Creating a DM that drops into defence when defending

germainelol

Reaction score
I'm trying to perfect a tactic of mine, I'm getting a lot of goals but I leak some goals on the counter attack due to my high defensive line and attacking mentality when playing. I'm basically trying to recreate a Busquets type role.

You can see from my screenshot the position the DM is taking. When attacking, the DM is just in front of the CBs, but the WBs fly forward when I am in possession to provide the necessary numbers and width in attack. The problem comes when I am dispossessed of the ball, my DM is too far forward to help out effectively with the counter attack, and the WBs take too long to get back.

When in possession I want the DM to drop back back, and CBs maybe should push up, but in possession I want to create a back 3 which spreads out to deal with the counter attack while the WBs are recovering.

I've tried creating a really defensive DM (like in the screenshot below) and I've tried creating a Libero or a really attacking CB and I just can't seem to get it right.

Any ideas anyone?

View attachment 467326

Cant help much with the dm solution but a few ideas that could help you improve the defense:
1. Try the nike defense setup, with an attacking fullback, a stopper and a cover. Stopper tries to stop the counter, cover tries to deal with it.
2. Offside tap high line - works incredibly well in my tactic - just make sure tour cbs have pace and are with the same roles and duties. Also put your fbs on quickness training.
what didnt work on the attacking cb?

Last edited:
Try putting your DMC on DMCR or DMCL position with regards to where your more attacking mentality WB or Fullback. They will cover the position of the FBs or WBs whenever they are out of position. Just like busquets covering for Alba whenever he's moving forward.

That's what i do in my Man U tactics, Carrick covering for Evra.

It wont well as it should do in FM13 because the logic isnt not there in the ME. Given that there is a half back role in FM14, it should be very much possible then.

Try putting your DMC on DMCR or DMCL position with regards to where your more attacking mentality WB or Fullback. They will cover the position of the FBs or WBs whenever they are out of position. Just like busquets covering for Alba whenever he's moving forward.

That's what i do in my Man U tactics, Carrick covering for Evra.

Yeah, well I tried this, but with Alves/Montoya and Alba/Adriano/Grimaldo it's better to take advantage of both of the WBs.

I'll try moving just one of the them to a WB position anyway.

instead of playing a defensive midfielder in the dm/anchor role put a creative midfielder in the libero role with attack setting. This way they defend when your team is being pressured and steps up into a playmaker role when you are on the attack. Sounds a bit crazy but it works a treat. I have a Wolves save and David Davis that is a midfielderplays his best football in the libero role

instead of playing a defensive midfielder in the dm/anchor role put a creative midfielder in the libero role with attack setting. This way they defend when your team is being pressured and steps up into a playmaker role when you are on the attack. Sounds a bit crazy but it works a treat. I have a Wolves save and David Davis that is a midfielderplays his best football in the libero role

Yeah whenever I tried it they played almost too deep when being pressurized I think