andym1690

Reaction score
just quick question i usually play with 1 forward goin to try something different and play with 2 goin to use deep lying forward but what would be good to use beside him ie: poacher af cf, just what have yous found best to work

completely depends on the roles of the other players on the team and the type of players you have. No point partnering your DLF with a Poacher if the player playing the poaching position is Rickie Lambert

deep lying forward was a bit specific player in fm13...regarding runs from deep, he had those on often I beleive, but he was still required to go deep...I would suggest play narrower so they pass the ball to central areas to him, and if using wingers, exploit the flanks, or another soulution is inside forwards with attack duty and no penetration options in team settings....the inside forward option will prolly work better, as they are closer to him...another player you could pair him up with is a poacher or an advanced forward....the dlf will provide flick ons and lay offs to him...

Last edited:
completely depends on the roles of the other players on the team and the type of players you have. No point partnering your DLF with a Poacher if the player playing the poaching position is Rickie Lambert
I think you missed the point mate.

I think you missed the point mate.

I don't think I did mate.

How can anyone advise him to partner his DLF with any other player role if they don't knw what the rest of his formation looks like and what type of style he wants to play oO).

DLF can work with any other role as a strike partner if your formation allows it so he needs to give more info on his formation.

DLF with Poacher/Advanced Forward/Target Man/Complete Forward, etc. They could all work and have worked for me in the past, only if the rest of his formation allows it.

Is he playing 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2, 4-1-3-2. Is he playing possession, Route one, Counter attack, etc.

Strike partnerships vary depending on what formation/style you play. Giving advise based on what worked for you without knowing what he wants for his team is pretty much pointless. Maybe I am just overthinking it, but hey its up to the OP what advise he wants to take :).

Good Luck

I have found rickie lambert to be an excellent DLF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Deep Lying Forward and the Shadow Striker are designed to play together (as you'll see if you go to the Player Instructions section and hover over "Shadow Striker" in the role box to bring up the description).

I have gone into this at some length in my thread on the 4-4-1-1 formation (link at the bottom) - but the short version is that the two of them link up well through the middle, usually releasing the Shadow Striker through on goal. And, when the ball gets played wide, they both get into the box like a conventional 4-4-2, to get on the end of the cross.

In my just completed season 2019/20, they scored 32 goals each in all competitions, although the Shadow Striker was injured for a month near the end.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

with a DLF you need players making runs in front of him, so when he receives the ball he has someone to pass to and doesn't turn into a long-shot fiend (which he will do if he doesnt have people to spray the ball to).

So, you'll need a poacher or an AF and at least one or two other players in the team with attack duties running in front, like an IF-A or a W-A.

A DLF-s, a poacher, and a W-A are a good attacking triangle, the DLF will drift in the middle (bringing a CB with him), receive the ball, spray a pass out wide, which will stretch the FB and remaining CB, then fire a great cross into the remaining striker, who now only has a single CB to beat. But, this advice depends on the make-up of the rest of the team.

A CF will look to sit a bit deep, as will a f9 and a treq, so those are out.

Check out the "pairs and combinations" guide from the SI GAMES forum , its got a definitive answer to your question.