Current Ability vs Attributes ?

Snorks

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time looking at player attributes, and would like to ask those who know:

When judging a player (before buying say) and comparing his attributes against my current squad, often, the attributes for the role/duty I am looking at will outstrip my current player in that position - great!

BUT the Current Ability star rating places him well below.

I realise the star rating is only the opinion of my staff, but I have downloaded an in game editor and the actual numbers show the same thing.

SO the question is - should I place more weight on the actual attributes rather than the CA when selecting players?

Many thanks in advance

It depends on other factors too. Is he one-footed? How's his personality? Is he consistent? Does he perform in big matches? Can he handle pressure? That will need weighing up as well.

If that's all good, his attributes should reflect that he has a lower/higher CA.

I completely ignore Star Ratings personally. The more I learn about hem, the more pointless they've become to me.

They're a fantastic tool for helping people learn how to judge players and learn how to distinguish the difference between a world class player and an ordinary player but I advice everyone to put that little bit of extra time into learning to trust your gut on signing a player based off his attributes, personality and his form

I wouldn't say I completely ignore star ratings. I use it to narrow down potential signings. In a massive list, I'd look at, say, everyone rated 4+ stars. From there I'll look at the attributes etc myself.

Thanks all for your help......valuable as always

I wouldn't say I completely ignore star ratings. I use it to narrow down potential signings. In a massive list, I'd look at, say, everyone rated 4+ stars. From there I'll look at the attributes etc myself.

Good advice. I agree with you to use it to help shorten a huge list but I wouldn't say have the cut off that high as you might miss some great players. I've seen players go from 3* to 4* after a solid season at the club. Happened me with Munir when I signed him season six. Scouts rated him a 3* player but after a sensational debut season, he's rated 4.5*

I sometimes feel the Scouts factor form into their reports since I've seen amazing players given low scout ratings and when I check, they've been getting very little game time even though stats, mentality, ect wise, they're very capable players and deserve higher ratings.

The Star ratings are dynamic from what I've seen to I urge people not to place too much of an emphasis on them.

I've started to think of star ratings as 'importance' to the team/squad on paper rather than the actual reflection of stats.

I've started to think of star ratings as 'importance' to the team/squad on paper rather than the actual reflection of stats.

That is ****** insightful! :p I've never thought about it like that befroe :p

That is ****** insightful! :p I've never thought about it like that befroe :p

sarky sod, but theres seems to be alot of these star rating thread this year or around now for some reason, maybe player importance is a bit basic terminology. Some of them are taking the stars as gospel in valuation :p

sarky sod, but theres seems to be alot of these star rating thread this year or around now for some reason, maybe player importance is a bit basic terminology. Some of them are taking the stars as gospel in valuation :p

For the record, I was being honest when I said that was insightful. Really made me look at Star ratings differently.

Aye, I've noticed it myself though they do tend to pop up everywhere. i think they're back since they introduced the variable (black stars) where their ability and potential are hidden until you scout them excessively. That's probably been the reason so many people have brought the topic back up.

ahh its the :p tends to lend itself to sarcasm.

yeah, i like the new system much more involved.

I've never thought about it like that befroe
o.png

o.png

This star system is really dumb....I got Isco at Chelsea in 3rd season and he only has 2.5 stars....when he is one of the best players