Crysis 2 (Xbox 360, PS3 and PC)

Nathan

Reaction score
crysis2_588x332px_0_0.png

Crysis 2 is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by Crytek and published by Electronic Arts, due for release on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in March 2011. It is the sequel to the 2007 video game Crysis and its parallel expansion game, Crysis Warhead.The story was written by authors Richard Morgan. and Peter Watts, who has also written a novel adaptation of the game. It will be the first game to showcase the CryEngine 3 game engine.

Overview

Crysis 2 is set in New York City in the year 2023 (three years after the events of the first game), which has since been evacuated due to alien infestation. Similar to its predecessor, Crysis 2 will provide freedom to customize weaponry and abilities. Crytek wanted to avoid making another game set in a jungle environment, as were Far Cry and Crysis; New York City has been dubbed an "urban jungle". The urban atmosphere offers more options in how to progress and plan attacks. Players will be able to navigate between floors and buildings, as well as destroy cityscape.

Players will play as "Alcatraz", a Green Beret, the new successor of "Nomad", from the first game, although there has been speculation that "Alcatraz" may just be Nomad's new codename to stay anonymous to Crynet. The protagonist steals the Nanosuit 2 from Crynet Systems. As a consequence, Crynet Systems starts a manhunt for the player. The Nanosuit 2 gives players more freedom in their options of how to tackle situations on the battlefield. The aliens have also undergone major redesigning, transforming the floating warriors from the first game into the even more lethal, armored bipedal war machines that stalk the ravaged New York. Crytek has stated their intention to surpass the original game graphically and have noted that combat in the game will be "catastrophically beautiful". Crytek has also claimed that Crysis 2 will have lower system requirements than the original game and also support stereoscopic 3D

Trailers

YouTube - Crysis 2 Be The Weapon Trailer YouTube - Crysis 2 - Salvage Trailer

Gameplay

YouTube - Crysis 2 - Central Station Demo Commentary YouTube - Crysis 2: Hero's Journey Multiplayer Footage

Scheduled Release Dates

• North America - March 22, 2011
  • Europe -March 25, 2011
Crysis 1 holds an 91 average rating on Metacritic

Crysis Warhead holds an 84 average rating on Metacritic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved the first Crysis and Crysis Warhead on PC, when I heard they were bringing the franchise to consoles I wasn't happy as I thought it would be consolised and wouldn't live up to my expectations. Since release I haven't been happy about Crysis 2 but now it is starting to catch my interest again and looks as if it is shaping up into a great game.

Last edited:
Will not buy it. But I have a question.
Many companies make games that are about humans getting invaded by aliens.
Why not make more games that relates humans invade aliens instead?

yeah be a good idea that, we invade aliens and we are far more advanced lol. I wont bother with Crysis it was okay on PC (if you had a super computer to run it) because it looked amazing, but really its just a generic first person shooter.

yeah be a good idea that, we invade aliens and we are far more advanced lol. I wont bother with Crysis it was okay on PC (if you had a super computer to run it) because it looked amazing, but really its just a generic first person shooter.

Yeah, the gunplay was generic but what made it so good was the amount of ways that you could complete your objective and the nanosuit modes.

not enough, plenty of games do the complete your objective in different ways, different orders. Apart from the graphics nothing set it apart from any other FPS for me.
With it being on 360/Ps3 they may have to dumb the graphics down a little

Or be the aliens ivading, with choices of which part of civilization to attack. e.g go for nuclear power / electricity / light source / factories / water supply etc work your way through the game unil mankind cant continue.

Anyway, never played crysis 1 as I heard you need a very good PC. What was the first like, any ideas about what the 2nd will be like?

Or be the aliens ivading, with choices of which part of civilization to attack. e.g go for nuclear power / electricity / light source / factories / water supply etc work your way through the game unil mankind cant continue.

Anyway, never played crysis 1 as I heard you need a very good PC. What was the first like, any ideas about what the 2nd will be like?

as I said, first one was okay, average, decent, mediocre, not bad.......the second one will be the same minus out of this world graphics

not enough, plenty of games do the complete your objective in different ways, different orders. Apart from the graphics nothing set it apart from any other FPS for me.
With it being on 360/Ps3 they may have to dumb the graphics down a little
Yeah, but how many of them are sandbox FPS games with dynamic pre-rendered maps? From 2007 onwards, name at least 10 of them.

And what exactly is a "generic first person shooter"? You say nothing sets it apart from other FPS games. If that's what you mean by "generic", then Crysis was a lot less "generic" than some of the more popular ones like COD, Killzone, MOH, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, but how many of them are sandbox FPS games with dynamic pre-rendered maps? From 2007 onwards, name at least 10 of them.

And what exactly is a "generic first person shooter"? You say nothing sets it apart from other FPS games. If that's what you mean by "generic", then Crysis was a lot less "generic" than some of the more popular ones like COD, Killzone, MOH, etc.

Far Cry
Far Cry 2
S T A L K E R
Borderlands
Operation Flashpoint
Fallout (kind of FPS)
Medal Of HOnour Airborne
Halo ODST
ARMA 2
Boiling Point Road To ****

By Generic I mean it has a lot of common FPS Traits, for example the Call Of Duty duck and cover to get health back, the story felt like an awful B Movie, and not the good type of awful B movie.
As I said I was only interested in the game because the graphics were unbelievably, with the actual game being average I did not feel blown away or ever feel the need to replay it.

So we bring this to consoles, were a lot of the game will be stripped out, graphics wont be as jaw dropping, the sandbox element may not be as OPEN world with less processing power.
Remember Crysis on PC had nearly has many controls as Microsoft flight simulator so that may get dumbed down on console.

My recommendation to anyone interested is dont spend £39.99 on this, rent it.

Far Cry
Far Cry 2
S T A L K E R
Borderlands
Operation Flashpoint
Fallout (kind of FPS)
Medal Of HOnour Airborne
Halo ODST
ARMA 2

By Generic I mean it has a lot of common FPS Traits, for example the Call Of Duty duck and cover to get health back, the story felt like an awful B Movie, and not the good type of awful B movie.
As I said I was only interested in the game because the graphics were unbelievably, with the actual game being average I did not feel blown away or ever feel the need to replay it.

So we bring this to consoles, were a lot of the game will be stripped out, graphics wont be as jaw dropping, the sandbox element may not be as OPEN world with less processing power.
Remember Crysis on PC had nearly has many controls as Microsoft flight simulator so that may get dumbed down on console.

My recommendation to anyone interested is dont spend £39.99 on this, rent it.

If it is so average then why does the original hold a 91 average rating on Metacritic and several AAA reviews and also get GameSpot's game of the year in 2007 (with the likes of Call of Duty 4 challenging).

I highly doubt it was only the graphics that did it.

Also, here is some of what GameSpot put as the good in their review.

• Dynamic, emergent shooter gameplay
  • Unparalleled visuals with destructible environments
  • High level of replayability
  • Power struggle makes for huge multiplayer battles
  • An amazing accomplishment overall.

Last edited:
Far Cry
Far Cry 2
S T A L K E R
Borderlands
Operation Flashpoint
Fallout (kind of FPS)
Medal Of HOnour Airborne
Halo ODST
ARMA 2
FarCry 2 does not have pre-rendered maps. Hence, the annoying outpost re-spawns everytime you pass by them. Neither does Halo ODST and Medal of Honour Airbourne. And these two in particular are not sandbox.

be buying this for me aleinware area 51 next year and for xbox cant wait for it.

Last edited:
it looks good, but i think killzone 3 and resistnace 3 will have most of my FPS time in 2011

If it is so average then why does the original hold a 91 average rating on Metacritic and several AAA reviews and also get GameSpot's game of the year in 2007 (with the likes of Call of Duty 4 challenging).

I highly doubt it was only the graphics that did it.

Also, here is some of what GameSpot put as the good in their review.

• Dynamic, emergent shooter gameplay
  • Unparalleled visuals with destructible environments
  • High level of replayability
  • Power struggle makes for huge multiplayer battles
  • An amazing accomplishment overall.

Graphics will have played a big part in the final score, I'll admit the reviewers were must of been more impressed with the game play than I was

FarCry 2 does not have pre-rendered maps. Hence, the annoying outpost re-spawns everytime you pass by them. Neither does Halo ODST and Medal of Honour Airbourne. And these two in particular are not sandbox.

they are sandbox, no less sandbox than Crysis, I ignored Pre Rendered graphics from my list as they are console games except Stalker, which are far less likely to have pre rendered graphics, than Crysis which needs an awesome PC to run on med settings, and a super computer to run on max

they are sandbox, no less sandbox than Crysis, I ignored Pre Rendered graphics from my list as they are console games except Stalker, which are far less likely to have pre rendered graphics, than Crysis which needs an awesome PC to run on med settings, and a super computer to run on max
My point exactly. There are not that many games like Crysis. In fact, the graphics+gameplay combination is quite rare among action-FPS games. One thing I'll concede, however, is that the mission inside alien mothership was tedious and annoying, and the "boss fight" at the end was unnecessary. But the first-half of the game was pure class.

BTW, Crysis doesn't need a super-computer to run it in max settings. These days, a mainstream gaming setup like a Quad Core processsor, GTX 275/HD 5850 graphics card and 4 Gigs of RAM is enough. Of course, it still depends on what resolution and amount of AA level you're going for. But considering the fact that most FPS games on consoles are kept on 720p or lower to be able to churn out an average frame-rate of about 30, it should do just fine.

Last edited:
Crysis was just a glorified tech demo.

There is no need to make a sequel, but people will buy it regardless. :S

My point exactly. There are not that many games like Crysis. In fact, the graphics+gameplay combination is quite rare among action-FPS games. One thing I'll concede, however, is that the mission inside alien mothership was tedious and annoying, and the "boss fight" at the end was unnecessary. But the first-half of the game was pure class.

BTW, Crysis doesn't need a super-computer to run it in max settings. These days, a mainstream gaming setup like a Quad Core processsor, GTX 275/HD 5850 graphics card and 4 Gigs of RAM is enough. Of course, it still depends on what resolution and amount of AA level you're going for. But considering the fact that most FPS games on consoles are kept on 720p or lower to be able to churn out an average frame-rate of about 30, it should do just fine.

and as I said Graphics yes, but gameplay no, on the whole feels similar to many other FPS games, sandbox or not you dont have the freedom you think. Parts are basically corridors were you cant go anyay but straight ahead or back, like a linear shooter.

Today is the big day for Crytek, as Crysis 2 is being released. PC gamers around the world have been waiting patiently for this moment but there is something just not right. Forget the beta and the demo that had major ‘consolified’ features. Let’s concentrate on the final PC version that is released and see how Crytek have literally doomed the PC version of Crysis 2.
For starters, the game doesn’t support DX11. Although Crytek stated that they will address that via a patch, this is not what you, me and every PC gamer out there want to. PC gamers don’t want gimmick DX11 effects. As the game is not developed with the DX11 in mind, we won’t get the tessellation results of (let’s say) the Unigine ‘Heaven’ Benchmark. We are certain that when the DX11 patch gets released, Crytek will be stating how gritty those PC gamers are for pirating their game and how disappointed they are as they did what PC gamers asked for. This is not the true however.

As Crytek stated in the past, the PC version development would not be hurt by the console versions. Then how come there isn’t already the DX11 path? How come there isn’t a 64bit executable file? How come there is still the ‘press start button’ (in order to fix it, you’ll have to update the game with the day-0 patch)? How come there are still issues with those that have 5.1/7.1 sound systems and are forced to select 2.1 from their soundcard’s control panel? And for the love of God, how come there aren’t any advanced settings as we are talking about a PC game?

These issues would have been addressed, if there was a proper beta test for the PC version.
And that’s the whole purpose of a beta test my dear Crytek. It is not about hyping your game to attract more gamers as you did with the exclusive X360 test. The fact that the ‘press start button’ issue is not fixed in the final version and needs a patch means that the game went Gold when the PC demo got released. Plain and simple. That’s why Nathan Camarillo stated, regarding the advanced settings, that “they’ll look at whether that’s a possibility”. Because the game has already went Gold. Or in other words… it was a statement to handle damage control.

To add more salt to PC gamers wounds, Crytek didn’t include any modding tools or an editor to the PC version of Crysis 2. This basically means that Crytek is turning their back to their big modding community. Crytek stated that they’d release a CryEngine 3 SDK in summer but here is the tricky part. There isn’t any mention about a ‘modders version’ of the editor for Crysis 2 yet. In other words, it will be similar to UDK and will be best suited for indie teams, not modders of Crysis 2. But even if there is a ‘modders version’, the first mods will surface around October at best… and by that time we’ll be enjoying games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Batman: Arkham City and both Battlefield 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (which will be friendly to the mod community) will be around the corner.

At this point, I really need to mention some Crysis modders that offered us some amazing mods. Just to let you know what you’ll be missing. Xzero offered us some incredible mods and one of them was the POM with AF mod. Although Crytek stated that it was an engine limitation (the incompatibility of POM with AF), Xzero managed to find a work around. And we were really disappointed with the absence of POM in Crysis 2. Yeap, you read it right. Crysis 2 doesn’t support POM. YodaStar and Xigmatek offered us some amazing particles effects that put to shame the ones found in Crysis 2. CyberAlien’s Extreme Quality Mod is mind-blowing and let’s not forget Silent’s high-resolution textures.

All in all, the PC version of Crysis 2 is a console port and nothing more. We haven’t discussed the gameplay as we wanted to focus on specific PC features that are present in Crysis 1 and everyone would expect them to be still present. After all, this is not a review of the game. It is also funny witnessing Crytek’s employees wondering why PC gamers need ‘Advanced Settings’ when they can edit the cVar files to change whatever setting they want. How about it’s easier to find out what settings can impact the framerate with the in-game advanced settings?

We are pretty sure that Crytek will be blaming PC piracy if the PC version sales don’t meet their expectations. Instead of the PC piracy however, Crytek should blame themselves for letting down their PC fanbase and offering them a simple console port that lacks features that made Crysis what it is today. Maximum disappointment!

http://www.dasreviews.com/das-latest-greatest/crytek-doomed-crysis-2s-pc-version/

Anybody actually buy this game?

Multiplayer is pretty epic, matchmaking sucks though :(

Watched my mate on it the other day. Collecting the tags to build up a streak was a good idea I thought