Crawley Town- Crawling Up Through The Leagues

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS: Steve Evans quits as Crawley Town manager.

1st July 2011
10:30

News just coming in now from Broadfield stadium. Steve Evans has quit as manager of Crawley Town due to a collapse in the relationship between him and the chairman. There has been no statement from either person as of yet.

13:00

Here we have a statement from Steve Evans himself.

I would like to thank everyone at Crawley Town for everything they have done since my arrival. The fans and the players have made this a very hard decision for me to make. Me and the chairmanVictor Marley sat down for a good couple of hours to try and stop this from happening but we couldn't see eye to eye. I do not know what my future holds for me but i hope who ever takes over my postion can lead this great club further and on to greater things.

15:30

We now have a statement from the chairman Victor Marley.

Today is a sad day for Crawley Town losing a person of Steves calibre is not what we wanted. We both sat down with each other in my office but his demands were far to high to soon for a club having there 1st season in the football league. We would like to thank Steve for everything he has done for this club and wish him best for the future.

We are hoping to have a manager in before the start of pre-season so the new manager can have enough time to train with the players before the start of he new season.

thanks for your time.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Abit about me.

this is my 1st story since my burton one on FM09/10 i would like everyones views on what could be changed or what could be improved I'll take it all on board and do what i can to make things easier or better for your reading.

FANS BACKLASH AS UNKNOWN MANAGER TAKES CHARGE OF CRAWLEY TOWN

5th July 2011

Today Crawley Town have annouced the appointment of Darren Colgrave unknown to the higher leagues of football management.

A statement from Victor Marley reads.

I am pleased to annouce the appointment of Darren Colgrave here at Crawley Town. Out of all the applicants we were pleased by his ambitions and where he wants to lead this club and achive whilst he is here at this club. We at Crawley Town know that he is unknown and we have agreed for him to make a name for himself at our club. I'm asking the fans of this club not to judge him in his 1st few games but give him time to adapt to how he runs the club and give him all the support he needs to make this club a success.

6th July 2011: Darren Colgrave's 1st press confrence

The football league paper: Today you sit here as the manager of Crawley Town. Is this your dream job?

Darren: I'm pleased the chairman has trusted me with this job considering it's my 1st job in management.

The football league paper: What can we expect to see from you in the transfer market?

Darren: I don't really have a preference. I just take each deal as it comes.

BBC Sussex: What tactical approach could we expect to see from you amd your team?

Darren: I Won't be discussing that today. I don't want to let slip to the other managers in the league.

The football league paper: Is there anything you would like to say to the fans, or anything you would like to add?

Darren: Yes, I would like to say to the fans, Please get behind me and the team and with your support we can go onto greater things. I also have to say i'd like to be seen as the new special one and I've always admired Jose Mourinho and that someday i will come up against him.

Thanks for your time

View attachment 225153
pre season unbeaten, was suprised with the results against Chesterfield and Preston considering they are in the division above me.
Hopefully i can maintain it going into the start of the season

Well done on your pre-season mate, a little more in depth as you go along though more like how you started but a good start all the same!

Carling cup preliminary round

AFC Wimbledon V Crawley Town

View attachment 225188

Great match mainly dominated by me. Shame the only goal of the game came from Jamil Adam, should have scored more considering i had 12 shots but only 4 on target. Think I know what to concentrate on in training in between now and the next match.

Npower League 2

Port Vale V Crawley Town

View attachment 225189

Not suprised I lost this one. It was well dominated by Port Vale, despite them have 2 players sent off it didn't leave me enough time to try and dominate the rest of the match to push for a win. Goal Scorer; Jamil Adam

Last edited:
im doing a crawley town save so will follow to compare it to mines:p

well in second season top of league 1 so far so good mate and can you put a screenshot of your transfers up

Carling cup 1st round

Crawley Town V Portsmouth
View attachment 225302

Really pleased with the teams effots today. managed to get Portsmouth to ET.But they had to wait till the end of the 1st half of extra time to score the goal from close range. But i do feel I had control of that game just need to concentrate ready for the next game.

Npower League 2

Crawley Town V Macclesfield

View attachment 225232

Closey fought game, glad to get my 1st league win which was at home which makes it better. Procter got his 1st goal for us on his debut but was injured 22 minutes later. let's hope the team will keep this form up.

Last edited:
Npower League 2

Crawley Town V Southend

View attachment 225239
Another home victory for us. dominated the game even after going down to 10 men we got another goal to secure the 3 points. At times it almost seemed as if southend didn't show up in parts of the game.

Npower League 2

Torquay V Crawley Town

View attachment 225240
1st loss in 3 games, not to disappointed as we managed to pull 1 back and held them off until the last 5minutes of the game in which they went and scored to grab all 3 points. Just need to put this defeat behind and make sure we grab all 3 next game

Npower League 2

Cheltenham V Crawley Town

View attachment 225303
Very disappointed with my team. we dominated most of the match and we just couldn't find the back of the net. Handed out a few poor performance fines to let them know I'm disappointed with there performance in this match.

End of August round up

View attachment 225304
Looking at the league table I Feel we should be slightly then we already are. There were a few matches i feel we should have won. There will be some changes coming in the team so I can find the right team to bring us success to this club.

Monthly board meeting.

E-mail from Victor Marley reads:

Dear Darren,

In this E-mail i will be discussing how I feel you have done in your 1st full month in charge of the club:

Overall we are satisfied with your management of the team, You seem to be winning the fans over slowly with signings such as Jamil Adam, Who they see to be a very good signing who could help push for your goals of success at the club.

Altough there are some disappointing things that have happened.

The fans are slightly disappointed with 2 results that you have had. 1 of them being your 2-1 to Torquay they feel the players in that match did not play at there best in a match they beleived we should have won.

The other match is the defeat to Portsmouth. But I think that one is because we went out of the cup, Myself I am disappointed at going out of the cup but i can understand as it was a team from the championship.

All we need to do now is to improve on our league postion.

Kind Regards,
Victor Marley
Crawley Town Chairman

E-mail from Darren:

Dear Victor,

I would just like to start of by thanking you for all your support whilst I've been in charge of the club.

I'm glad I am slowly winning the fans over. I am to disappointed with some of the results and i feel i have done the right thing to make sure this does not happen again.

I am to disappointed at going out of the cup but as you have said it was a championship team.

I'm also looking to improve on the league postion. Until next month i hope I do you and the fans proud in the upcoming month.

Kind Regards
Darren Colgrave
Crawley Town Manager

Last edited:
Npower League 2

Crawley Town V Bristol Rovers
View attachment 225326
Not the exact start to the month i had in mind, had enough chances to shoot and score. Maybe i need to call a team meeting to get the players into the right frame of mind.

Npower League 2

Morecambe V Crawley Town

View attachment 225327
This result did suprise me considering they were red hot favourites, That meeting i held must of got them thinking about what they really want. It was 2-1 to them at half time and I told them i expect better and they seemed to have dominated the 2nd half that's when they pulled it back to 2-2 and they pushed hard to get a third which we were unlucky not to do. Now to win the next game.

Breaking News: Former Premiership Player Seen at Crawley Town

10:00

Today Former Southampton and Blackburn Rovers Player James Beattie was spotted at Broadfield Stadium. Rumours are he is here to have a medical. Surely not? This would be a massive coup for Crawley Town.

13:00

Statement From Crawley Town:

We are pleased to announce the signing of James Beattie. We would like to welcome James to our club and wish him the best and hope he can help us strive towards our goals and bring some silverware to this club. Please join us at 16:30 for a press conference.

James Beattie Unveiling

16:30

Victor Marley: Thank you all for coming to this press conference to unveil James Beattie as a Crawley Town Player. I will now pass you over to Darren and James to answer your questions.

The Football League Paper: Darren, What made you decide to bring James to Crawley Town?

Darren: Being a long life Southampton fan I've always admired James for what he did for the club and I've always loved the way he played for us. I brought him here to do the same thing for Crawley Town.

BBC Sussex: James what decided to bring you to Crawley Town? Considering you used to be in the Premiership it's abit of a drop wouldn't you say?

James: Well the manager and the chairman really sold the club to me they told me there ambitions and where they want this club to be. Yes i used to be in the premiership but I just couldn't see myself breaking into any of those teams now. At Crawley I know i could give my 100% and know that the fans and manager would be greatful for what i give. Also knowing that Darren Is a admirer of mine since his childhood I felt I had to repay for keeping his faith in me.

Victor Marley: Is there anymore questions? If not then me, James and Darren Would like to thank you for coming and good bye

Npower League 2

Crawley Town V Swindon

View attachment 225331

We were unlucky with this game we pushed them to there limits. We were really unlucky not to get the draw we were after. The lads gave it a good go.

Npower League 2

Crawley Town V Bradford

View attachment 225332
Glad to finally get a win even if the goal was an O.G. Every goal Counts as far as i see it just hope this is the start of a nice unbeaten streak.

Npower League 2

Aldershot V Crawley Town

View attachment 225336
Was not happy with this performance hardly saw any of that ball and what we did see of it we done nothing with it. Once again the ears of the players are ringing. all Players have been told improvement needed or there will be changes.

End Of September

E-Mail from Darren Colgrave

Dear Mr Marley

I'm so sorry that the teams performance haven't really worked out this month, But I am working on some new tactics which I am going to work on in training and have told the players that performances need to improve or heads will roll/ Lose place in the team. Hope you will give me more time to try and turn the teams fortunes around and show you I am still the man for the job.

Kind Regards
Darren Colgrave
Crawley Town Manager

E-Mail From Victor Marley

Dear Mr Colgrave

I must say I am disappointed with the way things have gone in the past month. I will back you with what ever you must do to turn things around and you still have my backing for now. Yes I still think your the man for the job. Things really need to change for me to to believe what you said to me in your interview is true.

Kind Regards
Victor Marley
Crawley Town Chairman

View attachment 225335