Dazz19

Reaction score
View attachment 62186

VV G.O.E.S
Voetbalvereniging Gezamenlijk Opwaarts Eendrachtig Sterk

Goes, pronounced Hoos, is a small coastal town with a population of around 30,000 in the province of Zeeland in the Southern Netherlands. It's not a town with any remarkable history, nor does it stand out in the modern day. It's a pleasant town though, with a range of shops, a harbour and good transport links to the rest of the country.

VV Goes as a club have an equally unremarkable history with a completely empty trophy cabinet. The club itself is completely amateur but has a passionate, if somewhat small, fan base. It currently plies its trade in the Hoofdklasse Zondag B, the fifth tier of Dutch football and plays its games at the small, but welcoming, Sportpark Het Schenge.

So, how did I end up here? Well, I was in a relationship with a Dutch girl. Her family lived in a town a few miles away and we decided to relocate to the Netherlands once she had finished university in England. Unfortunately the relationship broke down, but I'd fallen in love with the Netherlands, and in particular Zeeland, so as we had ended on good terms I decided to stay. I'd passed my coaching badges before we moved so I thought I'd see if there were any positions available and as luck would have it VV Goes were looking. They weren't sure about hiring an Englishman, but my Dutch was good enough and they liked the ideas I threw around so decided to take me on for a season to see how it would go.

My aim for the club? Eredivisie obviously! That was a long, long term goal. My short term was stability, followed by getting the club to the Tweede Divisie and turning pro in the next five years. Two promotions in five season seemed to be a reasonable aim and hopefully it would be perfectly achievable.

Last edited:
Records:

League Record:
17/18 -

Trophy cabinet:

Record victory:
3-1 Vs BVC -12

Record defeat:
2-1 Vs Meerssen

Record signing:
N/A

Record transfer received:
N/A​

Last edited:
Building the squad and pre-season: part one

One of the downsides of taking over an amateur side is the lack of staff, both on and off field. To say what I had to work with was threadbare would be an understatement. The backroom staff consisted of myself, the chairman and one coach so the first order of the day was to establish a minimal backroom team. I thought hiring a scout, a physio and an assistant manager would suffice to begin with. We're only an amateur outfit so realistically that's all I needed, someone to have a look at the next opposition, someone to keep the guys fit and healthy and someone to do the jobs I didn't feel like doing.

In all honesty, the backroom staff were the least of my worries, the squad itself was almost non existent. I wasn't expecting two or three quality players in each position, I was fully prepared to be lacing in a few positions, but it turns out after last season a lot of the former squad had moved on or just decided they didn't want to play anymore. As a result I ended up with a goalkeeper, two centre backs, a right back and a guy who was happy as a winger or a forward. Great if we were playing five a side, not so good for a full season of eleven a side.

Within a couple of days myself and the chairman had organised an open trials day. We thought it would be a good idea to try and encourage some of the local talent to come and try out for the team. We weren't expecting great things and were prepared for it to be mostly youngsters. The day turned out to be a success and by the end of it we had decided to offer six contracts. A goalkeeper, a left back, another centre back, left and right sided midfielder and a striker. After offering the contracts I had a chat with the chairman about his expectations for the season. Fortunately he wasn't expecting much, his only request was that we don't get relegated. That was fine by me, I didn't want the first entry on my managerial CV to be a relegation.

One of the perks, or so I thought, of having no players, was that I could pick the players I wanted to fit the formation I wanted to play. It turns out that wasn't the case, there were so few guys willing to play for us that I had to take on anyone who was willing. I have absolutely no idea what tactic I'll be using and probably won't do right up to kick off of the game.

Still, I like a challenge.​

Last edited:
Building the squad and pre-season: part two

So here we are, the day before the season kicks off. Are we ready? I honestly don't know.

We'd gone through pre-season undefeated picking up wins in four of our five friendlies and snatching a late draw in the fifth, but despite this I was still concerned. We hadn't really played anyone of the standard we would be facing week in, week out and were tipped by most to be in a relegation battle. I knew when I signed up that the challenge was to stay in the league, but now as things were getting serious I was starting to worry. Over a 30 game season and with three relegation spots up for grabs, would this team of local lads with an average age of just of just 21 have what it takes to scrap and fight through out the season and keep our heads above water? Or would their inexperience cost us?

This is the squad I'd managed to assemble as the season kick off approach:

Goalkeepers:
View attachment 62101

The choice here clearly fell between youth and experience. Do I go for Schuffelen who can offer a calm head or do I go with Meulmeester and hope he can develop and learn quickly?

Defence:
View attachment 62097
The centre of defence picks itself, mostly because Holtkamp and Tawfik are the only two fit centre backs I have. Left back was most likely going to be Rosmalen, but Feskens performance in the last friendly had given me food for thought, while Seuntjens looked the most likely starter at right back.

Midfield:
View attachment 62096
Again, due to lack of options, midfield picked itself. Scholten and de Punder would be in the middle, van der Sman on the left and then the only decision I would need to make would be Aladiaoui or Vossebelt on the right.

Forwards:
View attachment 62095
The easiest decision for the whole side. Both would be playing.

I'd hoped that I would have a had a reasonable sized squad by now and I could be a bit flexible when it came to formations and starting XI's but unfortunately for me, Goes's location was turning out to be a major stumbling block. Being stuck down in Zeeland meant we were a bit isolated from the rest of the country. We only really had one rival in the area, VC Vlissingen, and they were a much better prospect than ourselves. Our lack of reputation in Dutch football wasn't helping either as a number of potential signings rejected us based on the belief that we wouldn't be able to match their ambitions.

And so, we headed into the new season with a squad of just 18 players, not much expectation and a lot of hope. My quest to become De Koningen van Nederland was about to begin.

Last edited:
August 2017

And so, on a glorious August afternoon, I took my first steps into football management. No-one knew what to expect and to be honest, no-one was taking any notice of the pre-season predictions from the local press or Hoofdklasse website. After all, how can you possibly predict amateur football? Unlike the professionals, almost all the players are complete unknowns ant there are no transfer restrictions. This was going to be a lottery and I would consider staying in the league a victory.

vv Goes 2-1 Woezit
(HT 2-1)
The fixture list had been kind to us and given us a home game first up. Woezit were the visitors and like most of the teams in the league, I knew very little about them. I'd told the guys to go out and have some fun and as long as they put the effort in I would be happy. The team talk worked as it took just four minutes for Van der Sman to head us into the lead from inside the six yard box. I couldn't have asked for a better start. twenty minutes later and I was in dream land. An almost carbon copy move lead to Esajas firing a header past the keeper. Woezit pulled one back before half time, but I was still a happy manager. We controlled the second half and never looked in danger of conceding again, although we didn't look like scoring either. The result was dulled slightly by the sight of Van der Sman hobbling off, but over all I couldn't complain.

Looking to take advantage of the result, we set up another trial day. The turn out was similar to the first but there were a few guys from a bit further a field this time. It was a success again as five new signings joined the club. Oli van der Horst and Sergio Nijhuis joined the striking ranks, whilst Walter Beerens, Beaissa Roeleveld and Sebastiaan Hoffman added weight to the midfield. I was hoping to sign a defender or two as we were still looking a bit light, but for now, I'd have to make do.

The draw for KNVB Beker, the Dutch FA cup, was pretty kind to us. A home tie against vs DUNO, a team in the league below us.

vv Goes 2-1 Oss 1920
(HT 1-0)
Could we capitalise on our opening day victory? Or was it just beginners luck? The answer to both questions turned out to be, yes. Oss 1920 completely out played us for the first half, highlighting on numerous occasions the inexperience and lack of cohesion you'd expect to see from a side made up predominately of guys no older than 22 who have only been playing together for a couple of weeks. That being said, we took the lead mid way through the first half after Aroma volleyed home from the penalty spot. Oss had equalised on the hour mark and we were being played off the park, but then came the big turning point. Oss were awarded a penalty, we somehow avoided a red card and then Muelmeester flung himself to his left and tipped the ball round the post. That save gave the whole team a boost and it looked like we would hang on for the draw, but lady luck hadn't finished with us as in the 85th an innocuous backpass hit a divot, ballooned over the keepers foot and trickled into the net, giving us a completely unexpected and probably undeserved victory.

BVC '12 1-3 vv Goes
(HT 1-0)
Our fairy tale start to the season looked to be over here. BVC took the lead after 15 minutes and we didn't look like we were going to find a way back into the game at all. The players were getting frustrated, making silly mistakes and picking up bookings. I managed to calm them down at half time and remind them to have some fun and go out and enjoy themselves and boy did they do just that. On 54 minutes Nijhuis, making his first start since signing for us, broke clear of the defence and beat the keeper at his near post. Roeleveld, not wanting to be out done, slammed in his first from the edge of the area, before Aroma
rounded things off from the penalty spot.

I couldn't believe it. Three games in and we were top and the prod owners of the only remaining 100% record in the Hoofdklasse D! I knew it wouldn't last but I didn't care.

sv Meerssen 2-1 vv Goes
(HT 1-1)
Our first loss. I can't complain too much. We started slowly, going behind after just three minutes and despite Beerens levelling things up mid way through the first half, we never really looked like getting anything from the game. The second half started the same as the first, with us conceding within two minutes of the restart and that was that. We didn't cause them any problems and they were happy to sit back and take the three points.

I was pretty happy by the end of the month. My aim had been four points for the month, so we'd more than doubled that and we were second in the league. On top of that, the fans were loving that our local rivals, Vlissingen were making an awful start, sitting bottom with just one point.

View attachment 61934

Last edited:
September 2017

After the high that was August, we were all prepared for a slump in September. As a reward for how well they'd begun the season, we took the whole team off to see Ajax play. We'd recently struck up a deal that we would host an annual friendly and when we were at a slightly higher level, we'd be able to take some of their youngsters on loan. In theory we could do that now, but none were interested in playing for us at the moment.

vv Goes 2-1 IFC
(HT 2-1)
Although we bounced back from our first defeat with a win, this was still a disappointing result and the lack of chances we created was worrying. We took the lead after just seven minutes, Aroma, rapidly becoming the clubs best player, reacted quickest to Nijhuis's shot coming back off the post to tuck away an easy goal. We held onto that lead for a whole 45 seconds. Fortunately, Aroma dug us out of trouble again with a head from the penalty spot. Aside from the lack of chances the game was soured slightly by Hollemans limping off. He's only recently returned from injury. Still, a win is a win.

EHC/Huets 0-3 vv Goes
(HT 0-2)
The biggest win of my fledgling career so far. It was a match we dominated from start to end. It took just nine minutes for us to take the lead, Aroma (yes, him again) slamming home from the penalty spot after he was brought down. His strike partner Nijhuis doubled our lead after twenty minutes with a tap in from inside the six yard box after good work down the left by Beerens. A worrying trend I'm starting to pick up on is our tendency to relax in the second half. Yes, we got a third here courtesy of an own goal, but with the exception of the BVC '12 match, we have only managed to score one goal in the second half of games.

There was cause to celebrate after this victory. Not only was it our first clean sheet, but results else where meant we were sat on top of the league, even if it was just for a week.

KNVB Bekers 2nd Round
vv Goes 0-5 DUNO
(HT 0-2)
What an embarrassment. Yes, DUNO are top of their league and are odds on favourites for promotion and yes there were some dubious refereeing decisions, but that can't hide the fact we were atrocious. We didn't start well, falling behind after two minutes. We looked like we might be growing into the game but then went 2-0 after 25 minutes. The first major talking point came just on half time. DUNO's Zandbergen had already been booked, along with two of his team mates, when he scythed down Aroma in the area. The ref chose not to give a penalty, but a free kick, but even more amazingly, didn't send off Zandbergen. So instead of going in 2-1 against ten men, we were going in 2-0 down against eleven and our best striker off injured. Things went from bad to worse in the second half. We were 3-0 after 55 minutes and by the hour mark I'd given up. Zandbergen had been spoken to again, but was still on the pitch, six DUNO players had been booked along side him and by the time they went 4-0 up, they should have been down to nine at least. The 90th minute brought a fifth and an end to our misery.

vv Goes 0-1 Halsteren
(HT 0-1)
The cup hangover struck. Neither team played well and neither looked like scoring. It took a dodgy penalty in the 15th minute to separate the sides as we suffered back to back defeats for the first time under my reign.

Neunen 3-0 vv Goes
(HT 2-0)
Well, if I thought our performance in the cup was bad, this was possibly the worst we'd played since I took control of the club. Neunen came into this game with only goal difference keeping them from the bottom of the league. They'd managed just seven goals in eight league games, so naturally my lads were felling generous and twenty minutes in we were 2-0 down. I ripped into them at half time, they went out fired up, ready to turn things around, determined not to lose three on the bounce. We were 3-0 seven minutes later. I'm not proud of what I did next, but I did it anyway. I walked away from the game after 75 minutes and left my assistant in charge.

I called them all in for a team meeting the following day to explain why I had done what I had. They seemed to understand and we swore that we wouldn't end the month on a losing note.

vv Goes 3-0 Juliana '31
(HT 1-0)
After conceding nine and not scoring in the past three matches we were determined to get a result here. I changed from a 4-4-2 for the first time, instead fielding a 4-1-2-3 to try and give the defence a bit of protection. I honestly can't say whether it was the change of tactics that got us the result or Juliana '31 hitting the self destruct button. They have the worst disciplinary record in the league and it took them just 20 minutes to be reduced to ten men. I was worried we wouldn't take advantage of the extra man but Aroma made sure we went in at half time 1-0 up. He had clearly taken my words on board and was on a one man mission to win this game. It was his shot that was parried by the keeper for Scholten to tuck away the second and then Aroma himself tucked away the third from the penalty spot after a hand ball. For the record Juliana '31 ended the game with six yellows and a red.

After the joy of August, September brought us back down with a bump and reminded us why we were relegation candidates and not promotion favourites. Despite the dodgy results and the embarrassment in the cup we were still riding high in third place and still having a good laugh at Vlissingen who were still bottom.

View attachment 61764