Reaction score
Anyone been able to get a player actually playing like pirlo or Gerrard for Liverpool this season? Long passes out of the back , dictating the tempo and stretching the game with their long passes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone been able to get a player actually playing like pirlo or Gerrard for Liverpool this season? Long passes out of the back , dictating the tempo and stretching the game with their long passes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would say Gerrard is more of a regista

Set Gerrard as "half back" with "more direct passes" also make sure team instructions are set to play wider

Dont be scared to set the mentality to defensive either, you'll find it still very attacking due to player flair and expression, i got 182 passes out of Milner (Kroos) was injured in a DLP role in a 3-0 win over Everton away.

Train the PPM's "Tries long range passes" and "Switches ball to other flank"

Train the PPM's "Tries long range passes" and "Switches ball to other flank"

I play a short passing game at the team level, but my Deep-Lying Playmaker (Support) and my Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend) are both given Player Instructions to play "More direct passes". It's important, of course, that they both list "Tries long range passes" and "Likes to switch ball to other flank" in their Preferred Moves lists. James Ward-Prowse and Morgan Schneiderlin, respectively... but other central midfielders are available!

They don't ping long-range, cross-field passes with the same regularity that Steven Gerrard does (or Paul Scholes and David Beckham used to), but when the play is concentrated on one side or the other, they are good at switching the play to the other flank, either to release a flying winger or bring in the opposite full-back when the opposition has blocked our path down one side. Having a strong Deep-Lying Forward, instructed to "Move into channels" enables direct passes through the middle, too, when the opposition defence allows the space, and using a Shadow Striker just behind him gives you a second wave of attack, if that DLF's forward progress is blocked.

More info here, if you want it:

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-real-4-4-2-how-i-learned-play-triangle.html

I haven't tried the Half Back role yet, but I have a 5-3-2 Wing Back formation that started out with a Libero, and then a third Centre-Back, which I might just modify further to see whether the Half Back role works better. I have Diego Reyes of Mexico, who can already play that position, so I'll see what he makes of it and post up a new thread if I think it's worth sharing.