David De Gea or Wojciech Szczesny?

Alcaraz

Reaction score
73379.jpg
79554.jpg

Some of you may recall that I did something similar to this with my Juan Mata or David Silva Thread. Again I aim to compare two younsgters who seem to be very close to each other in terms of skill, ability and potential.

No one would deny that both Szczesny and De Gea are two extremely talented keepers who can push on and become stalwarts for their respective clubs. Both have enorous potential and could very well be among the best Goalkeepers in the world one day.

De Gea had a difficult start to life in England. This was not helped by the constant pressure applied to him by media, SAF's poor record with Goalkeepers, language barrier and a another talented young gun in Lindegaard breathing down his neck. However he managed to recover superby, putting in a number of key performances towards the end of the season. Next season he is expected to kick on and perform even better

Wojciech Szczesny has become a regular between the sticks after turning in a solid debut performance agains Manchester United 2 seasons ago. He too had a difficult start to the season especially after letting in 8 at the infamous 8-2 thrashing at Old Trafford. However he has also managed to recover well and was solid as Arsenal put in good performances towards the end of the season to finish 3rd

So which of them would you have in the Team if Money was no object?

Personally speaking I am on the fence for this one. Have not monitered either of them closely enough to make a decision. Still interested in what others feel​

For me it has to be Wojo...de Gea can save you're team but he can ruin it too. Szczesny seemed more consistent, at least this season.

De Gea for me i think he will become one of the best goalies in the world in later years and also SAF always has an eye for a good goalkeeper so i would pick De gea.

Both are quality and have the potential to be best in the world one day.De Gea showed how good he can be during the end of season for United whereas Szczesny was not great during the end of season. De gea was horrible at the start of the season and was struggling badly whereas Szczesny was great at start of season except tht 8-2 thrashing.De Gea gets my vote judging by how he adapted which shows the lads character to be the best.

I don't understand why do people always rave on Szczesny and thinks that he is way better than De Gea. Statistically, he is one of the worst in the PL, with the second lowest save success rate in the league. I get that De Gea had a few bad games at the start of this season, but Szczesny had a few disastrous games as well.

And I'm not talking out of my as.s.
Player Focus: Save Success Rate

I guess it's because people are comparing the keepers to their predecessors, which heavily favours Szczesny as he was compared to the likes of Almunia or Flappyhandski while De Gea was being compared to Van Der Sar.

Last edited:
Equal. Too early to say, really. We'll see who kicks on. Perhaps Wojo edges it.

Equal. Too early to say, really. We'll see who kicks on. Perhaps Wojo edges it.

No stats here. Not interested.

Also, woke up at 7:30am. I totally suck at sleeping.

I will say that Wojo needs to improve his decision-making while coming out. However, it's probably fair to say he's exposed to one-on-one situations more often due to Arsenal's high line and less than perfect defensive record, so it might even out a tad.

No stats here. Not interested.

Also, woke up at 7:30am. I totally suck at sleeping.

Number of hours you slept: under 5. Stat! Goalkeeping isn't entirely conductive to stats, so meh.

Also, I woke up at 12 and I'm now quite tired and can't be bothered to do anything apart from drink coke and play Minecraft.

I watched Szczesny's dad , who was keeper for national team, for many years, and its like Wojo took both the best and the wrost of him.

Able to make world class saves at any given time, but not that good at getting around the penalty area. And overall erratic , pulling way too many crazy stunts , making defence shaky.

De Gea, apart from a really shaky start to the season, he has improved greatly and I think he will be one of the best in the future.

Number of hours you slept: under 5. Stat! Goalkeeping isn't entirely conductive to stats, so meh.

Also, I woke up at 12 and I'm now quite tired and can't be bothered to do anything apart from drink coke and play Minecraft.

And they say students these days are lazy... (tbf 12 is an early start for me, I woke up about half and hour ago)

OP: De Gea did well to bounce back over his slightly shaky start, and was very consistent all season afterwards. WS can produce wonderful saves but also makes mistakes. Not very much difference at all and We've only seen the in the same league for 1 season. But for now I'll go with Szczesny.

Last edited:
Did I read GC playes Minecraft....fail XD

De Gea, he had tough start but once he settled he was just superb. Some of his saves were just amazing. Also his distribution is top class.

Since we payed 18 Million, his mistakes were magnified by the media, almost all GKs did as many mistakes but media played the game very well.

Also Ches is very very good young keeper, but given the choice I would take De Gea.

De gea is more mistake prone but szczesny is poor and I've never rated him.
I would go with De Gea

De Gea for me i think he will become one of the best goalies in the world in later years and also SAF always has an eye for a good goalkeeper so i would pick De gea.

Taibi and Carroll to name a few and getting rid of Howard and Foster. I'd say his/his staffs judgement on keepers has been average.

Same as Godcubed, both equal for me.

Taibi and Carroll to name a few and getting rid of Howard and Foster. I'd say his/his staffs judgement on keepers has been average.

Same as Godcubed, both equal for me.

Give you taibi and Carroll, but not howard and foster, both made a good amount of errors, couldnt really handle the pressure at United. Solid, but not top class.