Darren Ferguson - Stepping Out Of Sir Alex's Shadow

Olly_11

Reaction score
It's fair to say I've had a turbulent life as a manager so far.

I've worked under Barry Fry and Darragh McAnthony, two of the most colourful people you will ever meet. I took a team with a 'little club' mentality from the wilderness of League Two to the Championship in just 3 seasons. I was accused of betraying Peterborough United by agreeing to take a job whilst I was still under contract there - these allegations weere completely false, and this coupled with Peterborough's unwillingness to trust me in the transfer market by bringing in more experienced players led to me leaving the club. I was then approached by two Championship clubs; Sheffield Wednesday and Preston North End. I took the Preston job with the Lancashire side lying in 17th place, and I was confident that we could sneak into the play offs. The job was a lot more difficult than I had imagined. I had to deal with a player revolt, fans refusing to back me as they called for sacked manager Alan Irvine to be reinstated, scraping survival with just 3 games to go, a transfer embargo and the club almost entering administration. Things haven't been good off the field either. I was charged with assault of my former wife, Nadine Metcalfe before marrying my current wife Nicola in 2009. It's been hectic to say the least. But the thing that will always follow me is the comparison between myself and my father, Sir Alex Ferguson. Everyone in football calls for me to be my own man, but whenever my name is mentioned, my father is too, so what can I do? I feel for Nigel Clough at Derby who is in a similar situation. I would love to emulate my father's achievements, and whilst that seems a long way away, I am only 38 and have got plenty of time. But first, I have to turn things around here. Expectation has risen here as fierce local rivals Blackpool and Burnley have recently won promotion to the Premier League. Preston is a big club surrounded by even bigger clubs so it's difficult to get the sort of fanbase you want when the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City are so close by. It's my aim to get Preston to where they belong, in the Premier League.

darren-ferguson_1554553c.jpg

July 7th.

So, the start of my first full season as Preston manager, and the pressure is on. I've sat down and spoken to the new chairman, Maurice Lindsay, and he's a very dedicated and ambitious man, but his job is to primarily sort the finances of the club out, so there may be a few more exits to come. From the meeting I told him I expect us to finish in the top half of the table as this year will be a 'transitional period'. As a result, Maurice has given me £1.2m to spend on transfers and £93,000 a week for wages, of which over £80,000 is already accounted for. At the back end of the season, I transfer listed 8 players. 6 of those have moved on but Richard Chaplow and Neal Trotman still remain at the club, so it's gonna be a push now to get them to new clubs so we can bring more bodies in. After this meeting I met up with my assistant, Kevin Russell. Kev highlighted the need for a new Left Back as Callum Davidson is now entering the end of his career and is notably injury prone and we have no backup, so I agreed with his assessment. I have spoken to my father about the possibility of signing Richie De Laet on loan for the season but I'm not sure how much further that will go. He has already loaned me Matthew James and Joshua King for the season, which is another great gesture following the loan deal for Danny Welbeck last season. Kevin also noted that a key player for us this season will be Keith Treacy. Keith is a superb player and by no means the finished article, but we're hoping he can prove to be an adequete replacement for Ross Wallace. We are going to have to fight tooth and nail to keep hold of star players like Sean St. Ledger and Andy Lonergan, with much bigger teams circling those two, acknowledging our financial predicament. The hard work starts now though with the players back for pre season, and our first game against Exeter City being in two weeks time. I hope to have a couple more players in by then, money permitting.

ritchie-delaet_2337767.jpg

De Laet - Deepdale bound?