Dean Richards dies aged 36

R.I.P

Very good defender but never really got started at Spurs, due to injury problems.

THFC Announcement:

Everyone at Tottenham Hotspur was saddened to hear of the death of our former player Dean Richards, who passed away this morning at the age of 36 after a long-term battle with serious illness.

Dean started his career at Bradford City and then moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers before establishing himself in the Premier League with Southampton.

The centre-half joined the Club from Southampton in September 2001 and made an immediate impact by scoring on his Spurs debut against Manchester United at White Hart Lane.

In total the former England Under-21 defender went on to play 81 games in our colours and scored four goals before being forced to retire at the age of 30 on medical grounds.

There will be a tribute paid to the defender ahead of our fixture next Sunday at Molineux against his former club Wolves.

We extend our sincere condolences to the family of Dean Richards at this very sad time.

R.I.P thoughts go out to friends and family, though article wasn't clear on how he passed away

R.I.P thoughts go out to friends and family, though article wasn't clear on how he passed away

Hopefully it was peaceful. Sounds horrible when I say that.

was one of the few players I got an autograph from when I was very young, didn't really watch him play but any person to pass away at such a young age is just gut wrenching to say the least. I'm so glad to see such a heart-warming message on the Spurs website. RIP Dean Richards

R.I.P, too young to depart, hope his Family gets all the support they need.

Horrible news. Scary that they never really found out what it was that made him so ill. Thoughts are with family and friends, he was a great defender.

Dont really know much about him being a recent football fan, but R.I.P nonetheless :(

oh my days, he was awesome when he played for wolves on one of the old CM's, so so young to die, only 36, so harsh and horrible. rest in peace dean richards :(

These death threads seem to keep getting younger and younger.

RIP.

May he rest in peace.
Remember him as a young player with bags of potential, signed him often in my older CM games.
Thoughts are with family and friends.

R.I.P
southampton will hopefully have a bit about him in the programme at the next home game and a minutes silence/applause

real shame, was abit ****** off with a few of my Pompey fans reaction but its what i expected off them. Real loss and so young .