Darkatdawn Holy **** Emulation of Chile playstyle

Darkatdawn

Reaction score
Background

Marcelo Bielsa’s tactical mastermind and the revolution he did with Chile in the last World Cup, left experts and the likes bespoken.

Bielsa’s 3-3-1-3 is an inherently attacking formation that aims to take the game to Chile’s opponents, press and defend high up the pitch, and stretch the play as wide as possible when in possession. His back three and the holding midfielder are essentially the four defensive-minded players, whilst the two wing-backs surge forward whenever possible, trying to create overloads against opposition full-backs, and also venturing into more central attacking positions to provide a goal threat.

Some experts in the field claim that the team uses full-backs and even Defensive Midfielders at the back, they base they thesis on the habilities of the players, a full-back is often less skillfull with the ball when going out of defense while a DM can do both functions in that position, defend and also play ball.

In terms of how the midfield shapes up; it is generally laid out as a diamond and is never flat, which means that the wide-of-centre players do not necessarily have to be wide midfielders or wing-backs, though some indeed are. Overall, I think Bielsa likes to have a mix – and so, beside the obvious presence of a holding player (either Gary Medel of Boca Juniors or Pedro Carmona), it is common to see a wing-back/wide-midfielder on one side whilst a more well-rounded midfield player can take the other flank.

Note - Due to limitations of Football Manager, at present is not possible to put wing-baks in front of the defense.

The tactic changes if the opposition has 2 strikers at front, Chile will use 3 defenders, if the opposition uses only one striker, they use only 2 defenders. The midfield and forward lines dont ever change numbers or shape.
Chile press high up the pitch and their consequent high defensive line means that they can often be caught out on the counter-attack.

The number of players Chile get into the final third is frightening at times. Take Mati Fernandez’s goal against Peru, where he is one of seven players who find themselves within twenty yards of the goal:

[video=youtube;83x1Jo4lf4g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83x1Jo4lf4g[/video]

Considerations when creating the tactic

The 1st issue that came into my mind was the style of play. The amount of players needs to be thrown to the forward lines meant,in FM terms, to use overload and very fluid.

Tho I am a fan of overload play, with only a few at the back and pressing high in the opposition midfield,meant that counter attacks would be incoming like thunder and playing against Man Utd would be a extremely difficult to win.

Current tactic layout

View attachment 192322View attachment 192323
The positions

Gk - Sweeper on defense duty
Ball playing defender - cover duty Limited defender - Stopper duty
Deep Lying Playmaker - Defend
Defensive winger - support Defensive winger - support
Advanced Playmaker - Attack
Winger - Attack Poacher - Attack Winger- Attack​

For your apreciation, I am making available two games, one is vs Man utd and the other is vs Juventus.

This game was tremendous for Tottenham, they dominated the whole game and made Man Utd look like a very common team. Fluid play and control of the game, slower tho

This one was all about taking more chances and missing more passes but you will notice the amont of players that sometimes help the front line.

I would like your kind help to test the tactic and provide feedback and advise before release. Please PM if you want to help creating another masterpiece. I dont have the time to test it in every single league/team in order to give a full insight.

Thanks in advance.