Crowded Isolation. An American in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KidBlink56

I'm back, baby.
Reaction score
7:00 PM PDT, LA Galaxy Training Facility Los Angeles, USA

Ben Smith was too busy shouting instructions to his team to notice his brother stroll into the stadium where his team was training.

Ben had been appointed the manager of LA Galaxy's U20 team just 6 months ago and in that time the status of the Los Angeles club's youth team had skyrocketed.

Galaxy were far and away the most popular team in the United States and for someone without a lot of experience, Ben was more than happy to spend a few years increasing the reputation of it's already nationally renowned youth system.

He had been lucky enough to get his son Aaron a trial with the club, and he had impressed. A natural born striker, Aaron made his father proud every time he took the pitch. So proud in fact, that the boy was due to sign a contract with his favourite club any day now.

And as he surveyed the scene on the pitch on the slightly chilly January evening Ben felt like nothing could bring down his sense of pride and more importantly, contenment.

That is, until he saw his brother.

Ben felt a surge of anger and maybe even a twinge of jealousy as his more succesful anglo-phile brother walked up to him.

Usually when the two got together they fought about everything. The most recent row had been over where their mother should live, in Los Angeles with Ben or in London with Billy. Inside, Ben agreed that she would be better taken care of in London but his brother didn't have to be so **** smug about it.

Ben loaded a stinging remark about his brother and was about to unload on him when he realised that something was different. He was somber. And looked sadder than he had in a long time.

"Mum...." Billy choked out.

He didn't have to finish, Ben got the message. His mother wasn't in the best of health. And it seemed that her time had come.

Ben blew his whistle and brought an end to training. He called Aaron over and told him to go pack his things. They were on the 9:30 flight to New York the next morning and by 2 PM the three of them were on the BA flight to London, for what Ben was sure would be the worst "holiday" of his life.

Last edited:
January 3rd, 2010. 1:41 AM BST. Billy Smith's Flat, London, England.

He had been right. The 4 days he spent in London were the worst of his life. He didn't fight once with his brother, something he was sure his mother wouldn't have believed.

Ben and Aaron were packing up and making final preperations for the next morning's flight. He had finished and told his son that he would finish his for him, and that he could go to bed.

No sooner had his son gone up the stairs of Billy's house than Billy himself came bursting through the front door.

"Ben," he said. "It's Ishan. He says he needs to speak with you."

"I'll ring him up in the morning." Ben replied and went back to packing.

"He says it's urgent."

Unfortunately, this meant Ben had to pay him a visit. A very wealthy family friend, Ishan Saksena had helped Ben through university and had reguarly spent Sunday evenings playing cards and discussing life with his mother. He was probably in some pain and Ben figured he owed him at least a visit.

Billy had a car drop him at Ishan's home just outside of London. "Stuck up *******." Ben thought. When they arrived, Ben walked up the steps and let himself in.

"Benny!" He recognised his mother's pet name for him as he shut the door behind him. He despised it but he wasn't about to let the man that had done so much for him know that.

"Ishan. How are you old friend?" Ben replied.

"I've been better." Saksena said, the pain from losing a close friend evident on his face. "And I told you stop calling me old. I'm not much older than you are." He said with a grin.

"Billy said you needed to see me?"

"Yes. I do. Can I ask you a personal question?"

That seemed a little odd that he would bring him all the way out here for this, "Of course. What is it?"

"Are you happy in LA?"

"I'm sorry?" Ben asked, feeling a little caught off guard.

"I asked, are you happy? Where you are? With Galaxy, in Los Angeles?" Ishan repeated.

Ben wasn't entirely sure how to respond to that question.

"Erm, yes. I suppose. Why do you ask?"

Then Ishan looked him square in the face and said, "There's an opening at QPR, and I want you to fill it."

Ben was reeling. A job at QPR? No, he had a job. But this would be a better one. How long had it been since someone said something?

"Ishan, I'm really thankful for the offer. And I'd love the opportunity to coach in the UK but I have a commitment with The Galaxy. I'm the U20 manager there. The best youth team in the country. I wouldn't leave LA for a coaching job." Ben said unusually quickly, Ishan always made him nervous.

Ishan didn't break his gaze, "I'm not talking about a coaching spot Ben. Warnock can't cut it. According to the media we should be play-off contenders. But instead here it is the first week of January and we're in 18th place. I need someone I can trust. Someone I know has the talent to manage in this league and maybe even in the Premiership. Come manage QPR Benny. We need you."

If Ben thought he was reeling before, he wasn't sure what to call what he felt now. Manager? Of a Championship squad? Every thought that could have possibly run through his head did in those few seconds of silence.

He looked back up at the man who had put him through university the man he had trusted to be a friend to his mother and now the man who was offering him the biggest opportunity of his career.

"I'll do it." Ben said hoping that his voice sounded less shaky than he thought.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 12:45 AM ----------

April 1st, 2010. 9:30 BST. Loftus Road, London. QPR 3 - Sheffield Utd 0

Three sharp burst from the referee let the capacity crowd at Loftus Road know the match was over. Finally, QPR had won a game. a 4 game skid had seen Ben Smith's new club almost lose all of the ground they made up in the time he'd been there. When the former Los Angeles Galaxy U20 manager had arrived at QPR they had been rooted to the foot of the table. 17th place was highest they had reached all season and the fans were quickly growing weary of their heroes under achieving.

However in the two months since he had taken over they had jumped to 8th. And were pushing for a playoff spot week in and week out. But this rough patch, started by a heavy loss at Hull, had been a worrying one. And confirmed fears that although the squad had talent, they were spotty.

Marcus Bent had been the exception. Having gone from 6 goals scored when Ben arrived, to 19 goals at the end of March. He was the best player on the team by a mile and he showed no signs of slowing down. That was until 35 minutes into the next match at Hull.

The FA Cup 4th round had drawn QPR and Hull together for what would be their third match this calendar year. And Ben's second. Hull seemed to be The R's achilles heel. a 3-0 drubbing at Loftus in January followed by a 1-0 loss at Hull in March and now it was already 1-0 at The Cirlce 35 minutes into what would turn out to be QPR's last game in the FA Cup this season.

That's when Marcus Bent pulled up.

"**** this ruddy pitch. Go tend to him would you?" Ben shouted to his physio.

Marcus hobbled back to the bench shaking his head.

"I can't do it boss. I think this one is serious"

He said "This one" because this hadn't been the first scare, but a little massaging and a minute to walk it off and he had been fine. Apparently this wasn't the case this time and it was clear Marcus would need a sub.

Ben walked back to talk with his Assitant Manager Tony Coton, "Bent's too hurt to continue. Who should we replace him with?"

Coton cursed and looked down the bench, "Aaron is on the sub list." He said almost hesitantly. "I say give the boy a chance."

Ben had been nervous about his son's being on the bench this evening. It wasn't that he didn't want him to succeed, but this was the real deal. He wasn't sure he was ready. But, it appeared there wasn't going to be a better chance.

"Aaron!" He yelled. "Get ready to go on!"

The 17 year old scrambled to warm up, visibly nervous about what was to come.

Soon, there was a corner and it was time to make the change.

"Ok listen up. Gardener has been a brick wall tonight. He's not letting anything get past him. But he's slow when they spring the offside trap. Hang tight just in front of him on the left, and Taraabt should set you up nicely." Ben said to his son. He started to run on to the pitch when Ben called him back for one final instruction, "You'll do fine." He said reassuringly to his son. And with that, Aaron got into the game.

It had been three weeks since Aaron Smith's father, Manager of QPR, had put him in the 4th round FA Cup game against Hull. And still, he could remember it clear as day. It was absolutely pouring rain and the pitch was so muddy you could hardly see any grass, let alone lines. The blue and white hoops on his shirt clung to his chest and his hair slicked back on his head. He decided to focus on his play and not on how ridiculous he looked.

The first ten minutes had been nervy. A few U18 games and a reserve fixture was the extent of Aaron's QPR experience, and humiliatingly, his lack of experience showed. 5 minutes from the halftime whistle Taarabt had set him up with an absolute sitter. When the ball got to his feet everything froze. Aaron had never noticed how quite the ground got before a goal. He swung his foot forward and hit the ball hard and placed it low and to the right of the keeper.

Where he meant to put it and where it ended up were two different things entirely. Aaron didn't see where it went, but the keeper's reaction was enough to know that it had gone well over his head. The travelling support showed their appreciation for the move but were clearly disappointed in the finish, or lack thereof.

Things were quiet in the second half. 10 minutes from full time, Fagan scored a second for Hull. Aaron was gutted, but Hull were too busy celebrating to focus on the last 10 minutes. When they kicked off Aaron made a quick move into space, the back four stepped up to catch him offside but it was too late.

It was just him and the keeper for the second time that game, Aaron cleared his head and put the ball in the top left corner and this time it went in. Ecstatic he ran to the QPR supporters and clutched the badge on his chest. QPR lost, but Aaron felt like he had won.

That goal was the boost of confidence he had needed and it also made him the popular choice to replace Marcus Bent who was sidelined for at least a month.

QPR's next game was in the league, where they had been doing fairly well. Away against Ipswich. Walking out the tunnel, Aaron felt the butterflies he thought he had conquered in the last game. He apparently looked as bad as he felt because Gavin Mahon felt the need to reassure him.

"You gonna be ok lad? He asked.

Aaron cleared his throat and tried to answer but he was having a hard time making words.

Mahon laughed, "Ah, you'll be alright. You're not bad for a Yank." He patted him on the back and with that QPR took the field.

Clearly, he had nothing to worry about. Because, 17 minutes in it was 2-0 thanks to a penalty converted by Martin Rowlands and a goal for Aaron, it was his first in the league and it drove the butterflies in his stomach away. QPR went on to win 3-0 a win that moved them to within 3 points of a playoff spot.

Things were good for Ben and his new club and the future was bright for his son.

But soon, things would change.

May 22, 2010. 2:32 PM BST. Wembley Stadium. Coca Cola Championship Play-off Final. 93rd minute. QPR 3 - Nottingham Forest 0.

Ben Smith couldn't decide which to devote more attention to. His watch, or his team. QPR were 60 seconds away from beating Nottingham Forest in the playoffs. It had been an ugly game. With sitting back and long balls by both teams, neither wanting to give up too much. But, 3-2 was the scoreline and that was enough to win promotion into the premiership.

2 minutes of added time and it had been two and a half. Any second now......There it was! The final whistle gone! QPR would return to the premier league for the first time in years. The party outside Loftus road carried long into the night and when QPR chairman Ishan Saksena called Ben into his office, Ben expected a congratulations. But, that's not what the feeling was when he walked into the boardroom. Looking somber and pensive as ever Ishan invited Ben to sit down. Not wanting to misread things, Ben decided to let Mr. Saksena speak first.

"I suppose you've heard about your brother." Ishan finally said.

"What? What do you-" As almost if, on queue Ben's phone interrupted him. The ID said "Metropolitan Police Station" Ben looked up at Ishan, not wanting to believe. He picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Ben?" his brother asked.

"Yes, billy. It's me. What happened to you? Why are you in prison?!?! What the **** happened?"

"I can't talk right now Ben. Where are you?"

"Speaking with Mr. Saksena. Why?" Ben replied.

"No!" his brother shouted. "Don't listen to him, Ben get out of there. He can't be trusted."

"What are you talki-"

"No! just leave. Go back to the flat and wait for me. I'll be out in a couple of days."

"Uh, ok." Ben said, "See you then."

"Who was that?" Ishan inquired.

"My brother, what's going on? He seems to think you're involved in this."

"Frankly Benny, I am. But your brother willingly participated. So, don't make me the bad guy here."

Ben was reeling. And he was starting to feel nauseous. That's when Ishan Saksena smacked him across the face. The jolt pulling Ben out of the daze he had fallen into.

"Pull yourself together. Now you listen to me, and you listen well. What I am about to tell you, I will only say once. And, if you take what you hear tonight to the police, I will deny it to my grave and it will be your word against mine." Mr. Saksena said, taking on a demeanor Ben had never seen before. Ben Nodded in agreement, but said nothing. He was starting to feel numb.

"Good." He said, "Your brother, myself and a few associates of mine have been providing protection for the mob. Taking care of them, paying off police and various other services." Ben was uncomfortable by the way he had said "services."

"In return we got a piece of their profits. Not an enormous one, but big enough to make us all a little richer. Your brother was a lawyer and a **** good one at that. But he was out of work and he had a mother to take care of. So, we struck up a deal. He worked on cases for us, and we financially provided for his mother's medical dues."

Ben couldn't breathe. Billy? In with the mafia? It just didn't seem right.

"For a long time, things worked out great. Billy got what he needed and we all got payed. But, Billy isn't cut out for this kind of thing. And it was starting to take it's toll on him. And then, your mother died. Suddenly Billy had no reason to stay with us anymore. He was free. But we couldn't just let him walk away from this, not with all that he knew."

Then, like a ton of bricks, it hit Ben. He connected the dots. His job had been a sham.

"He didn't need to continue working for us, that is, until his brother worked for me. Now, you were blissfully unaware the entire time. But your brother didn't know that. He couldn't, otherwise he wouldn't have stayed on. So, in order to convince your brother that you were involved of all of this we had to make it look like you were. Forging documents and things like that. And we knew he'd never leave, because if he did, we told him we'd put you in prison for a long time. Unfortunately, someone within our organisation was not as trustworthy as we thought and your brother is the first of several arrests that will be made tonight. And, I'm sorry to say, this is where you come in."

Ben moved through all of the emotion he had been feeling. And now all he could feel was rage.

"WHAT?!?! I HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!" Ben yelled.

"I'M AWARE OF THAT!" Ishan said, matching Ben's volume level, "But I did what I had to do, and I'm not sorry. I am however, willing to help you. In 3 hours the police will arrive at your door to arrest you and deport your son.'

the thought of his son almost reduced him to tears.

"However, you won't be there. And he won't be deported." Ishan said.

"I don't understand. How?" Ben asked, feeling weak.

"In two hours a black Lincoln Towncar plate number: LJ51 SMR will arrive at your house. Inside will be a wallet and a yellow envelope. Open the envelope and there will be further instruction inside. Are we clear?"

"No." Ben said, "Tell me what's going on right now!"

"I can't, and you don't have time. Listen, you're going to have to trust that your son will be taken care of. You can either see him when this has blown over, or you can see him in 15-20. Your choice." Ishan said, staring Ben down.

"Fine" Ben conceded, "But if anything happens to him I swear, you filthy son of a-"

"He'll be fine." Ishan interrupted. "Now get moving.

And with that, Ben set off for home to say goodbye to his son.

Last edited:
Closed until further notice. I should be back in 3 or 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.