Just caught up on this and firstly congrats on great first season! Hopefully 2nd season will see some consolidation before moving up to the next level without a drop back down. Sure you can navigate the pit falls and start getting some of the potential golden generation some minutes here and there

Cheers Neavie, here's hoping!

September 18

View attachment 70908

Decent month, still without a win away from home though. Hoping to rectify that soon.

View attachment 70907
Our first game of the month was a lucky escape as we couldn't really cope with Northampton for much of the match. Could have sneaked it at the end but we're happy enough with the point.

View attachment 70906

The Checkatrade Trophy sees us come up against our senior team's under 23 side. We have a few loanees from Liverpool in the side that demolishes them. Despite bossing possession their u-23's are no match for a weakened Crewe side. Ryan Wintle impresses coming into the side today with 2 goals and an assist and staking a claim for more regular first team football.

View attachment 70905

A change in the lineup as Wintle retains his place on the right wing which pushes Ambrose to the left (a position I've just noticed he's more suited to!). Wintle grabs another assist and Ambrose grabs the opener. McBurnie proved a thorn in our side as he twice equalised. Reilly had gabbed our second. A winner from the unpronounceable Perry Ng from a corner settled the game as he played the role of super sub.

View attachment 70904

We can't make it 3 wins in a row unfortunately. A bit annoyed at this game as this was an away performance that was actually okay but our defence didn't cover themselves in glory and we weren't clinical. Need to pick up some wins away from home.

View attachment 70903

A struggling Southend came to the Alexandra Stadium and it was a superb performance from the lads. Ambrose got one after just 3 minutes and, from that moment on, there was only gonna be one winner. Reilly grabbed 2, one from the spot, Jones scored from a set piece and a late goal from sub Charlie Kirk wrapped it up. A morale boosting win!

View attachment 70902
I changed my tactics for this game, going to a defensive 4-5-1. We just about edged his game and, on another day, could have snatched a win. We'd scored after just 5 minutes with a great breakaway and a good finish from rotation player Tom Lowery. Unfortunately Peterborough scored right at the start of the second half and no-one could add to that. A decent point.

View attachment 70901

Mid-table for the moment but a few good or poor results could see that quickly change. 3 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats so far!

I added a loan signing right at the end of the window, Dion Donohue coming on loan from Portsmouth to add some competition at left back. I've a youngster I, ideally, want to make the position his own and I introduced him at the end of last season but he's not made a great start to League 1 so he'll be phased in. I'm hoping to sign a new central defender on a free transfer to add competition there too.​

October 18

View attachment 70894

An amazing month! We really should have a 100% league record this month. Soundly beaten in the Checkatrade trophy but no-one cares about that! We shoot right up the table and...
View attachment 70893

a manager of the month award.

View attachment 70892

We faced 2nd placed Colchester at the Alexandra Stadium. Colchester were promoted along with us last season and were doing well in League 1 but we bossed the match and got the win thanks to goals from Ambrose and Reilly. A late goal from Colchester made it nervy.

View attachment 70891

Probably our worst league performance of the month but we win away from home for the first time in the season and our new tactics seem to have improved us. Reilly grabbed a goal right after half time after a dressing room tirade from the manager. Only shot on target too!

View attachment 70890

A pretty dismal performance as we rested a few players and gave some backup players a chance. Didn't create much and were soundly beaten. Winger Kirk grabbed a consolation.

View attachment 70889

We were under the cosh for the first half an hour and Pompey could have been a few up. It all changed with Winter's wonder strike into the top corner. We were unable to add to that but were in control from that moment on.

View attachment 70888

Again we play against a newly promoted side in 2nd place and, this time, we manage to completely throw away 2 points. Reilly netted from the spot and Walker scored a good volley to put is in a commanding position. With 12 minutes to go we concede a penalty which Garrat saves! From the resulting corner they score and equalise minutes later. Not a bad result but should have been able to see it out.

View attachment 70887

A win over rivals Shrewsbury sees us bounce back from the disappointment of the previous match. We went down early on but on loan utility player Coyle scored the goal of the month with a terrific volley from way out. Ambrose added two more before we conceded in stoppage time but we never looked like dropping points this week.

View attachment 70886

For the third time in the month we play a team who were also promoted from League 2 last season. 1 down at half time some choice words saw the boys hit back immediately with Lloyd Jones converting from a corner. Ambrose was favoured up front for this once but had a mare, hitting the post twice when clean through. Reilly came on to secure the win with just 3 minutes left.

View attachment 70885

Superb position to be in! 2 of the promoted teams are in the top 4, Colchester and Coventry not far off that either. Hoping we can maintain our form and perhaps have an unlikely battle for promotion. The media say most teams stay up with 50 points and we're well on our way to that.

View attachment 70884

However, the board aren't so confident!

November 18

View attachment 70883

View attachment 70882

Ryan Wintle has really taken advantage of his run in the team since the game against Liverpool u23's. Another goal and assist in this match and he's been our best player this season. He wasn't even really in consideration for a starting spot at the start of the season. Lowery got the other.

View attachment 70881

The first round of the FA Cup gave us an easy tie on paper. Grimsby were relegated from League 2 last season and I shouldn't have had anything to fear. We controlled the match but bad finishing made it more nervy than it should have been. Liverpool's midfielder Liam Coyle coming off the bench to get the only goal of the game. Yeovil away in the next round. Hoping for another pay-day from this competition so I'm really hoping to progress.

View attachment 70880

The final game of the Checkatrade Trophy saw us traveling to League 2 Cheltenham. Again we had a weakened team but the result was still disappointing. We lost on penalties but went through overall in second place.

View attachment 70879

We wuz robbed. Promotion hopefuls Bradford came to the Alexandra Stadium hoping to stay above the surprise package, Crewe. Wintle puts us in the lead in a half we dominate. Bradford equalise just after the break and both sides have chances but we really deserve the win. Our star player of last year, George Cooper, marks his long-awaited return from injury by setting up Ambrose for what we thought was the winner but a spell of very late pressure from Bradford grants them an undeserved equaliser.

View attachment 70878

A poor result against struggling Gillingham, a match in which the defences came out on top.

View attachment 70877

Still doing well, our match in hand is against 5th placed Wigan. Seems like twice a week now I'm linked with a new job but never been offered an interview. Biggest links have been Wolves, Blackburn and Notts Forest but still linked with struggling League 2 sides as well. Currently going for the Continental Pro License too so hope my manager stats go up at the end of the season.​

View attachment 69800
A hectic schedule sees our knackered squad struggle. 4 defeats in 6 in the league though I make it into the next round for two cups.

View attachment 69799

The month starts well at Fleetwood with the home side showing their charitable side by gifting me 2 penalties. James Jones converts both and Reilly gets the other. Fleetwood are now managed by Pedro Caixinha, bizarrely.

View attachment 69798

A visit to promotion hopefuls Wigan sees the start of our poor form. Utterly dominated and 1-0 down, I'd hoped a straight red for a Wigan player would see some form of comeback as we try to use our numerical advantage to get something from the game. They still dominated it and we had left back Woodburn sent off late too.

View attachment 69797

The 2nd round of the FA Cup and we were away to League 2 Yeovil. Once again I'm hoping for a big draw to boost the funds so it's vital we go through. Another poor performance but Lowery rescues a draw with an 89th minute strike. Could really do without the added game however. Thierry Ambrose picks up an injury too which sees him out for a bit.

View attachment 69796

Not that I'm taking the Checkatrade Trophy all that seriously but match against rivals Port Vale, who are struggling in League 2, meant I was expecting a win. I got the victory but it was completely unmerited. Substitute Owen Dale with a fantastic 94th minute winner had the fans jubilant. Still, another poor performance.

View attachment 69795

Despite fighting back twice we were powerless to stop a Notts Forest victory. Player of the season Wintle with another goal and Lowery continuing his decent form but our defence aren't performing particularly well.

View attachment 69794

The FA cup replay and, surprisingly, we played well but it's still a struggle and the match going to penalties is something I could have done without. Wintle puts us ahead but we concede just before half time to a good strike. Despite our numerous chances we can't catch a break in normal time. Then, in extra time, disaster strikes as Browne grans his second for Yeovil. Thankfully, youth midfielder Regan Griffiths can force the game to penalties where we win 4-1

View attachment 69793

A knackered squad travel to relegation-threatened Bury and, despite an even game, fall to a comfortable defeat. Defence poor again. On the bright side, the first of my apparent golden generation makes an appearance due to how tired every **** is. Joe Griffiths should grab an assist for the own goal in his first appearance.

View attachment 69792

More like it! I had a word about possible dropping striker Reilly as he's on a poor run of form and he responds with a goal and a MOTM performance. Wingers Lowery and Kirk grab the others.

View attachment 69791

Any hopes of an upturn in form are swiftly shattered by a clinical Charlton side with Josh ******* Magennis grabbing a hat trick. Charlie Kirk with the only goal of the game or us.

View attachment 69790

We've dropped out of the playoff spots but still only a few points off. Though, a few more bad results and we can drop down the table pretty quickly too. Hoping an easier schedule can see a return to form but, irregardless, we're not far now from the 50 point mark that's apparently the benchmark for survival.

January 19

View attachment 69532

Well and truly back on form!

View attachment 69530

We bounce back from a 4-1 defeat with a 4-1 win! The visitors are stranded at the bottom of the league and, despite going a goal down, it was a much-welcomed, comfortable victory. Lowery, an OG, Reilly and a late free kick from left back Donohue gave us the win.

View attachment 69525

2 big wins in a row and this one is probably the best of the save so far! Sheff Utd were a place below us coming into the game and the bookies had the visitors down as favourites. We had our midfield to thank as goals from Lowery, Ainley, Jones and Wintle help us on the way. Reilly grabbed his obligatory goal at the moment too and they got an injury time consolation. Massive win!

View attachment 69523

Another win against a promotion rival as we edge MK Dons away from home. Youngster Regan Griffiths has emerged as a big talent this season from the youths and his goal, as well as two from the main man Reilly, had us 3-1 up at half time. MK Dons pulled one back but we held out for another valuable 3 points.

View attachment 69521

The FA Cup 3rd round gave us a favourable draw against League 2 opposition. However, we failed to beat Cambridge last season and couldn't manage it here. Despite us probably just about shading it a goal from Reilly wasn't enough as Cambridge equalised with 8 minutes left. Another unwanted replay.

View attachment 69518

Still in the Checkatrade Trophy despite not really caring about it. We dominated League 2 Mansfield but leave it late to get the win, Regan Griffiths netting in the last minute to secure our place in the next round and avoid penalties.

View attachment 69517

A comfortable home win against Northampton as goals from centre back Ollie Cook, Ainley and Owen Dale secure 3 points and keeps us in the playoff spots.

View attachment 69516

Our FA Cup replay seemed to be going very well as goals from Cooper, recently back from injury, Lloyd Jones and Reilly had us 3 up and on easy street. That is until Shaun Wright Phillips tries, single handedly, to get Cambridge into the next round with 2 goals. A late Wintle goal guaranteed our place in the next round where we'll travel to face Swansea who are currently in the relegation spots in the Premiership.

View attachment 69515

Bizarrely, both sides scored with their first shots on target which came in the 55th and 61st minutes respectively. Reilly got his goal but we go down 2-1 in a match with little quality to Oldham.

View attachment 69514

The quarter finals of the Checkatrade Trophy is as far as we go as Sheff Utd enact a little revenge on us for the previous thumping this month as they knock us out on penalties.

View attachment 69513

Still challenging for a promotion spot at the moment. Luton are the big surprise package though as they are in pole position for two promotions in a row.

Still being linked with clubs every other week but no actual approaches. This was the biggest so far

View attachment 69512

Just as the transfer window was closing (I signed no-one) there was a bidding war for one of the supposed golden generation. Cntral midfielder Joe Griffiths, not to be confused with fellow midfielder Regan Griffiths, was the subject of many bids from the likes of Wolves, Leeds, Cardiff etc. Turned down a 600k bid in the end as I was looking for a bid of around a million quid altogether. He's only made one appearance so far but I'm hoping he can make an impact soon!
View attachment 69526
View attachment 69526

February 19​

View attachment 1145133

Not the best of months and, as we keep up the tradition of taking cup games to replays, our squad is knackered. Should clear up now as we only have the league to focus on now.​

View attachment 1145134

A very credible result against Premiership opposition. Clucas twice put Swansea in front but goals from Lowery and Cook earned an unlikely replay.​

View attachment 1145135

A comfortable home victory. The two best players this season, Wintle and Reilly, got the goals but a late Rochdale reply made it a nervy final few minutes. Seems we regularly concede late goals.

View attachment 68337

Southend battered us early on and we were 3 down by the 38th minute. Just as I was getting ready to tear into the players we puled 2 back before half time (Reilly & Lowery) but we couldn't go further than that and took nothing from the game.

View attachment 68336

The big replay! Unfortunately, Swansea's strikers turned up today and we weren't really in with much of a chance of progressing from the moment Perica grabbed their first in the 7th minute. Ainley grabbed a second half consolation. Still, 4th round is decent. Unfortunately we weren't drawn with a bigger club to boost the funds but we made a bit of cash from this tie at least.

View attachment 68335

We dominate Peterborough who were reduced to ten men, Reilly with the first and defender Raynes scoring from a set piece. A welcome, rare, clean sheet too!

View attachment 68334

A disappointing late collapse sees us throw away 2 points! It started well with Cooper getting himself on the scoresheet but we conceded shortly before half time. Then, 2 late strikes by Kieran Hayes gave the home side a perhaps undeserved win.

View attachment 68333

The team were hoping to bounce back to winning ways in what should've been a straight-forward tie at home to Doncaster. Both sides had their chances but Cooper looked to have secured the points in the 83rd minute but, we couldn't hang on and conceded just a few minutes later. Late goals again!

View attachment 68332

Still in the playoff spots so it's still looking promising. I was in 3rd place during the month but recent results saw us drop down. Think it'll be tight for the playoff spots.

View attachment 68331

Brief look into the players doing the business for us this season. Reilly has repaid the faith shown in him and is the 2nd highest scorer in the league so far. Wintle took full advantage of Ambrose and Cooper's injury problems and has been the best player at the club this season.​

March 19

View attachment 68041

Looks like the form is evening out now. Was probably unlikely to challenge for the playoffs in the first season though we're not completely out of it it feels though it's a sticky spell that will cost us.

View attachment 68040

The bookies gave us no chance of getting a result here and, despite conceding in the 9th minute, Reilly's wonderful strike from just outside the box was enough to earn a share of the spoils.

View attachment 68039

We came into this game in the last playoff position against 3rd placed Luton and were badly let down by our defence. Luton scored with every shot on target! Reilly had equalised before Luton raced into a bemusing 4-1 lead though Brad Walker added a touch of respectability o the score with a late goal.

View attachment 68038

A comfortable win against an out of form Shrewsbury. Reilly keeps up is fantastic goalscoring season while Liverpool midfielder Liam Coyle wraps up the win in the second half.

View attachment 68037

Another home game against a team in the playoffs and another 4-2 defeat. this time it was deserved though as our defence has a bit of a mare again. Despite going ahead through Coyle we found ourselves 2-1 down in the second half before substitute striker Owen Dale grabbed an equaliser. As we pushed for a winner we were hit twice in the last 13 minutes to consign us to defeat.

View attachment 68036

Bizarrely our 85th minute goal through Tom Lowery was the first shot on target in this game but we couldn't even hold onto this despite trying to contain the opposition immediately after getting the goal as we manage to chuck away 2 points in the 90th minute. Grim!

View attachment 68035

Survived a takeover (I'd be raging if I didn't tbh!) and got a few hundred thousand added to the balance which was welcome!

View attachment 68034