jpflfc96

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've recently created a 4-4-2 with 2 DMs, I started testing it with Stoke as they weren't a top team but they're not awful. As you'll see from some SS in a minute, I drew 0-0 with Chelsea first game and lost 1-0 to Everton the game after. The positives are that in the two games combined, the opposition only had 1CCC, but I'm struggling to create chances. I know it's quite a defensive tactic that's nowhere near fluid, but can anyone give some advice and tips to make it better.

Training and Opposition Instructions

Training-wise, because the tactic isn't fluid, I've had training as Tactics 50% and defensive positioning, to help improve the defensive solidity, which is the fundamental aspect of this tactic, counter-attacking, similar to Atletico, but mine's lacking that attacking prowess.

For opposition instructions, I normally close everybody down, to try and get the ball back off my opponents, as I also have the hassle opponents TI active. I know that this may lead to more one on ones but there are very few CCCs against, even when it's not fluid, which is promising, but there are quite a few half chances.

Screenshots

View attachment 377393 View attachment 377392 View attachment 377391 View attachment 377390

I'll also upload the tactic, so if anyone wants to improve it they can :)

View attachment 377389

I think you misunderstand what the term means. When you choose a more defensive strategy, a lot of things change. For example, your players try tackles later, your defensive players do direct passes, and your forwards do shorter, width is narrower, they are positioned lower on the pitch and so on. When counter is ON, and most of the times it isn't, they will do more runing toward goal at higher tempo, attempt more shots, riskier passes and so on. When the counter is not on, they will hoof the ball forward unless instructed otherwise, and play a short passing, patient game. It would be unwise to set your team instructions to rely solely on counter attack, as that way, you will not achieve possession, and you will be under pressure most of the time and most likely conceede. Also, superdeep defence will make you less likely to intercept passes, which is crucial for counter attacks, but in some cases it can work. Read here how to set it up http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ow-set-up-effective-defence-centre-backs.html

Last edited: