Crash Dumps Prevention and Solutions

TheHig

Reaction score
I'm sure there are other people out there who have had there game destroyed by Crash Dumps errors, sometimes ******** your save, sometimes even preventing you from starting new games forcing you to re-install only to come across the same problem later down the line.

So here is my 2 part guide to Crash Dumps, part 1 is how to set your game up to minimize the chances of your game ever getting this error, and part 2 is what to do to recover your save (If possible) and get your game back to a working state if you had this error already. Part 1 pretty much lists all issues that cause Crash Dumps and to set your self up to prevent it from happening.

Crash Dumps Prevention

There are certain things that increase your chances of getting an error, here is a list

1) FMRTE - Just dont go there, it screws your data base up beyond repair, you will not be able to get your corrupt save back if you have used this editor. Sometimes its been to known to cause damage to your windows registry too, unless SI make an official in game editor, using third party programs like this is all to risky stay away.

2) Size of Game - Even though I believe I have found the solutions to 99% of crash dump issues, it does not change the fact the game is not without major issues, the games coding causing endless memory leaks that lead to Crash Dumps errors.
So what I'm saying is try to go easy on your database size, either slow or at most medium size data base when starting a new game.
Also dont go crazy with the amount of leagues you select to be playable, if you have a good system 10 leagues at max.
If you must have lots of leagues and large data base I recommend you have at least 6GB of DDR2 or DDR3 ram, if you have an older system DDR ram will not cut it for crazy data base sizes.

3)Everything Up to Date ? - Make sure the following are up to date
+ Graphics Card Driver (Use manfactures site, sometimes windows will not find the most up to date driver)
+ Java - Make sure you have the latest Version
+Direct X - Latest Version your system is compatible with

4) General Settings in Game These are optional but I recommend you use these settings to prevent errors.
Uncheck the following boxes
+Use Skin Cache
+ Enable Data Collection (This is an important one, it will stop FM constantly building up the RAM useage and prevent Crash Dumps)
+ Play in Windowed Mode, Minimize, and Maximize Every Hour.
+ Disable sounds, and 3D cameras, the 3D sucks anyway text all the way.
+Play with Autosave weekly, 3 file rolling save for back ups, better safe than sorry.
+ Uncheck Threading, if you have a Dual Core processor, you do not need this to be checked, it takes away a complication. However if you have one processor with Threading technology keep it ticked, other wise the game performance will be poor.

5) Your Hardware Before Playing FM 2010 you need to be confident your hardware is all fully working, so you can rule that out if you need to trouble shoot in case you get the Crash Dump.
Consider and do the following before installing the game

+Power Supply - Is it at a high enough Voltage for my Graphics card ?, find out and upgrade power supply if need be, you should not be using a Graphics card if your power supply is under the recommended amount, your system will become very unstable, let alone Football Manager.

+Hard Drive Error Free, run Chkdsk, a windows tool to see if your hard drive has any errors.
To run chekdsk press the windows button and R, then in the run box type in CMD, the in the black command box type in chkdsk and press enter.
You should have a report of no errors, or windows will fix errors

+ Faulty RAM - This was the culprit for me, run a program called MEMTEST86, you need to download and Burn it to CD, restart your PC with the CD in the drive and let it scan.
If you are error free all good, if not note which RAM slot is reporting errors, remove or replace that RAM.http://www.memtest86.com/

+Dust Bunnies - Your system would be unstable in general if you have these, if it is a little unstable check the innards of your PC for obvious dust, blow to free dust from sensitive areas.

If you ever get Blue Screen errors while browsing, gaming, multi tasking, then Football Manager will certainly Crash Dump you ***.

Okay if you follow all these steps prior to installing your game you are very unlikely to get the crash dumps error again.
Now lets move on.

What Do I do If I get Crash Dumps

Your playing your game, you process to next day but BAM, you get the Crash Dump message your game shuts down, your screwed.
You may be able to load your game again doing the following

1) Go to APP Data folder, and delete your CACHE and SETTINGS Folders. (you will need to enable hidden folders to do this) its normally under you user name, then APP data, then Sports Interactive, Football Manager 2010 and there are the folders to delete.

2)Once you have done this restart your PC, start Football Manager, and your game should load.
If it does immediately go to Save as, and save it, then Save as again and make another back up.

Once you have done that read the first section, your error will have been caused by one issues explained above.
If your game crashed while saving you can try to recover, but I'm afraid its likely to be corrupt.
All information I have provided is a combination of Official SI Help, and my own Research. Please post in this thread if you having Crash Dump errors.

this guide isnt just good, its GREAT. im sure it'll solve a lot of queries and hopefully reduce the number of games crashing.

one thing to add though, using FMRTE doesnt really screw up your game, provided that you're just using it to check the CA/PA of players and do nothing else.

on the overall, this is a very detailed guide. im sure it took you a lot of time to type this. cheers ;)

Last edited:
this is only with steam

On my laptop with windows i dont have an apps data folder

what's an XML parsing error

Top notch guide . I have loaded tons of leagues on an average laptop and have only had 1 crash dump since FM09. I always have a backup save anyway so no big deal.

this is only with steam

On my laptop with windows i dont have an apps data folder

what's an XML parsing error

this guide is for the DVD version, there is a separate thread for Steam Crash Dumps Fixes, you have an app folder but its hidden.
Go to control panel then go to Folder options, check show hidden files and folders and apply.
folder-options.jpg

were did your game Crash, were you loading, Saving, Processing, on Tactics screen, when you started your game again were all the setting back at default ?
What message does FM 2010 give you when you try to load your game.

i struggled alot with Crash Dumps in Fm09 and i have not had one since then! (touch wood) great guide though, will definately help alot of people! :D

i commented on someones post eariler stating this (this is what i thought the problem was when i had my problems with Crash Dumps) yes? no?

off topic:
did you find out the problem? i had a feeling as i was playing the same save at work and at home and had different skins/facepacks/logo's etc on each pc and everytime you save it and transfer it it gets saved on the settings of the other pc and hence the next pc will not pick up certain things that are meant to be saved there hence a crash dump occours?

i struggled alot with Crash Dumps in Fm09 and i have not had one since then! (touch wood) great guide though, will definately help alot of people! :D

i commented on someones post eariler stating this (this is what i thought the problem was when i had my problems with Crash Dumps) yes? no?

I do not believe that issue will cause crash dumps, the game will just default settings if settings files are missing,

restart your PC and try again, if that dont work then your save is corrupt, you could try uploading the save to this site and I'll see if I can load it

when you reply to a thread there is a paper clip, click on that and select the save file

it seemed you never had Crash Dumps error it was an XML Parsing issue