dickdastardly

Reaction score
This version of a 4-2-2-2 is attacking focused, but defensively it is solid as well. I'm scoring goals at a great clip while also playing good defense. Let's get straight to it.

View attachment 460885

Strikers
I am using a Poacher and a False 9 currently, but don't be afraid to experiment. Rooney and Wellbeck are both doing very well in this role, playing direct passes to my poachers from the midfield. This is a pivotal role and speed is important here if you want them to join the attack. Because I am playing with direct passing, a good first touch is very important so they can make that quick pass up the field leading to the goal. As far as Poachers, I like speed, finishing and first touch. I want them to get that ball and go.

Wings
This is where you really have the most flexibility in my tactic. Find what works best for the players you have. I like my wings to pass it short and shoot less as I do not have great finishing. They are free to roam from position and since I am using a fluid attack, they will take their chances when presented. In this tactic, they serve as outlet's for my CM's and cross it into the box, leading to chances for my strikers. I have gone with 2 IF's on my Man City save and this worked well, with the wingers scoring slightly more often, but also getting a bit more tired over the season.

CM's
This is really the meat and potatoes. Carrick is a very good DLP in the game. Though he will not rack up the high assist totals, he is the man who sets up the assist on most plays. You want to make sure that you have a DLP that you can trust to make good decisions and great passes. I cannot stress enough how a bad DLP will mess up your game plan. As for the second midfielder, you will want to play a BBM or BWM and let them sit back and defend. I allow Fellaini to play direct passes (usually these go to my F9 or wingers cutting in). If you do not have a decent passer at the position, I recommend swapping him to short and the DLP as direct. The reason I prefer short passing on my DLP is because they get the ball more often and if they play more direct passes, they will turn it over more.

Defense
I play with CWB's mainly to help my attack. I play my defense deep, which has helped me cover the counters very well. If you find that you are giving up too many goals, go with just standard WB's or even FB's. Speed here is important as well. If you want to use the CWB, you need to make sure they can get back quickly to defend. For the DC's, I always like having one man cover the back while the other plays the ball. The Cover man is pretty much a safety net.

Team Instructions
One of the big surprises I have had with this tactic is how great my teams have tackled. Consistently I am leading the league in tackles per game. I like to hassle my opponents and get stuck in on defense. It really doesn't allow your opponents much space to pass in and your CM's and defenders will really go after the ball.

Here are my results so far. Keep in mind, it is earlier in my current season than I planned to release this, but have been excited with the results and want to get it out so people can also recommend ways to make it even better.

View attachment 460884View attachment 460883View attachment 460882

Training
I set my training to tactics only at the start of the preseason. In the preseason, I set this to high. Once the season begins, I set it to normal. If you find your players are getting tired, set to fitness.

Last but not least, here is the tactic.
View attachment 460881

Please let me know your thoughts. Enjoy

Last edited:
The first thing that strikes me is that it seem that strikers score for you and that ratings are alright on you're players.

I have to say that i struggle with this, and i am very excited to follow you're progression.

Welcome to Fm-Base m8 :)

Next save i will take you're tactic and test over the weekend!

The big surprise for me has been the consistency in play even with Rooney missing most of my season so far. Wellbeck with 9 goals in 11 games to go with 4 assists is more than I would have expected.

please post some screens of league table m8 ;).

Dickdastardly those results are from current version (14.1.3)?

looks interesting, i'd be tempted to use this...

Do you have any screenshots of a full season with any top team yet? Including your success in cups and player stats.

looks interesting, i'd be tempted to use this...

Do you have any screenshots of a full season with any top team yet? Including your success in cups and player stats.

Sorry, I just saw the comment now. I actually have yet to play a full season, just hale seasons as I have been playing around to see what works best in terms of the tactic with new teams