Crewe Alexandra - Youth Factory & revival ?

DHM1982

Reaction score
I decided I was going to try and bring Crewe back form League 2 obscurity. Get the youth system back up to speed producing good young talent for both Crewe's 1st team and to sell to help build the club reputation, facilities, etc.
I play the game with attribute masking on, no in game editor and version 18.3 & I let all the loan players go.

The Club details:Transfer Budget - £81kWage Budget - 2k (available)Training Facilities - 16Youth Facilities - 10Youth Academy - 11
Season 1 Overview: A quick look at the squad reveals that some changes to the squad or my prefered tactics were going to have to be made. The squad is a young one with some players with good potential.
The keepers are all between 23 & 17 with 2 who could challenge for starting GK position. The Defence is fairy spread out with ages and some good potential for development. We have a lot of young midfielders in the team with just 2 over 27 (28 & 34 respectively) the rest are all 21 and under. Some promising AM prospects again all young (20 and below). We are overloaded in Strikers with similar roles.
There is some interest for a couple of Crewe’s players for both transfer and loan. Moving a Striker or 2 on is one of the 1st orders of business. Despite having good coverage of positions, depth of players good enough for the 1st team isn’t great.
Players out - x13 player out - x9 on loan x4 sold Players In - x9 - x4 on loan x2 DF, x1 MD x1 ST | x3 bought - 2 are youngsters (16 & 17) good candidates for development, x1 DF known by my scout offers experience and good to use as a tutor. x2 free transfers x1 MD goodcover & great tutor, x1 ST my new 1st choice striker and again a good tutor.
January Window -x1 player out (loan)No players in
I let 1 coach & a scout go and brought in a replacement coach & x2 scouts.
The Season:The pre-season was a mixed bag, we lost a game we should of walked to victory in. and lost a game I should of cancelled against far better opposition (4-1 loss)
Carabou Cup - Got past the 1st round with a 2-0 win over Crawley Town, before being knocked out by Coventry City 2-1.
F.A Cup -Crewe surprisingly got to the 3rd round before losing to Aston Villa 3-0.
League -Finished 13th - 17W 11D 18L - 62Pts (around predicted position)
Pivotal Game:According to the game it was a 2-1 win over Swindon Town which ended a 4 game losing streak. I felt it was a 4-0 win over Grimsby Town ending a 9 game streak without a win which was the start of a 6 game winning streak.

Season 2 Overview: The youth in take this season was ok - I was informed of x3 players who deserve a closer look. Only 2 were let go, the rest were added to the youth team.
I requested that the club improve the youth recruitment and facilities -> This was rejected.
Some more rebuilding needed, I was unable to renew the x2 loan signings I made for another year.
Players out - The loan player who went out with an option to buy was bought. x1 player retired after a injury racked season. x3 players were released at the end of their contracts.
In addition x9 players out - x6 on loan, x3 sold (including x1 who I signed on a free last season).
Players In - x11 players in - x4 players on loan, x3 bought & x4 free transfers.
Some of these are fairly big jumps in quality over who left this year.
January Window -x3 players out - x1 on loan x2 soldx2 players in - x1 on a only pay when he reaches 50 games the other was a regular buy.
(following this I signed 5 youth player from other clubs during the March youth intake)

I also let x2 coaches x1 Physio & x1 scout go at the end of their contracts replacing them all.(I requested another coach & scout but again I was denied).
The Season:The pre-season was a bit better only 1 team I was going to struggle against the others were easier or Crewe’s level. We only lost the one game against a Championship team.
Carabou Cup - Got past the 1st round with a 3-1 win over Swindon Town, the 2nd round was a 2-1 win after extra time against Bury before being knocked out by newly promoted Portsmouth 2-1.
F.A Cup -1 game 1 defeat- 9 changes to the team giving a lot of youth players a game 3-1 lose to MK Dons.
League -Finished 10th (on goal difference) - 20W 10D 16L - 70Pts (above expected position [14th]
Pivotal Game:I agreed with the game a 3-0 win over Port Vale was the 2nd of our best spell of the season - 9 games without defeat. Before this game Crewe was on a win one lose one run that lasted 8 games.

I used to be on a LLM (Lower League Manager) Forum and followed there rules when telling this story apart from the ‘must post the 1st 3 seasons with your 1st post.
If people are interested in this let me know and I continue to post - I am going to finish season 4 shortly and will post those if there is interest.

I am managing Crewe as well.
They were in national league so I decided to take over...
I have no opinion toward Crewe Alex but I hate this city... I spent some times there few months ago ...
Happy to have a taste of English football tho.
Even tho I hate it there is a bond among

Back in my save, in 2024 , Crewe is challenging for Championship Champion. ( It was 2020 when I took over)
Perry Ng, James Jones ,Callum Ainley,Ryan Wintle,Malachi Linton and Will Jääskeläinen, these academy graduates , are still my key players. I will keep them even after promoting to Premier League

I would like to see your squad .

Glad to see u beat Port Vale (K)

Last edited:
Into Season 5 - just missed out on automatic promotion and lost in the play-offs.
Most of my Squad are Re-gen/New-gens, some of these I think are randomly created players to fill out some of the leagues (I have nearly all of them loaded up), some are players released from the clubs, and about 6 I spent money on to bring in. Jarno Janssen being the most I've spent on a player also one of my highest paid players.

The squad is 51 players - 18 are out on loan (10 I'm getting a monthly fee for) all 18 are having their wages paid for by the clubs they are at.

Current squad:
Still at Crewe from the start of the game:

Will Jaaskelainen - GK
Will Appleyard - GK
Joe Nicholas - GK
Rio Adebisi - D/WB L
Perry Ng - DRC
Ross Woodcock - DRL/LWB
Connor Heath - MC
Arron Lomas - MC
Regan Griffiths - MC
Ryan White - M RC
James Jones - MC
Joseph Joynes - AM LC/ST

Players brought in (Transfer/Free Agent/ Youth signing & Regens)
Harry Butgoyle - GK
Ryan Howells - GK
Simone Ricchi - GK
Garry Clarke - GK
Adam Thomas - DR
Tony Smith - D / RWB
Nicholas McGee - DRC
Neil Maguire - DRC
Cheyenne Dunkley - DC
Jarno Janssen - DC
Martin Kendricks - DC
Pete Carter - DC
Frederick Haltdal -DC
Emil Dil - DC
Rob McGreevey - SW/DC
Gann Reese - DC/DM
Matko Lesjak - DL
Karl Dawes - D/WB/M/AM L
Petr Shejbal - D/WB/M L
Derek King - DM
Ben Whiteman - DM
Graham Walker - DM/MC
Harvey White - DM/MC
Ethan Baxter - DM/MC/AMC
Jean Mbida - M/AMR
Wim Jardim - M/AMRC
Callum Holt-Scott - MRLC
Jonny Hoban MC/R
Tor Olve Evensen MR/L
Pawel Zuk - MC
Steven Cass - MC
Tom Pett - ML/MRC
Matt Kendrick - M/AML
Charlie Wilson-Browne - AMRC
Kieron Morris - AMRL
Jack Cooke - AML/R
Jason Cole - AMC/ST
Fadi Lakdar - ST
Austin Whittaker - ST
Gary Dixon - ST

u may want to include some pics
Finally ,Crewe is in Premier League in my save.
However, the change of reputation is way too slow.
I can only attract championship- league 1 level players and the effect of Brexit greatly hit me coz it has become impossible to buy foreign players( of coz my targets arent good enough to be international)
I have 21m budget , will do everything to reinforce my defensive setup