Crawley Town FC - The Real Red Devils!

Ravo

Reaction score
2aeo7c3.png

A new era for the Red Devils!

Crawley Town F.C.

Founded: 1896
Stadium: Broadfield Stadium (Checkatrade.com Stadium)
Capacity: 6,134
Nickname: The Red Devils

First Team Honours:

Southern League Merit Cup: 1971
Sussex Senior Cup:
1990, 1991, 2003, 2005
William Hill Senior Cup: 1993
Southern League Cup: 2003, 2004
Southern League Championship Trophy: 2004, 2005
Southern League: 2004 (Promotion to Conference National)
Conference National: 2011 (Promotion to League 2)
Football League Two: 3rd place (Promotion to League 1)

So, Crawley Town. A club that only really made noise for a short period of time, after gaining back-to-back promotions from the Conference National up to the dizzy heights of League 1 where they'd tend a 3 year stay before getting relegated back down to League 2. Most football fans would have to pull out there phones for a quick Google search if you mention Crawley Town. But not those from the small town in West Sussex, as we'll all be quick to remind that we once took 9,000 away to Old Trafford for an FA Cup 5th round tie with Manchester United, in which we only lost 1-0 mind you, clutching our chests as Richard Brodie struck the crossbar!

A quick, frustrating downfall

Crawley have struggled in recent years, falling from League 1 after just 3 seasons to then go on and finish 20th in League 2. Going from manager to manager trying to find that next Steve Evans. Not just that, but the club went on to sell a majority of the stars that took the club to where it was, new owners left and right left the club unstable, meaning many players merely took the club as a stepping stone to move on to pastures new after proving themselves in what has been a poor Crawley team for the last 3-4 seasons.

The new era begins

Well, this is where it changes for the small club in the South. A new season is looming, and with a vacant managerial position in place the Crawley fans await eagerly to hear who the club have appointed to take them to that next level...

To be continued...

Last edited:
Who..?

9amlh0.jpg

Crawley Town have made the brash decision to appoint a completely unknown manager in Mr. Fussell. A man who's only experience is coaching at non-league level for local rivals Three Bridges. It has come at a surprise to most Crawley fans that the club have decided to make this hire. Some sceptical, there is a select few who have high hopes in the Crawley native, believing he can bring fresh ideas in terms of football to the club.

Day 1 on the job!

Before I even go and have my first press conference I know there is some important manners to attend too. Staff. We're short 2 coaches and have an assistant manager who is criminally getting away with coaching at this level. So my first order of business was to sack Matt Gray and bring in a new assistant manager, 2 new coaches and a chief scout.

I went on and signed Charlie Palmer, Peter Wilding, Graham Brown, Mark Ellis and John Trewick.

As well as this, I went on and mutually terminated the contract of Goalkeeper Coach/Player Glen Morris. He was simply eating up too much of the wage bill whilst being a below average keeper and coach for this level.​

​Preparations are done... sort of.

Pre-Season is behind us and with a decent set of results the boys look raring to go. Apart from a majority of them apparently struggling to adapt to a 4-4-2 and having no real False Nine up top, but, I'm sure we'll live, I have faith.

Following from that, here is the tactic I have set out for the season. I'm planning on tweaking and adjusting accordingly, obviously... I say as my two strikers are playing False Nine when they clearly don't even know what a False Nine is. Again, faith!

View attachment 101766

And the friendlies look like this:
View attachment 101765

I plan on bringing in a few more names before the deadline, but I was given a very shot budget to work with and no one wants to sign the lads I wanna' sell, nightmare. However, here are my current dealings!

View attachment 101764

Expectations?

With the current squad I'm probably looking at lower mid-table. If my strikers can quickly adapt to the way I need them to play, I don't think 12th+ is a massive ask.

Last edited:
Dream Start!

Crawley could not have gotten of to a much better start to there season. With some impressive league wins, a 4-0 win away to Charlton and, this...

10r31hj.jpg

That's right, a 2-1 victory away from home in the EFL Cup against The Magpies! A special strike from on-loan striker Dominic Telford sent me into shock when he smashed home a rocket from 30 yards in the opening 5 minutes. Admittedly, we were completely dominated from start to finish, but the football gods have sent us through to next round when we welcome Newcastle's fierce rivals Sunderland to Broadfield Stadium. Can we go all the way?

August Results

View attachment 101756

As mentioned, some decent results in there, with the inclusion of our giant killing result against Newcastle. No one gave the Red Devils a chance this season, but are they the League 2 dark horses, and can Mr. Fussell take them all the way!?

Managers Player of the Month

View attachment 101758

The on-loan striker has been tearing it up so far in his Crawley Town career. Netting 5 goals in 7 games, an assist to boot and an average rating of 7.82, Telford looks to be a quality piece of transfer business. On top of this, he's become accomplished playing in the False Position, so that's one down.

New Signings?

Not much to give you in the transfer department, no one has left and only one new player has been brought in. He goes by the name of Mitch Hancox. A talented Left-Back arriving from Macclesfield Town for a fee somewhere around the 100k mark. He previously had a loan spell at the Crawley Town, so looking at my options he seemed best fit to slot into the previously weak position of Left-Back.
View attachment 101757

Last edited:
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, my first time attempting this! :D