David De Gea or Wojciech Szczesny?

Szczesny was taking injections towards the end of the season to heal a shoulder injury. That's why he let in easy goals like the ones against Norwich. Plus, his defence was hit by a lot of injuries last season so he gets my vote.

i would go with de gea was shakey at start but was consistent and kept united in games last season, szczseny looks decent but i think will be prone to more mistakes, injury or not was poor in euro match aswell!

Szczesny edges it out for me, as he's a better all round keeper but De Gea shows massive potential just needs to mature in goal and learn the english game, NEEDS TO START TO COMMAND HIS BOX

Szczesny, but i still think its too early to call out the winner.

I think Szczesny edges it for me at the moment but I think De Gea has a higher ceiling. Will be interesting to revisit this thread after next season...

So both have made mistakes and both have huge potential. For me its gotta be De Gea, I know I maybe biased but everytime I watch Szczesny come out for a ball I feel he is gonna do something stupid, for me his opening group game howler at the Euros is not the first time he's stuffed it or almost stuffed it coming to claim or close down the ball. De Gea for me makes mistakes out of nervousness, Szczensy does it because he is blindly confident coming out of his area, nervousness for De Gea has shown to be on the decline whilst im not sure how long it will take Szczesny

I'm an Arsenal fan but I have to say De Gea, Szczesny is consistent and does the job as a standard keeper but we need someone who can save the extra couple of shots on a regular basis. He's had good moments like the liverpool double save and the udinese penalty save but de gea has just been a bit more unpredictable.

To be fair Szczesny was instrumental in the early season to saving a few losses in games. He's good at one-on-ones and reflex stops, and he absolutely dominates in the air which is something Arsenal need due to the suceptibility to set pieces, plus he's pretty good at penalties. Only towards the end of the season when he was playing whilst injured did his form drop, perhaps he was taking more risks to make up for this. As Jono says though, his confidence can be a problem, and he needs a serious challenger for his position to really step it up and improve his reading of the game. DDG is playing with players used to playing with top keepers (and coaches), and I expect him to really get into his stride over the next couple of seasons and start bossing his area.

So both have made mistakes and both have huge potential. For me its gotta be De Gea, I know I maybe biased but everytime I watch Szczesny come out for a ball I feel he is gonna do something stupid, for me his opening group game howler at the Euros is not the first time he's stuffed it or almost stuffed it coming to claim or close down the ball. De Gea for me makes mistakes out of nervousness, Szczensy does it because he is blindly confident coming out of his area, nervousness for De Gea has shown to be on the decline whilst im not sure how long it will take Szczesny

Szczesny needs someone who can realistically challenge him for the Keeper spot. This will push him to another level. Right now he the undisputed No. 1 which can be pretty detrimental to his development especially when he definitely has a higher ceiling and is so young

As we saw with De Gea, having competition from Lindegaard forced him to work even harder to adapt quickly because he knew there was a young, hungry keeper right behind him just waiting to get his chance. He knew he could not afford to make mistakes and stay on and that showed in his performances in the second half of the season

Szczesny needs someone who can realistically challenge him for the Keeper spot. This will push him to another level. Right now he the undisputed No. 1 which can be pretty detrimental to his development especially when he definitely has a higher ceiling and is so young

As we saw with De Gea, having competition from Lindegaard forced him to work even harder to adapt quickly because he knew there was a young, hungry keeper right behind him just waiting to get his chance. He knew he could not afford to make mistakes and stay on and that showed in his performances in the second half of the season

Lindegaard is much older than De Gea, he's 27. What made Lindegaard look better was simply his experience.

De Gea for me i think he will become one of the best goalies in the world in later years and also SAF always has an eye for a good goalkeeper so i would pick De gea.

LOL'D!!!

Bosnich, Barthez, Taibi, van der Gouw, Goram, Carroll

still loling

he's basically had two good keepers in 25 years....

LOL'D!!!

Bosnich, Barthez, Taibi, van der Gouw, Goram, Carroll

still loling

he's basically had two good keepers in 25 years....

Barthez and Bosnich were both good, although eccentric.

Howard and Foster were good, but couldnt really handle the pressure at United.

It would be more accurate to say he's only had two top of the line keepers in 20 years, though you could still make a case for Barthez

Last edited:
It's De Gea. People seem to forget he did well with Athletico, helping them win the Europa League and Super Cup against Inter. He's had to move to a new country, learn a new language & adapt to a faster paced league; whilst under constant pressure from our evil media.

Chesney on the other hand has been here since 2006, he's as confident as they come and has never been put under the amount of pressure De Gea has; even after the Carling Cup final error most of the blame was put on Kos. He's got a lot of potential & I do like him but he's just not as good as De Gea.

Opta stats for last season here, 0 points for the Pole.

De Gea is the much better keeper, it's no contest..the only thing they both have in common is that they're both young...