Darlington FC could cease to exist "before the weekend"

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 5K
I don't think there would be any harm in every PL club chipping in a small amount to help with the small things like, washing the kit, petrol in the team-coach etc.

The 50k should pay the players wages, all of it should go to the players/ staff. I cba to scroll through 3 pages to see if someones already said this and click the heart

sorry moral hazard is financial jargon ... it means that someone keeps taking risks in the hope that if he suffers losses, the central banks will bail him out and I found a similar analogy in the sentence i bolded in your post

Ah, I see. That's the point I was trying to make though.. If every club that got into financial difficulty was bailed out then every club would do it.

Of course there are questions over how fairly money is shared out in football but would that really have stopped something like this happening? Probably not. You buy a £25m stadium with complete disregard to what's actually important, buying and paying players and this is bound to happen.

I wish Darlington all the best but the FA really need to sort out this fit and proper BS.

I don't think there would be any harm in every PL club chipping in a small amount to help with the small things like, washing the kit, petrol in the team-coach etc.

no problem with it except that since PL clubs never took anything from the smaller clubs, the smaller clubs dont really have any right to ask the bigger clubs to chip in... if big clubs do it out of choice and goodwill, then its a different matter entirely although i doubt petrol and kit laundry will really benefit the smaller clubs finances in a significant way

Ah, I see. That's the point I was trying to make though.. If every club that got into financial difficulty was bailed out then every club would do it.

Of course there are questions over how fairly money is shared out in football but would that really have stopped something like this happening? Probably not. You buy a £25m stadium with complete disregard to what's actually important, buying and paying players and this is bound to happen.

I wish Darlington all the best but the FA really need to sort out this fit and proper BS.

I agree, the money-distribution issue will face many obstacles in its path to be implemented and thats why i suspect the FA have not proposed such a idea but as you said, money distribution would not have saved Darlington, in fact i suspect it might have dug a bigger financial hole for them if Reynolds realised he had more money to play around with...

At the end of the day, even if by some miracle a money-distrubtion system is implemented, you still need proper people owning football clubs who you trust will handle this money properly and in the best interests of the club otherwise you might still end up with cases like this despite the money-distribution system

no problem with it except that since PL clubs never took anything from the smaller clubs, the smaller clubs dont really have any right to ask the bigger clubs to chip in... if big clubs do it out of choice and goodwill, then its a different matter entirely although i doubt petrol and kit laundry will really benefit the smaller clubs finances in a significant way

I understand your point however I'd like to think Football is one big community- And in Darlingtons time of need, a small [not talking thousands, maybe £200 to do one weeks worth of laundary?] would be massively appreciated. Also, the money for petrol & kit would go a long way. I know when we was in Administration, we had pretty much £0 to spend, so the small stuff does go a long way.

I understand your point however I'd like to think Football is one big community- And in Darlingtons time of need, a small [not talking thousands, maybe £200 to do one weeks worth of laundary?] would be massively appreciated. Also, the money for petrol & kit would go a long way. I know when we was in Administration, we had pretty much £0 to spend, so the small stuff does go a long way.

I don't think £200 is going to save a club in millions of pounds worth of debt. Especially when you consider that they've already raised £50k and that probably isn't even 1% of what's needed to save the club.

Besides, I think a club like Newcastle donating £200 to Darlington for "Laundry" would be considered a bit of a ****-take.

I don't think £200 is going to save a club in millions of pounds worth of debt. Especially when you consider that they've already raised £50k and that probably isn't even 1% of what's needed to save the club.

Besides, I think a club like Newcastle donating £200 to Darlington for "Laundry" would be considered a bit of a ****-take.

I didn't say it would save them. I said it would help though and certainly wouldn't be considered a "****-take" oO)

I didn't say it would save them. I said it would help though and certainly wouldn't be considered a "****-take" oO)

obviously it would help but it would help as much as if I gave 5 quid to a homeless man, he might eat a meal that day but at the end of the day, he is still homeless

obviously it would help but it would help as much as if I gave 5 quid to a homeless man, he might eat a meal that day but at the end of the day, he is still homeless

... But he gets a meal. The whole Fans Re-United day being planned at Darlington etc isn't about clawing back all those millions of debt, just helping out in the short-term.

The administrators have sacked remaining players and backroom staff to ease costs.

On the plus side-the club is still alive. And IF all parties reach the common ground, and find the finances required, they will immediately be re-employed.

Last edited:
Statement by administrators: If the finances are not presented by around mid-day today, Darlington Football Club will cease to exist :(

George Houghton is to speak to Darlington administrators on Tuesday to discuss a potential takeover bid. Houghton preceeded the club's most recent owner Raj Singh, passing the club on in June 2009. Though he has said he isn't prepared to invest the kind of money that is being asked for.

Balotelli will bail them out!

Really? A football club is about to disappear from the leagues, and that's your response? Seriously grow up, that joke is a week old.

I hope the proposed takeover goes ahead, would be a real shame to see any football club go under, more so one that I grew up watching.

Really? A football club is about to disappear from the leagues, and that's your response? Seriously grow up, that joke is a week old.

I hope the proposed takeover goes ahead, would be a real shame to see any football club go under, more so one that I grew up watching.

Thing is if it went through, how sustainable would it be? Think that should be a cause for concern. I have a feeling that it may fall through unfortunately.

On the plus side, it could always come back. Look what happened to Newport County for example.

Thing is if it went through, how sustainable would it be? Think that should be a cause for concern. I have a feeling that it may fall through unfortunately.

On the plus side, it could always come back. Look what happened to Newport County for example.

A lifeline is helpful, even if it only extends the club's chances by a few days/weeks. They will undoubtedly come back, as almost all do when they fold, but the original club is something they don't want to go away.

A lifeline is helpful, even if it only extends the club's chances by a few days/weeks. They will undoubtedly come back, as almost all do when they fold, but the original club is something they don't want to go away.

Oh without doubt. Like for example in the future if my club Everton went under, then came back....it just wouldn't be the same at all. All the history would be gone, and the fans would just have personal memories and nothing more. It is pretty much ripping the heart out and throwing it away.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for Darlo for tomorrow though. I am trying to stay positive for the club...but it just seems so incredibly bleak. If I'm not mistaken they'd have to register players to the Blue Square tomorrow for the next match-when there isn't any.

Excuse me if I have missed an earlier post, what is the significance of tomorrow? Arn't they falling apart today? The reason I ask is that D'ton is my home down, so despite living many miles away these days it would be sad to see the club go under.

Definitely the move from the 3,500 (ish) stadium to the 20,000 one out of town killed the club though. I remember when the fans were promised "premiership football in five years", and we certainly had the stadium for it, but the team were pretty poor. Debts piled up and it fell on hard times, down the leagues, and it seems, out of existence.

Oh without doubt. Like for example in the future if my club Everton went under, then came back....it just wouldn't be the same at all. All the history would be gone, and the fans would just have personal memories and nothing more. It is pretty much ripping the heart out and throwing it away.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for Darlo for tomorrow though. I am trying to stay positive for the club...but it just seems so incredibly bleak. If I'm not mistaken they'd have to register players to the Blue Square tomorrow for the next match-when there isn't any.

I best dust my boots off then...I played for the u18 squad when I was at college, and also played for the town's cricket team :D

Back