Creating a SOLID midfield with 2 CM's and locking down centre midfield

dave256

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a solid midfield with 2 CM's. Every combination I use with 2 in centre midfield seems to allow too much for the opposition to pass through. I use a DM on support just in front of the defence and a CM on attack in the centre of midfield, which seems to bring me the most consistency, but they just seem to stop tackling and let players run at them after a while. I have tackling on hard and closing down more often for both of them.

I also play with 3 AM's (SS, AP, IF on right) and an AF which will press higher up the pitch....actually, the SS and IF man mark the opp wingers which works really well...this actually leaves my WB's to close down while the opp winger will still have attention around him and also allows my SS and IF to intercept the ball and hit on the break.

I have 1 CD on cover and another CD on defend but with close down more often. I understand that this will allow balls through sometimes but I'm just giving an idea of how I defend as a whole team and this shouldn't affect the way my CM's just all of a sudden stop.

Just wondering what other combinations people use to shut down the midfield?

Also, I use 'drop deeper' defensive line. This is just preference as I feel more comfortable with this rather than a high line. Would also be interested to hear preferences and consistency on peoples approaches to defensive line

dlp defend at anchorman position
ball winning mfer support at cm
ap attack at am position
y
in a 4411 unbalanced formation with a high up if attack on right and winger support on left with instructions to stay wide hold position shoot less

wbl control bpd defend cb defend wbr attack instruction stay wide.

dlp defend at anchorman position
ball winning mfer support at cm
ap attack at am position
y
in a 4411 unbalanced formation with a high up if attack on right and winger support on left with instructions to stay wide hold position shoot less

wbl control bpd defend cb defend wbr attack instruction stay wide.

Yeah, I'm trying the DLP on a support role in front of the defence. Working pretty well at the moment. I want him to be like half way between the half way line and the opp box so he can be available for a pass but will be back far enough to break up counters. I'm playing the other CM (in centre mid position) as a CM on support with get forward ticked. I want him to be at the edge of their box on attacks but not dart forward when we're building up the attack. The AP and AF stay forward and provide an option for a direct pass, so it's looking pretty good right now. DLP seems the way to go for at least 1 of them :)

It's also working great as a 'second ball' around the box too. I'll have the AF, AP, SS or IF in the box and then the DLP and CM outside the box with the WB's flanking them. I have the WB's on support with get forward more, so they don't sprint forward and leave the DC's without an option