churros

Reaction score
TL;DR version:

Player A (on the ball) = bad position to score but path to pass to player B is clear.

Player B (off the ball) = clear shot on goal, unmarked, onside.

90% of the time player A shoots and GK saves. Tried with every combination of tactics/roles/players/instructions but to no avail. Players don't grasp the concept of centering the ball. Ever. Wtf is wrong, the game or me?

--

Full version:

I seem to be getting this scenario over and over and over again:

Player A in a difficult position to score with opposition GK coming off his line and tightening the scoring angles.

Player B in a much better position with space and angle to score, clear off opposition markers, very little pressure.

Pass from A to B is clear since opponent defenders are off position from this counter-attack, it's 100% the better option. In a professional game in real life you'd always expect the pass to be played instead of the tough shot. Even a selfish player would have the sense to play the assist instead. If you've played Fifa they've coined this a "sweaty goal" where a player squares the ball to his teammate, and human players and AI alike would normally opt for the sensible assist.

Instead in FM, player A, thanks to the idiotic AI would go for the difficult shot 9 in 10 times instead, and again 9 in 10 times the keeper saves it, since he's already in very good position to cover the goal.

This has happened way too many times and absolutely destroys the purpose and concept of a counter-attack, and is ******* frustrating. It's costed me plenty of goals and wins, and then the idiot team have to go back with an angry or depressed morale just because their AI are programmed so stupidly.

--

So the question here is am I right or wrong? This isn't the issue of my tactic, passing style, player mentality, or whatever. Not an issue of ultra selfish players with less than 5 teamwork attribute. In fact I've got a player with 15 teamwork, 15 composure and 14 decisions faced with this situation 3 times in 2 games and each time he's smashed the ball straight into the GK. Also, that's with the crossing instruction set to 'often'. No shenanigans with Shouts or anything used.

I've tried with every combination of many variables possible, from relevant ones from passing focus (mixed/flanks/center), passing style (direct/short), to even apparently irrelevant ones like creative freedom, player roles (inside forward/winger/ap) and team mentality (control/attacking).

Out of so many AI mechanic, how could SI get something so basic and essential as squaring the ball for an almost sure goal, wrong?

Just ps. my formation is 4-2-3-1. So it's usually my winger who's the player A here. Oh yeah, just a reminder as I've said in the TL;DR version, player B is ALWAYS onside.

my pennyworths, try lowering his creative freedom to 2 notches from the far left so he hardly has any creative freedom!, set passing to direct and thru balls and no long shots and crossing set to centre/middle see if this changes anything mate??