Davide Santon signs for the TOON

went off the boil in the last year or so, was great when he was just starting

How much playing time was he getting at inter?

Surprised he is leaving to be honest

Very good buy indeed. Should be a real solid solution for their fullback situation after Enrique left. Really surprised Inter led him go tbh.

How much playing time was he getting at arsenal?

Surprised he is leaving to be honest

........none?

Good singing, hopefully he can rediscover what made him a fantastic prospect. Quite pleased overall with our transfer activity this window, need a striker still...

........none?

Good singing, hopefully he can rediscover what made him a fantastic prospect. Quite pleased overall with our transfer activity this window, need a striker still...

Thought I'd heard him somewhere ;)

Good signing for Newcastle though if all goes well

I main concern is that he is a right footed left back, although he does have the potential to be a good player, and for 5m, is not a bad bit of buisiness, will be intrested to see how he gets on with the likes of Young, Jarvis and Lennon etc etc.

Obviously Inter don't see him as the new Maldini. Very unfair comparison tbh, puts way too much pressure on him.

Last edited:
Maiga and Macheda to come as well...

He had a 'decent' season last year when he was on loan at Cesena, don't worry about a right footer left back it's never much of an issue.

It helps him go in for tackles on inside wingers which is a big plus considering half the Prem play with inside wingers.

Great signing for us IMO, but I doubt he'll be here come this time next season.

He had a 'decent' season last year when he was on loan at Cesena, don't worry about a right footer left back it's never much of an issue.

It helps him go in for tackles on inside wingers which is a big plus considering half the Prem play with inside wingers.

That means the other half plays with outside wingers thus not being a plus or a negative, non? Or am I getting too literal again :p

Good point.

I've seen Davide play and he is agile in his tackle, I mean I don't think it will be too much of an issue because of his talent.

Wouldn't read too much into Inter selling him either they normally sell all of their youngsters when they reach 20 and aren't starters. Biabiany was sold and now Santon, just the way they operate.

I reckon he's a good signing for us to be honest , he can play on either side too, lets face it we have no recognised left back in the squad. I think he'll fit in just fine and hopefully a move to a new club will kick start his career again

I agree mate, I know he as the pace which will suit the league, I just hope settles in well!? all we need now is a proven goal scorer now, and have a season to look forward too!??

........none?

You don't need a striker, you've got Niall Ranger!!!

Great signing by Newcastle though, they've made some brilliant signings this summer. well jel.

I remember quite fondly his performance for Milan against United 2-3 years ago. He was up against C.Ronaldo and had him in his back pocket all game, he kept up with Ronaldo's pace, is strong in the air, has 2 very good feet and is brilliant going forward. For 5m, this is a fantastic signing for Newcastle.

Although as others have said, his development has stalled the past year or so. Hopefully he can fill his potential.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

You don't need a striker, you've got Niall Ranger!!!

Great signing by Newcastle though, they've made some brilliant signings this summer. well jel.

Apparently Ranger is going to Blackpool.. but that doesn't matter, they have Sammy Ameobi! Yes, Sammy!

Not bad, I reckon. Better news is that Erik Pieters stays at PSV, yay!

TBF he is not a LB. He is a RB. Played few games as LB for Inter as they had Maicon who was the best RB for few years. Then he was loaned out.

I would like to see him play as RB which is his natural position.

Good point.

I've seen Davide play and he is agile in his tackle, I mean I don't think it will be too much of an issue because of his talent.

Wouldn't read too much into Inter selling him either they normally sell all of their youngsters when they reach 20 and aren't starters. Biabiany was sold and now Santon, just the way they operate.
Yeah, Barca operate similarly as well - they give their youngsters a chance but if they don't fulfill their potential by 20/21 then they sell them on (e.g. Marc Crosas, not sure if any of you have heard of him).

It doesn't mean they're terrible, it just means they aren't wanted by Inter (a huge club, mind) anymore because they have another good player who plays there or they just don't think they need the player anymore.

A top signing for Newcastle, only 21 (?) and for £5m, it is an absolute bargain. It's a shame he hasn't done well in the last couple of years, but I think signing for Newcastle and [probably] being first team should help him find his form again and maybe in a few years we'll be seeing the next Dani Alves. Not only is this a good signing for Newcastle in terms of a new, young (yet experienced) and quality player, it is also good on a business level - Santon has massive potential, and Newcastle could potentially make a lot of profit from selling him.

Is Mike Ashley still Toon owner, because if he is then he's getting more and more generous (Cabaye, Santon, Ba, etc.) in recent years). I would've thought he would have kept basically all the Carroll money, but instead he's invested it in some new players (who are very good, by the way)!