Crusader Kings II

Reaction score
Anyone else played this amazing, in-depth, strategy game from Paradox? I thought it was brilliant, even if it was very Paradox-y - it just doesn't feel finished. For all its failings, it's one of the best games I've played in years (8/10). Like Mount and Blade, it can be quite repetitive after a few hours of play, but it does have more of a replayability, and would've been made a 10/10 if it had simply had more unique events, graphics and traits, a more advanced combat system and a better UI. Just feels a little bare-bones. The modding community should ******* love this, and I'd love them to bring out an official Game of Thrones version of the game, both so they could raise more money for development and because the game system would be amazing in a Game of Thrones setting.

The game is lay-out and gameplay-wise a mix of Medieval:TW and Hearts of Iron, where your goal is to bring as much prestige as possible to your House. You can pick a Christian Count, Duke or King and set about bringing in prestige to your house, however your own family may very well try to kill the current head of your House (which does happen), your heir or the King. You have to institute different types of laws of inheritance, research tech, build new cities, delegate tasks to your vassals, assemble a court, build an army and forge alliances (often through marrying off family members), go on crusades (or Jihad if you convert), keep an eye out for heresies etc. Furthermore, depending on when you begin, Europe may look VERY different depending on how everything goes. Norway has a tendency to conquer England, but somehow get bogged down in civil wars, Poland may conquer Finland, the Holy Roman Empire and Byzantium splinter and fight each other while the Seljuks divide and conquer. Spain is in constant turmoil, where sometimes the Basques end up on top of a big pile of bodies. All in all, the premises for the game is really fun.

My first attempt took me to Norway, where I tried to convert Norway back to Norse paganism, but only ended up with me getting slaughtered by the Christians (boo!). Second attempt saw me help the Byzantine Empire withstand the Seljuk Turks and start expanding back to the original borders of the old Roman Empire. Currently I'm the Duke of Sicily, and Count of Ragusa and Demetrias. However, the Mongols have just begun their invasion which may just spell the end of the Byzantine Empire.

Last edited:
I've had this on my wishlist for a while now, going to wait for a sale on Steam then get it I think.

Been looking for a good PC game to get into since I completed Starcraft II [aaaages ago], think I'll give this ago despite it clearly being way too complicated for my little brain. ):

Been looking for a good PC game to get into since I completed Starcraft II [aaaages ago], think I'll give this ago despite it clearly being way too complicated for my little brain. ):

It's not that complicated, actually. It's just the UI being a little poor, but once you get to grips with it, it's VERY enjoyable!

As expected this game confuses the shizz out of me.. ): What's even more annoying is you can't be Arabs! Lame.

The Game of Thrones Mod has me totally hooked, been on it practically non-stop since 5:30 today.

I bought it for 30 quid then a few days later it was in the first steam sale 75% off
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Still a very good game though, if quite complex