TheAussieGaffer

Staff member
Reaction score
After spending some time on the FM-Base Discord server and hearing about the Level 10 England database I decided to give it a go.

After seeing them listed in previous versions of FM, I have decided to take on the Managerial role at Metropolitan Police FC so let the journey begin!

SmallMetPolicelogo.png

Metropolitan Police Football Club

I walked out of the Chairman's office feeling a little nervous. This was the first time I'd had an interview at a football club to be the new manager. Much to my surprise, the Chairman had given me the job on the spot.

So here I am, L. Hare, the new manager of Metropolitan Police FC. I recently retired from football because my fiancee said: "You either give up playing or you give up marrying me". In her defense, my knees were failing me and I was living my life with the motto of "Why have abs when you can have kebabs?".

The first item of business, have a look at the squad and see what we can do there because we have a pre-season friendly in just 10 days!

Season 1 - 2019/20
Off-season

My star right-back Daniel Akinwunmi is out of contract and clubs are circling like sharks to get his signature. Better sit down and find out what will make him stay with us and hopefully push for promotion this season from the Southern Premier League.

My first signing is Guillem Balagué as my Director of Football. As a rookie coach, I want my DoF to handle all staffing issues while I look after the players and tactics.

Speaking of tactics, I hope to get the lads to play a counter-attacking style of football with a 4-4-2. I have a strong back four and two very capable strikers with the midfield needing some attention. "Let's go get some midfielders: I say to Balagué.

Previously the Met Police FC was a Met Police staff side only until a Commissioner refused to sanction time off for members to play.

First Signing
It's a mild day, although being Australia, 23 degrees is mild, to the English it's a heatwave when I walk through the doors at Imber Court to sit in for my first press conference. "Are you nervous boss?" asks my first player signing, Rory Hill. The press, all of one journalist, ask the usual questions like "Why did you take the job?", "Are you confident in your playing group?" etc etc. Then comes time to introduce Rory Hill. Signed as a free agent, 29-year-old Rory is a bit of a journeyman having played at multiple clubs including Gillingham, Croydon Athletic, and Maidstone United.

Welcome to FM.jpg

The view as I walk in to work every day

As we approach the first Friendly of the pre-season, my DoF comes into my office and says "I just heard on the radio that we have signed Mata on a free transfer! Surely that's just a local journalist making fun of us being a small club?!". I tell him to sit down as I have some massive news for him......we have signed Mata. It's just a minor deal that it is a 21-year-old striker by the name of Japhet Mata from the Democratic Republic of Congo! And on that bombshell, I walk out of the office and hop on the team bus to head to The Meadows for our first friendly against Saffron Walden.

Met Police FC on the way to the game

Met Police FC on the way to Saffron Walden​

Stay tuned for updates throughout the season as Met Police FC look to become a large English club!

July 2019

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.18.11 pm.png

The preseason was a mixed bag for us at Met Police FC. The squad, which was fairly depleted after last season, needed time to gel with new players coming in. July was a busy month with four friendlies and seven new players joining the squad. The biggest signings were 19-year-old midfield Mus Dauti and 21-year-old goalkeeper Tommy Dyche.

Drama was to follow one of the new signings with Stuart Bridges signing with the club on July 13 and within a week he had been shown the door following poor performances, both on and off the pitch.

newspaper2.jpg

We managed to get three wins from four friendlies including a hard-fought win against BetVictor Isthmian Premier Division side Carshalton Athletic. I thought things were shaping up nicely for the boys in blue and we could actually mount a decent campaign.

newspaper.jpg

With one more friendly to go before kickoff in the BetVictor Premier Division South season, I was feeling confident that I had selected a very decent side and with a few more signings on the radar, the Met Police FC squad would be ready for the long season ahead.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.05.26 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 10.05.26 pm.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 72
August 2019

We welcomed Welling United to Imber Court for our final pre-season friendly where we not only matched the Vanarama National League South side but managed to lead 2-0 before a 5-minute lapse in concentration cost us two goals and an 88th-minute injury meant we finished the 2-2 draw with 10 men on the pitch.

Now the butterflies really started to set in as the start of the season was only three days away and I still didn’t have a full squad. We need players in every area of the pitch and I really don’t want to panic-buy so I call an urgent scouting meeting. “Lads, let’s get out there and find some midfielders and some backup strikers, ”I say as I feel the anxiety rise as we are now only 48 hours away from the season kicking off at home to Hartley Wintney.
Unfortunately, despite putting in some decent offers, we hadn’t managed to bring anyone in before I left home to head to the ground.

Heading into the ground I bump into our prolific striker Jack Mazzone who wishes me luck and says everything is going to work out just fine. We lose 1-0 to a 5th-minute strike despite dominating the game from kickoff and once again we finish the game with 10 as Mata leaves the field injured 89th minute.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 10.59.07 pm.png

August 2019 - Results​

No time to sulk though, back to the drawing board as we have three games in seven days and could build some great momentum but unfortunately we lose next our match against Swindon Supermarine 2-0.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 10.59.50 pm.png

August Transfers​

Zero wins, zero goals. Something has to give and it does in a big way. A few technical tweaks and the addition of midfielders like Kie Douglas, Wilson Chingoka and Cameron Gow. We play six more games in August, winning four, one loss and one draw. For a side expected to finish 15th, we finish the month in 7th position.

Player of the Month – August: Japhet Mata (6 games, 6 goals)