Crusaders F.C. - The European Crusade

Fantastic season there, really top job :) Hopefully you'll be kicking *** in Europe next season as well as on the domestic front!

Thankyou my friend, glad you enjoyed it! I'm a bit behind on posts so I'll post a big update very shortly! Plenty of highs and lows and nearlys to come in the next post!

2015/16 - A change in direction + Champions League Qualifiers!

Onto Pre-Season, and it was very much my plan to bring through the younger players from this point onwards. Being blessed with 7 high potential (4 1/2 star or above) under 18s, 6 of whom came through our own academy, it makes sense to create the next team with them. Our Excellent Junior coaching has meant they are ready for first team football (domestically anyway) straight away. A few stalwarts were released and more will follow in the next few years. Here is the transfer business, where I only signed 2 players and both are simply prospects for the future!

View attachment 409497
A head of youth recruitment and many new coaches were brought in to improve the player development - If only we could turn professional but due to the takeover that will have to wait until next season!

View attachment 409496
View attachment 409495
To go with this new look squad, we changed formation to a 4-5-1 with more short passing and creativity. Due to the massive change in philosophy, it will take some time to get used to this with the Semi-Professional limitations on match preparations but it is best to get accustomed to it as early as possible!

View attachment 409494
View attachment 409493
View attachment 409492
Here's the Squad overview:

View attachment 409491

Champions League Qualification

There was very little time for pre-season friendlies so we pretty much got stuck straight into qualifying, with an easy draw against some Bosnian side in the 2nd Round. We destroyed them 6-1 on aggregate, a good start!

View attachment 409490
View attachment 409489
Sad news for Northern Irish football as Linfield, Cliftonville and Dundela (a 2nd tier side!) all were beaten within the first 2 rounds of Europa League qualification. It does nothing to our league reputation with UEFA but at least they will get a couple hundred thousand pounds each!

Onto the next round of the big time Champions League with Crusaders, and we were drawn against the Irish club which beat us in the All-Ireland cup easily last season, Dundalk! I was worried by this and couldn't take them lightly for one second... We played the away game first and 2 set pieces saw us steal a very lucky but welcome 2-0 win! With 1 foot in the playoffs, we went with the 4-5-1 Standard in the home match, and were beaten 2-1 but edged through 3-2 on aggregate!

View attachment 409488
View attachment 409487
We've made the playoffs for a second successive season, but can we go one further and make the groups? The difference between winning and losing these 2 games is ?5million - huge, especially to a club in Northern Ireland.

Drawn against Steau Bucharest, a Romanian side, we went into the away leg...

We played a 4-5-1 Defensive and held out the whole match for a 0-0. We had chances to score a critical away goal but couldn't take them, while Steau crafted a few of their own also. A brave performance, and the home leg would decide our fate.

View attachment 409485
2nd leg and we scored the opener, but they fought back and scored the crucial away goal. We chased and chased, throwing everything at them and hit the post in the 90th minute but just couldn't score! The feeling of disappointment at only making the Europa League Group stages was immense, despite the ?3million in revenue from this, as it could have been much more. Hopefully it will be third time lucky next season!

View attachment 409484
Here's the fixtures so far:

View attachment 409481

We were given another impossible group in the Europa League, being drawn against Everton, Lyon and Genk!

Finances are looking good once again, after raking in the prize money from Europe. I'll upgrade training facilities again, as well as going professional in the summer to ensure our young players reach their potential faster! We should still have some left over for the first time also

View attachment 409477

This was a big update so I'll break it up into 2, with the 2nd showing our Group stage and domestic progress in the 2015/16 season! Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Europa League Group stages!

Our group of Everton, Lyon and Genk was a very tough one, and we lost the first 3 fixtures! I put this down to playing a brand of football we aren't used to and which is maybe too expansive, so the gulf in quality shows. We did manage a 3-0 win at home to Genk but we finished the group with just those 3 points!

View attachment 409474
View attachment 409473
View attachment 409472
View attachment 409471
View attachment 409470
View attachment 409469

Final Group Table:

View attachment 409464

We move on very quickly from European football to focus on my target of winning all 5 domestic trophies on offer for the first time!

Domestic dominance with the class of 2015!

With Europe out the way, here's the update on everything else Crusaders!

View attachment 409458
View attachment 409457
View attachment 409456
We're undefeated in the League after 22 games and top the table! Big surprise of the season is Linfield lingering in the bottom 4. The new formation has made us much more dominant in games, and harder to break down with the holding midfielder!

View attachment 409455
We also won the County Antrim shield for the 3rd successive season against struggling Linfield:

View attachment 409454
Finally a stature/infrastructure update. In addition to agreeing turn turn professional next season, training facilities will be upgraded again! The finances screen can be seen in the CL qualifying post, and further down the last 2 screenshots show the progress we're making with Exceptional Junior Coaching, better facilities all round and club value of ?4.7million. Now if only we could buy a few more season ticket holders!

View attachment 409452
View attachment 409451

View attachment 409445

I honestly believe we're just 1 central midfielder and winger away from winning a CL qualifier, or making more of an impact in the Europa groups now that we have changed the philosophy so radically. Things are looking very rosy in the long term for Crusaders and NI football!

End of season update coming in a few minutes!

The Invincibles + surprise!

January was very quiet, with no signings in or out (apart from younsters being loaned away for experience). Our Youth Intake this season was smaller than last year, but I got the central midfielder I craved! Tall and talented, he's got alot of good attributes already although some of his mental stats need work! Check him out:

View attachment 408974
Now for the glory trail:

View attachment 408994
View attachment 408992
View attachment 408990
View attachment 408989
View attachment 408986
View attachment 408988
View attachment 408985
View attachment 408983

Brilliant from the boys as we dominated, pure and simple! Here's the squad that did it for me:

View attachment 408981
Job confidence is high, needless to say

View attachment 408982
View attachment 408978
View attachment 408979
Out of the blue, we got this bid for our second choice keeper, 500k had me thinking but the guy came through with 2 1/2 star potential last season so I turned it down. He sure has the potential to go far...

View attachment 408977
However, I couldn't turn down this next bid. After a bit of negotiating, I added a 50% sell on clause to the 2.4million Southampton were offering for a player who hadn't forced his way into our starting XI yet! I'd be silly not to accept such a deal, and ?2million of that money was invested straight back into the youth facilities!

View attachment 408976
View attachment 408975
Bad news though, as I don't think we're going professional this season either. We've had less than a million in the balance since the training facilities upgrade was paid for in May and our projection was something ridiculous like 2million in the red, which is impossible and a miscalculation, and costs us professional status for next year. I'll do my best to have a few million banked come May 2017 so that we are guaranteed Pro status!

Good story so far. Well done on the quintuple.

The Northern Irish league quality seems to start at a similar level to the Iceland league, which i'm now in 2027 with KR in my save.

Good story so far. Well done on the quintuple.

The Northern Irish league quality seems to start at a similar level to the Iceland league, which i'm now in 2027 with KR in my save.

Thanks, 13 trophies so far in 3 seasons ain't bad going but you mention the quality being poor which is very true. We're probably at about league 2 level now as a league, so attracting players from abroad is hard which is why I'm focused on the academy. Hows the Icelandic league doing in 2027, got any more CL spots and league revenue?

How do you get the instant result button mate??

Sounds like a great idea!

Thanks, 13 trophies so far in 3 seasons ain't bad going but you mention the quality being poor which is very true. We're probably at about league 2 level now as a league, so attracting players from abroad is hard which is why I'm focused on the academy. Hows the Icelandic league doing in 2027, got any more CL spots and league revenue?

The league revenue has improved a lot. We still only have 1 CL spot in the 2nd qualifying round though :(. The other teams are letting me down badly, as none of them have even once made the group stages of the europa league.

The league revenue has improved a lot. We still only have 1 CL spot in the 2nd qualifying round though :(. The other teams are letting me down badly, as none of them have even once made the group stages of the europa league.

It's funny, I was just about to post a reply to your Icelandic thread as I was reading it on my phone in a lecture! Brilliant work mate, it's great you're seeing the rewards long term for your patience. That first Group stage in Europe is always crucial, and the floodgates open after that (in terms of success). It's a shame that other clubs haven't managed a single Group appearance in the whole game, and it might be worth paying 2-3m for a player from one of your rivals to kickstart the Icelandic football economy!

We got fairly lucky in the first season with the Europa draw, and we wouldn't have had the subsequent success without it. I've tried to help our league by paying over the odds for many players who I could "Approach to sign" but it didn't help them break into the groups so far. Having seen your save, it just shows you can't do it ALL on your own and unless your rivals step up, it's unlikely you'll progress much further until you consistently hit the knockouts in Europe.

How much is the league revenue now? Hopefully you reach a tipping point

How do you get the instant result button mate??

Sounds like a great idea!

Go to the steam workshop and search it mate. It's brilliant, I've never played FMC because I'm too hardcore and like being omnipotent but I'm guessing it's the best feature to it!

Just read the whole story, Keep up the good work, and hopefully you will go pro next season!

View attachment 408707

What do you guys think of the big sale that smashed our record for player sales? ?2.4million pounds for this guy who is by far the best player to come through our academy. Was I right to let him go before he broke through into our starting XI (he was a close 2nd choice after Drummond, another good young keeper I signed in the first season but doesn't have potential like this guy)

View attachment 525008

What do you guys think of the big sale that smashed our record for player sales? ?2.4million pounds for this guy who is by far the best player to come through our academy. Was I right to let him go before he broke through into our starting XI (he was a close 2nd choice after Drummond, another good young keeper I signed in the first season but doesn't have potential like this guy)

I think you should have let him grow more in NI and then you might have sold him for a much more hefty price tag.

I think you should have let him grow more in NI and then you might have sold him for a much more hefty price tag.

Probably, but the money was too good to resist given the uncertainty of European money. The 50% of next fee could be useful if he's the next ... Roy Carroll? Haha

Loving the story so far mate! I love these stories where people grow a whole nation as well as a club! I'll definitely keep following. Hopefully you can get some help from the other teams in your league to help boost reputation!

Loving the story so far mate! I love these stories where people grow a whole nation as well as a club! I'll definitely keep following. Hopefully you can get some help from the other teams in your league to help boost reputation!

They need a lucky draw because at the moment they don't stand a chance against some of the teams in the qualifiers. Hopefully they can do it soon, and thamks for following!

Go to the steam workshop and search it mate. It's brilliant, I've never played FMC because I'm too hardcore and like being omnipotent but I'm guessing it's the best feature to it!

I cant find this Instant Result button mate, i searched and couldn't see it. Any idea what i should do?? lol