Creating a competition that does not exist in the game

Nick Kotsonis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to create a custom competition in FM 17 but I don't know how to do that in the editor...

The competition I would like to create is similar to the UEFA Champions League but I want to include clubs for example only from Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark)...

I would appreciate it a lot if anyone could answer me shortly and include steps in his answer as it will be easier for me to understand what to do and how to do it...

I've done something similar in the past for a British Isles cup competition, so it can be done.

If you want to give more information about how the cup would work, I can start you off on the project.

I would like it to begin as a group stage with 16 teams 4 from each country and then proceed to the knockout stages up until the final but I don't know how to chain them...

Also I would like the competition to run every 2 or 3 years and possibly alter the leagues a little bit so the top 4 teams from each country can qualify when the competition is due to happen...

I tried yesterday to do it on my own with more teams from an other region, I found some stuff but I didn't know what I was doing, I messed it up and I couldn't test the competition I created in the editor so I decided to test it in-game but it crashed before even I could select a team to manage...

See what you think of this. I've no experience with any of the leagues in question so had to just assume a lot of it.

Competition rules from July-Oct (The only 4 months all 4 leagues are active)
Match dates fit around Molde's schedule, dunno how they work for the other nations.
Make sure you load Sweden as I've added it to their nation rules.

Anything else you come across let me know.

View attachment 101294

Thanks a lot mate... :) Will this work with the claasen files or should I deactivate them?

The teams will still compete in the original Champions League or you made them eligible only for the Scandinavian Cup?

In addition, I was thinking to create 3 other competitions similar to the one you created but I don't want to bother anyone cause you know people are not always helpful like you...

Is there a chance to tell me some steps in order to do something on my own? Cause I don't want to bother you and be a burden...

Last edited:
Yep, the cup is attached to the Swedish rules so doesn't affect any European competitions.

I could give you a list of steps but it'd be a long one. For starters I'd say open that file up in the editor and have a look at what I did then see if you can replicate it. That's how I started learning.

Then if there's something that doesn't make sense, post a screenshot of it and I'll do my best to explain it.

As for the question about running it with the claasen files...pass. Again, test it out and see what happens.

So, I tried to start a new game with the Swedish League checked and it crashed the game right away...

I opened the file to create the competitions I wanted and I did the same stuff you did but the game crashed again...

I don't know what's wrong... :S Any thoughts?

It ran for me with no issues. I made it using the 17.3.0 Update so check that database is selected when you start the game and maybe unload any other files you have.

I've done something similar in the past for a British Isles cup competition, so it can be done.

If you want to give more information about how the cup would work, I can start you off on the project.

Hi Lami I was googling to find out how to set up a cup competition in FM for this exact reason, to create a UK cup replacing the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish League Cups, and this thread came up. I am writing an alternate history in which there is a UK football team and there is a UK wide cup competition. I wanted to use FM to simulate the competition. Would you be able to give me the winners for the years you have available (up to the current season) so I can put them in my timeline? That would be very much appreciated! Here is the page:
UKFA Cup (UKatWC) | Alternative History | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Feel free to edit the article if you wish and put in the results you got. What edition of FM did you use, if it was 2010 for example we could start the cup from that year.

Last edited:
Sorry I just realised this is for FM17, I only have 7 and 10 (bought secondhand cuz I'm broke!) Is it possible to do this in either of those versions?

Sorry I just realised this is for FM17, I only have 7 and 10 (bought secondhand cuz I'm broke!) Is it possible to do this in either of those versions?

You can yes, prob already done. might take a bit of a major google to find, or try the 7 & 10 forums for active users they may have one.

Hey wkdsoul,
I've been trying to edit the Welsh League Cup so that Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham can enter u18 teams is this possible to do on your edit as I also want to use your Battle of Britain cup.

Hey wkdsoul,
I've been trying to edit the Welsh League Cup so that Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham can enter u18 teams is this possible to do on your edit as I also want to use your Battle of Britain cup.

Should be, not really sure how to myself. Have a look for an extended UK file and the setup for the EFL Cup?