Darren Stride- The story of a brewers legend.

brooksey84

Reaction score
Darren Stride

View attachment 283125

Born: 28th September 1975
Place of birth: Burton upon Trent (England)
Senior Career: Burton Albion Apps 654 (Goals 124)
1993-2010
Alfreton Town Apps 16 (Goals 0) 2010-2011
Chasetown Apps (Goals 1) 2011-2012

Honours
Burton Albion
Northern Premier League- 2002
Conference National- 2009

Alfreton Town
Conference North- 2011

A brief history of the man, the legend- Stride progressed from the youth team to the first team and captained the brewers from their amateur status to their full blown professionalism. He is the record appearance holder for the club and has played in every positions mostly as a central defender but other roles such as a centre forward and even a goal keeper in emergencies. At the end of the 09-10 season he was released from his beloved club and joined Alfterton Town and subsequently Stride then signed for Chasetown.

So the journey begins Stride has being given semi professional footballer experience and no coaching
qualifications.

*A note from the author this is my first story ever so please bare with me & this is the first time i have every managed below League 2 after winning the champions league with Burton Albion & also the league with Derby in separate saves. I hope you all enjoy this story as i enjoy playing it*

The big conversation....

So here we go the start of a long journey to managerial greatness. Having being pondering my next move after leaving Chasetown football club doing various different jobs I came to the conclusion that football was still where my heart lay and i missed the game day buzz and the banter with the lads.
Having had a few meals with my good friend Ben Robinson the Chairman of Burton Albion i came to understand that Gary Rowett (Manager) was looking to move on if the right club came in for him one preferably in the Championship as the Brewers had a genuine ambition of promotion to League one and Ben Robinson wouldn't authorise his release from his contract. With Ben and myself slightly worse after a couple bottles of red and a larger or two we joked around as to who could replace Gary Rowett with getting Fergie out of retirement,
Mourinho wouldn't fancy the move to the giant of world football that is Burton Albion & 'Arry Redknapp but his dogs are far to settled down south.

Fast forward an hour or so later and a few more drinks later we embark on a conversation.....

DS: Ben I want you to take me seriously right now, very seriously, more serious than you have ever taken me? You can do that can't you?

BR: What do you want Stridey?

DS: I'm going to be honest Ben you have known me for a long time and you are an incredibly good friend to me. I would like to throw my name into the hat if Gary gets an offer than you are forced to accept.

BR: (Ben sits up and composes himself for a moment.) Darren....

DS:(Hes called me Darren he never calls me Darren he must be taking this seriously.)

BR:.....You are a legend of our club, we would not be where we are today as a fully professional stable club pushing for league one without you. You lead the team brilliantly over a number of years and will always be loved by the fans and by me as a fan and as a friend. But i can't take you seriously since you have retired from football you had more jobs than i have had hot dinners and i know how you don't know what you want to do!

DS: I understand what you have said, but I am a leader of men you know that and i would get results. I might not have the qualifications and experience that other people might have. But i'd f*****g give it my all like I have always done. I was never the most gifted player but i adapted and worked my nuts off.

BR: I know that I can see the potential with it but you need to go and get some experience & work on your qualifications. I can not take a risk on someone with no experience we have a high expectation as a club and promotion is a must for us this season seen as we have had near misses on the past 2 seasons.

DS: Ben I hope you don't take offence to this but I am going to show you!

BR: Thats the Stridey I love the man who loves a challenge leave it with me and ill see if i can get your foot in the door somewhere.

DS: I appreciate it lets order a couple of brandies on me.....

The next afternoon I woke up to my phone vibrating a number i didn't recognise I picked it up reluctantly.

Unknown caller: Hello is this Darren Stride?

DS: Yes it is, can i ask who i am speaking to?

HB:I am Harold Brassington chairman of Rocester Football Club we have a mutual friend in Ben Robinson and he has recommended me your services to help solve our current problem.

DS: I know Rocester driven past it a few times on the way to Alton Towers.

HB: Yes thats it, we as a club understand you have no experience as a manager and no qualifications and are willing to help you out.

DS: (In my still drunken state) Where & when do you want me to sign up?

HB: I can pop by later today to agree a contract with you and have you start tomorrow evening with the lads.

DS: Thats great for me ill text you the address after i get off the phone to you. I look forward to meeting you Harold. When we meet i would also like to discuss a few things about the club.

HB: Thats not a problem, I look forward to meeting you to. Anyway must dash I will be in contact with a time I will be over.

Wow what a turn of events I didn't expect this to happen so soon. I know Ben was a great friend and a fantastic chairman but he has really gone above and beyond the call of duty today. I best text Harold and jump in the shower!

Harold arrived a couple of hours later and we sat down to discuss many things. We agreed a contract of £575 per week through till 30th June 2015. We set no philosophies for the club & we agreed on a top half finish as a realistic aim for the club to achieve this season. We would also hold a press conference in the next few days to announce the appointment hopefully it would cause a little bit of a stir. My impression of a Harold is he is a fair man who loves his club.

He gave me my assistant managers number Robbie Belford is a young man 31 years of age in fact he was only on a part time contract of £50 per week. We spoke over the phone agreeing a intra squad friendly would be a great idea, and a meeting pre training with the rest of the staff would be a good idea to introduce my expectations to them, also fortnightly reports from the staff would be required. I look forward to meeting him and developing a good working relationship with him potentially!

After the phone conversation Harold asked if i had any more questions and due to my sore head I had none he excuses himself and left as i closed the door i couldn't believe what had just happened I was now a full time football manager earning more than I had since I had retired!

I called and left Ben Robinson a voicemail to say thank you and the next time we go out it is on me.

Up next the start of the Rocester revolution.......

Rocester Football Club
A brief overview of the club.

View attachment 283108

View attachment 283106

View attachment 283105

So its official I am the manager of Rocester & here are my stats and my preferred formation.

View attachment 283102View attachment 283101

Next up we meet the squad i have a slight thought in my head of what the **** have i done we have no money, no ability to keep our best players, and our chairman has already said he doesn't want us having a parent club even after i practically begged him for it for the financial gains & player gains.

*Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and i hope you enjoy the story. I am playing this game as i write this will probably do a whole pre season update then every couple of months till the end of the season.*​

Meet the players.

So here is the squad I have to work with.....Squad overview/ depth

View attachment 283096View attachment 283092

Tom Land

View attachment 283091

Jon Hassall

View attachment 283093

Courtney Shaw

View attachment 283094

My overview of the squad and transfer targets.
GK- Should be safe Karl Tracey is a more than able back up keeper who is greyed out with Richard Froggatt the starter.

RB- Tom Land best player in the club according to my assistant.

CB- Tom Land with Sam Wain 1 and a half stars behind we need some cover/depth here.

LB- Jon Hassall Player/Coach and 3 others who can provide support down the left side.

DM- Tumble weed.

MC- Tumble weed X2 How can a football club have no central midfielders?

AML- More than covered here with Courtney Shaw, Ashley Sheridan

AMR- More than covered here as well with Colby, Courtney & Aaron

ST- Should be ok but does Paul McMahon have enough goals in him we will have to wait and see.

Priority list
1- 2-3 CM's
2- 1 DM
3- 2 CB
4- Anyone who will come who is decent enough to play!

This is going to be tough!

Squad meeting went well with all the players morale increasing which is what we wanted as we have a busy pre season schedule getting as many games in as possible to help boost the finances. They all seemed happy with my appointment and look forward to working under me.

If someone could tell me how to remove the attached thumbnail i would appreciate it. Hope you have all enjoyed this so far got a few players being scouted currently so hoping to bring some good transfer news soon! Next update will be the end of preseason.