Dan's Atlético Madrid Guide

Dan

I'm back!!!!!
Reaction score
Welcome to Dan's guide on the second team in Madrid, Atlético Madrid

150px-Atletico_Madrid_logo.png

Club Information

Club Name: Club Atlético de Madrid, S.A.D.
Chairman: Enrique Cerezo
Division: Liga BBVA
Last year: 9th
Nicknames: Atléti, Los Colchoneros
Rivals: Real Madrid, Espanyol, Barcelona, Sevilla, Osasuna
Manager: Quique Flores
Recent History: 2010 Europa League Champions

Expectations and Budgets

On Football Manager 2011, when you take over as manager of Atlético Madrid, you get a choice of three expectations and three budgets:

Continental qualification through league finish - £6,000,000
Title Challenge - £7,500,000
Winner - £8,000,000

I recommend that you choose the first one, Continental qualification. This is due to, I believe that they have not got the strength to challenge the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Due to this, I do not believe it is worth having the extra £2,000,000 in risk of being sacked if you do not meet expectations.

Advice : You get given a great wage budget and you can extend it to get over £40,000,000 in transfer budget, but do not abuse this.

Staff

At Atlético Madrid, you have a pretty poor group of staff.

Santi is your Assistant Manager. He is not bad but you may probably want to get another one.
Reccomendation: Werner Kern

In matter of fact, there are no staff that are worth keeping but I am probably not the guy to ask about that.

Please check this thread for help with coaches:

Essential Coach List

Reccomendation for scouts:
Tord Grip

Players

Goalkeepers

David De Gea
Sergio Asenjo
Joel Robles

In my opinion there is no need for investment here. David De Gea is one of the best young goalkeepers in the world and Sergio Asenjo is a brilliant back up. The third goalkeeper, Joel Robles is a good young prospect and will be a pretty good keeper if given the right training.

Central Defenders

Alvaro Dominguez
Diego Godín
Tomas Ujfalusi
Luis Perea
Juanito

This is not a bad area of the team. For the first year, Diego Godín and Tomas Ujfalusi should probably be your main partnership at the back. After season one however, Ujfalusi will drift off so someone else may need to be brought in. Alvaro Dominguez is a very good back up and is very young so will only improve. Luis Perea, I found, is a backup at best. Juanito is poor and is getting on, it may be worth releasing him to free up some wages.

Recommended Transfers:

In:
Sebastien Coates (£2.4 million release clause)
Leonel Galeano £5-8 million
Raphael Varane £2 million

Out:
Juanito (Free Transfer)

Full Backs

Filipe
Alvaro Dominguez
Tomas Ujfalusi
Antonio López
Luis Perea
Juan Valera

Your best two out of these lot are probably Felipe for the left back position and Valera for right back. Antonio López is decent backup to Felipe and may be sold to free up some wages. If you do sell López you may want to invest in a young left back to take over from Filipe. Ujfalusi, Perea and Dominguez are unreliable back ups in these positions. Right back is probably the weakest position in the team. Juan Valera may do for now but you will probably want better than him.

Recommended Transfers:

In:
Diego Renan (Cruizeiro) £14.5 million
Rafael (loan)
Dodo (Corinthians) £2 million
Mikael Lustig (Rosenborg) £2.5 million
Lorenzo De Silvestri (Fiorentina) £9 million
Andreas Beck (Hoffenheim) £5 million

Out:
Antonio López? £4 million

Defensive Midfielders

Paulo Assuncao
Mario Suarez
Raul Garcia
Ignacio Camacho

This probably is not the strongest part of the squad and I would not recommend playing with a defensive midfielder, however if you do, you would be best investing in a new one. Camacho is probably the best of the bunch but only starts reaching his potential after a season or more. I did not use Suarez much so if you don't use a DMC he can be sold.

Recommended Transfers:

In:
Anthony Annan (Rosenborg) £5 million
Radosav Petrovic (Partizan) £6 million
Yaroslav Rakitskyi (Shakhtar) £6 million

Out:
Mario Suarez £4 million

Central Midfielders

26625.jpg

Tiago
Paulo Assuncao
Mario Suarez
Raul Garcia
Ignacio Camacho
Fran Merida

This part of the team with a quite a bit of depth but not much quality. Fran Merida and Tiago are not bad but you probably want better. Once again, Camacho is good after one season but you will probably want to invest in the short term.

Recommended Transfers:

In:
Server Jeparov (Bunyodkor) £700K
Steven Defour (Standard) £7 million

Wingers

Jose-Antonio-Reyes-wallpaper-30-610.jpg

Simao
Jose Antonio Reyes
Eduardo Salvio (out on loan)
Juan Valera
Fran Merida

This is an area with quality but not much depth. Simao is by far the best wingers at the club and works brilliantly as an inside forward on the right flank. Reyes is definitely the best left winger, working on the same role as Simao. The rest are merely backups and some better back up is required.

Recommended Transfers:

In:
Alexis Sanchez £13.5 million
Adam Hlousek £2.8 million

Strikers

Forlan-Happy.jpg

Sergio Aguero
Diego Forlán
Borja Bastón
José Antonio Reyes
Diego Costa
Eduardo Salvio (out on loan)

In Aguero and Forlán, you have potentially got one of the best strike forces in Europe. However, Diego will not last forever and you will probably want someone to take over from him. Reyes is a decent back up but not one to rely on up front. Costa and Bastón are decent young players but are not yet ready for the first team.

Recommended Transfers:

In:
Sergio Araujo (Boca) £3 million
Daniel Pacheco (Liverpool) Loan

Recommended Transfer Summary

In:
Sebastien Coates (£2.4 million release clause)
Leonel Galeano £5-8 million
Raphael Varane £2 million
Diego Renan (Cruizeiro) £14.5 million
Rafael (loan)
Dodo (Corinthians) £2 million
Mikael Lustig (Rosenborg) £2.5 million
Lorenzo De Silvestri (Fiorentina) £9 million
Andreas Beck (Hoffenheim) £5 million
Anthony Annan (Rosenborg) £5 million
Radosav Petrovic (Partizan) £6 million
Yaroslav Rakitskyi (Shakhtar) £6 million
Server Jeparov (Bunyodkor) £700K
Steven Defour (Standard) £7 million
Alexis Sanchez £13.5 million
Adam Hlousek £2.8 million
Sergio Araujo (Boca) £3 million
Daniel Pacheco (Liverpool) Loan

Tip: Be aware when buying players of the maximum of the 3 non-EU player rule. I have been caught out by this as many of you may see from my recommended signings. Only 3 non-Eu players can be registered for the league.

Additional Information

Captains

Antonio López is the current captain but I do not see why. I recommend Diego Forlán for captain as he has a high influence attribute, you will not regret it. Simao is good as vice.

Recommendations:

Forlan-Happy.jpg

Captain: Diego Forlán
Vice Captain: Simao

Tactics

For the tactic, I would highly recommend using a 4-4-2 formation with advanced wingers. Forlán and Aguero work brilliantly as a partnership as Complete Forward and Poacher respectively. My tactic below that I have developed myself may prove to help you.

CAtlticoMadridSADAtMadrid_Tactics.png

Dan's Atlético Tactic

Last edited:
nice guide dan

though Camoucho and Simao have left

On 10.2? Have they?

Doesnt apply to Fm till March then does it ;)

nice guide dan but maybe an overall summary of transfers with possible combinations of transfers at the end

great Guide Dan, really informative an I will defo use it if i do a At Madrid save :)

nice Dan, try and offer a few more recommendations per position, as well as more for Cm as Jeparov is a decent player at most (you did say you could get around 40 million :)) let me know if you would like some suggestions...

Great guide Dan :thup: Also thanks for adding the link to my coaches thread :)