Invader

Reaction score
View attachment 209930
I am doing okay, but I cant create CCC to score. I am winning in the league just because I have better players.
Results below are showing that I suck in Europe. 2 combine shots on goal against Porto and Chelsea. So bad.

View attachment 209929

Inside Forwards are solid, AMC is useless, ST is good one game then bad for the next three...

You're winning many games by at least 2 goals, so goals isn't really a problem. Okay, you're losing to the likes of Porto and Chelsea, but how much better are their squads compared to yours? Did you set up the same way against them?

I play the same way against every opponent.
Okay, so what you're saying is that you use a tactic with a quite attacking mentality, aggressive roles and duties against teams better than you, at their home ground?

You're also trying to play passes to feet only and slow the game down a bit, again - at stronger teams' home ground?

Does that make sense? These are better teams who definitely will try and dominate a game at home. They'll be fairly aggressive without the ball too.

Okay, Celtic is not better for sure.
View attachment 209673
So I dominated, more possession, 20 shots and 0 chances. If I played on key highlights they probably wont show any of my chances. IFs are dribling and going solo, even with "shoot less often". I want him to assist to ST or play the wing back on his side. Thats why he is on support duty. Maybe change strategy to Structured? I like Control very much. With Standard mediocore teams will probably dominate me. With Attacking I will concede goal every game.
Biggest problem is the 4 attacking players. I dont know how to setup their roles. Maybe two IF-A, SS and F9?

Okay, Celtic is not better for sure.
View attachment 987396
So I dominated, more possession, 20 shots and 0 chances. If I played on key highlights they probably wont show any of my chances. IFs are dribling and going solo, even with "shoot less often". I want him to assist to ST or play the wing back on his side. Thats why he is on support duty. Maybe change strategy to Structured? I like Control very much. With Standard mediocore teams will probably dominate me. With Attacking I will concede goal every game.
Biggest problem is the 4 attacking players. I dont know how to setup their roles. Maybe two IF-A, SS and F9?
Dominated is a strong word. What I see is 20 shots with less than half on target - poor. No CCCs. 3 half chances only. You struggled to create anything.

Why do you think mediocre teams will dominate you with Standard? Do you know what mentalities are/what they do?

IFs are supposed to dribble and shoot/pass. You're forcing them to pass very short and to feet - are there players available close to them with a straight pass?

Do you watch games? What highlights level?

Oh, and btw, this match had a fairly easy explanation. They scored early and shut up shop. You couldn't break them down because you're very slow, allowing the defence plenty of time to get into position.

Is that an accurate description?

Yes it is. And its happening in every game. I win league games individually. So how I break opponent which play defensive on counter attacks?

Thats what I said. Possession, shots, no chances. IF are shooting so wide inside the box. Striker doesnt get the ball.
I am not forsing IF to pass short. They have activated mixed passing and more risky passes.

Of course I am watcing the games on extended highlights. I ll take some SS in the next game

Yes it is. And its happening in every game. I win league games individually. So how I break opponent which play defensive on counter attacks?

Thats what I said. Possession, shots, no chances. IF are shooting so wide inside the box. Striker doesnt get the ball.
I am not forsing IF to pass short. They have activated mixed passing and more risky passes.

Of course I am watcing the games on extended highlights. I ll take some SS in the next game

I'm not sure you saw this part?

You couldn't break them down because you're very slow, allowing the defence plenty of time to get into position.
You're slowing everything down! Lower tempo, shorter passing etc etc etc. They're taking their time, passing it short and straight to the feet of the next player. It's dead easy to defend against. Have a look at your TIs and how you intend to play.

It's taking a **** of a long time for the ball to get forward and when it does get there, you have 2 IFs who hold the ball up and then lay it off or dribble and 2 central players who have already made their forward runs and are now waiting on top of the deep D-Line.

I doubt that you see any of this on Extended. Just 5 mins on full would. Either speed things up or create better movement by pulling defenders and creating your own space that way. Then a deeper runner can move into that space.

Last edited:
Really why? You dont mean that AI pretty often score from just one chance while you are missing them entire match?

I changed mentality to Standard.

Really why? You dont mean that AI pretty often score from just one chance while you are missing them entire match?
I don't know if you noticed, but that goal was right at the end. So here's a scenario... you tell me if I'm right or wrong.

One of the best teams in the league against the worst team in the league. They're parking all the buses they can find, right from the start. They hardly get a shot in. Somehow it is staying at 1-0. Toward the end of the game, they think "what the ****" and go for a draw/win since they're losing anyway. They score in the 89th min. Back to shutting up shop.

As I've said before, re-think how you want to play. It may of course have been an unlucky game though.

Yeah it was unlucky. But that happens very often, not just to me. Nevermind what do you think of activating Exploit the flanks? I use that option only when I am playing with Wingers, so dont know how its working on IF?

Yeah it was unlucky. But that happens very often, not just to me. Nevermind what do you think of activating Exploit the flanks? I use that option only when I am playing with Wingers, so dont know how its working on IF?

If it's happening often, then look at what you're doing? Look at why you're so open at the end of game:

I changed mentality to Standard.

That's it? You left the wingbacks to still bomb forward? You left only 3 men back against a late onslaught? Simple errors like this is what's costing you wins.

The whole idea behind the 4-2-3-1 is to have 2 steady midfielders in the middle that will allow very attacking fullbacks. You currently have the two attacking fullbacks and only 1 steady midfielder. That B2B will make late runs into the box, leaving the single CM all alone. That's a lot of ground to cover.

What's the idea behind the tactic? If you're coming up against teams who are this defensive often, how are you creating space?

Well I had that CML on CM-D role, but in that case I was so bad in attack and finish the game with less than 10 shots.
Idea is to exploit the wing backs, when IF move into the chanel. I have to have 3 players in the box, and two waiting on the edge of the box.

Well I had that CML on CM-D role, but in that case I was so bad in attack and finish the game with less than 10 shots.
Idea is to exploit the wing backs, when IF move into the chanel. I have to have 3 players in the box, and two waiting on the edge of the box.
That would have been important to point out.

That's 5 players in and around the box with 2 attacking fullbacks. You're over-crowding the last third and especially the box, really. I'm not sure who the 3rd player is (?), but it's just going to lead to bunching up and as I said before, you need to create space there and you're not doing that at all.

You have 2 players bombing into the box. The IFs sit narrow - what are you expecting from them? What are you expecting the wingbacks to do?

ST, both IF and AMC are in the box. Here is screenshot from the game.
View attachment 209451
I dont know why AMC is often in the box, when he doesnt have Move into chanels, just Roam from position.

From IF i expect to wait for the ball from AMC or ST when he doesnt have the ball. When he has it I expect to drible and then assist to ST or pass to Wingback who cross it.

I dont know why AMC is often in the box, when he doesnt have Move into chanels, just Roam from position.
He's in the box, because he has an Attack duty. Move Into Channels will ask them to pull wider, so that's why he stays central. He's doing what you're asking.

If your wingbacks are holding onto the ball too long, before crossing, it's because you've asked them to cross less and rather Work Ball Into Box, so have a look at that.

Okay man, I think I got it now. Dont have any further questions. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!