a poor loss to last placed Sambonifacese.

League Table

View attachment 203698

We are currently sitting in 4th place at the moment, 2 places of where I am hoping to finish. I am very pleased that we have only conceded 11 goals, the least goals conceded by any team so far.

Transfers

Players In

Mattia Graffiedi
- AMR/L,ST

View attachment 203701

I decided to bring Mattia in due to the long term injury to Gulriaz, and Siklosi reoccurring injury problems. The Italian winger has good technical ability, and will provide good competition for both injured wingers when they return to full fitness.

Top Scorers

Enzo Scorza - 10
Mohammed Gulriaz - 7
Gianluca Lapadula - 5
Mattia Graffiedi - 5
Sabastian Masoni - 3​

Last edited:
Good Luck mate! I started one of these yesterday getting really into it, a fantastic challenge! ill certainly be checking in as im playing very simular tactics to you of my own!

San Marino (NT) Update

After seeing sammyt's story for this challenge, I thought his idea to become the manager of both the San Marino U21 and U19 was very good, so I decided to steal if from him. This will then give me the chance to see what the younger players are like, help develop them, and make sure the right players get the chance they need. Now I will introduce you to the two new managers.

San Marino

Manager - Luigi De Mario

View attachment 203811

Key Players

Aldo Junior Simoncini

View attachment 203812

Simoncini is currently the best goalkeeper for San Marino. The 25 year old has good reflexes, and has fairly good aerial ability and handling. Simoncini currently plays for Cesena, but he is stuggling to break into the first team, and is currently playing for the reserves.

Alessando Della Valle

View attachment 203813

Della Valle is one of the better defenders in the national team at the moment. He has the ability to play both centre and out wide on the left. He is currently in England, playing football for Morecambe. He too is currently struggling to get in the first team, and is also in the reserve team at Morecambe.

Maicol Berretti

View attachment 203814

Maicol Berretti is a solid midfielder for the national team. He works very hard for the national team, and puts his all into every performance. He is currently captain of Italian side Formigine. He has played 28 games for them this season, helping the team with 2 assists, and has a nice average rating of 6.93.

Andy Selva

View attachment 203818

Andy Selva is currently the best player in the whole of San Marino. He holds the record for most every goals scored for San Marino (8). He is also the 3 highest capped player for the national team also. He is currently a free agent, but I would like to see him join a club to help his training and fitness.

San Marino U21

Manager
- Mirco Gennari

View attachment 203809

Micro Gennari is a retired Sammarinese player who played his international career between 1992-2003. Gennari is currently the 4th highest capped player, with 48 caps. He sits behind Andy Selva, Simone Bacciocchi and Damiano Vannucci.

Key Players

Elia Benedettini

View attachment 203820

Alex Della Valle

View attachment 203819

Marco Muraccini

View attachment 203821

Nicola Rondelli

View attachment 203822

San Marino U19

Manager - Nicola Bacciocchi

View attachment 203810

Nicola Bacciocchi is another former Sammarinese who played his football for the national team between 1991-2000. He is the 2nd joint to scorer of all time, with 1 goal. (sorry, but I had to laugh!)

Key Players

Mirko Ottaviani

View attachment 203823

Juri Biordi

View attachment 203824

Michele Cassadei

View attachment 203825

Nicola Giorgini

View attachment 203826

I will provide more information on the U21 and U19 in the next update, as I have only just started managing them.

End Of First Season Update

I was planning to do updates every 2 months, but I got a bit carried away and played a whole season without updating. So now its the end of the first season, and I will say it has been a very successful one. My aim was to gain promotion from the league, and we not only managed to do that, but we also won the league! It was extremely tight, and we won it in the end of the last day on goal difference!

As you can see, we had an extremely strong end to the season. I decided to chance the tactics slightly, and you can see the results it had. Particularly pleasing was our last league game, a 9-0 spanking against Borgo a Buggiano. Enzo Scorza played fantastically in the game, and scored 5 goals! These along with 29 other goals meant that the Uruguayan won top scorer of the year. Below is a SS of all the goals that our team scored this year.

View attachment 204284

Awards

View attachment 204281View attachment 204282View attachment 204283

Manager of the year - Luigi De Mario
Player of the year - Enzo Scorza
Top Goalscorer - Enzo Scorza

Youth Intake

View attachment 204286

Unfortunately, I had a fairly poor youth intake this year, in terms of Sammarinese players. I did get one good player though, Gabriele Calzolari. According to my coaches, he has the ability to be much better than Scorza! Hopefully with the right training, he will be an amazing player for the San Marino NT. My only worry is that he is also eligible for Italy, and he also rejected a U19 call up. He did accept a call up from me to the main San Marino NT, but because of his age he was ineligible to play. I will be working closely with him, and hoping he reaches his potential.

Next Season Objectives

So, a new season, a new league. My objectives are exactly the same as last season, to win promotion from the Serie C1/A league to the Serie B league. I believe this wont required to many more player, as my current squad is fairly strong for the league. I am also aiming for a better cup run this season to help with finances.​

Status
Not open for further replies.