mccollio09

Reaction score
Hi members,

So I've got a tactic with only one forward and one inside forward and a winger who creates assists but doesn't score enough. I've decided I need another goal scorer in the team without changing the shape and so brought in Hamsik with Joe McKee as his understudy.

McKee has so far only got goals from penalties and his freekicks with only one outfield goal. Hamsik has done nothing and is averaging 6.83 after 12 games.

Seeing as how they both have good finishing, composure, technique and decent long shots (McKee: 15, 17, 14, 14 in that order) (Hamsik: 16, 18, 18, 13 in that order), I know that they have the stats to do this so I must be setting up their personal instructions wrong.

I had basically envisaged a kind of Lampardesque role for them, taking shots just outside of the box, late runs into the box... I was thinking 15 goals a season from a CM position would be ideal. Not sure how to set this up though, help required!

1) what is your formation?
2) what is your style of play?
3) what is the current role/settings you have for this position?

I would try to play him more like a player being at the end of the move. Why not restrict his t-balls and set them to none or mixed and give him more creative freedom. Also consider NOT letting him try to beat his man dribbling.

These are just the suggestions for HIM, it´s very likely that your teactic is setup so that the 3 playes upfront go straight for goal and that he simply wont getthere in time. Perhaps upload the tactic ?

It would help if you played Rossi as a DLF or TREQ to drop deep to link up with Hamsik (or even a TM (like Carrol etc, high strength, just another - play ball to feet and hold up, allowing him time to make the runs forward)

you can play ball to feet to Rossi as well, playing it out wide allowing the time for Hamsik (run from deep often) to get into the box or just the edge like Lampard!

or leave as is and use these settings for him, you can make him the playmaker and see how that works as well!

View attachment 246881

Cheers for the advice both of you, knew I could count on you, that's given me enough food for thought, I'll see how I get on

For Mckee yes, although I think a big improvement in his stats also helped it along and made a formation change, stuck an amc in and it seemed to free up more space for the deep runner. I shifted Hamsik to inside forward on the left instead and he really is excelling there.

Formation change was definite key, I think without the amc, an attacking centre mid doesn't have anyone to lay off the pass to and give him the freedom to move up the field.

Just won league cup, retained europa league and won the premiership in the third season so the adjustments definitely worked out.