markrobert30

Reaction score
Hey,

I've been playing around with different tactics/positions in pre-season games and came up with a weird layout.

Basically its a 4-3-1-2 Its 2 Limited Centre Backs (defend) 2 Attacking Full Backs 3 Deep Lying Playmakers (2 defend & 1 support)

1 Inside forward attacking 1 Deep lying forward & 1 Advanced forward.

Its a bit of a trial and error just now I'll play with it for a bit and see how it goes and I'll upload it later on with some pics.

Has anyone ever played with 3 deep lying playmakers before?

I create loads of chances with it, James Wilson scores a lot from it (Yes I'm Man Utd haa haa)

I haven't played with 3 DLP but my tactic at the moment is 4-3-2-1 (2 wingers) and I am playing 2 sometimes 3 Roaming Playmakers in the middle of the park and the results have been phenomenal.. Fair enough I am Real Madrid so I could probably field a 2-7-1 and still win a good portion of matches. I have found that with 2 Ball Playing CB and 3 Roaming Playmakers set to a Fluid, Attacking formation has been incredible e.g. my results have been 4-1 against Barca at the Nou Camp, 7-0 against Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon. I am unbeaten so far.. I think my record is around 20-1-0. But again to be fair almost any tactic will have a fighting chance with the right players.

Main problem with deep lying playmakers is they are staying usually deep and make only on the ball runs, meaning there is a high chance of losing the midfield battle and getting raped in that area.

Second bad thing is their more risky way of passing, arguably and theoretically can be useful to launch counters from deeps on wings, but in practice i dont see it succeeding very often.

I wouldnt use 3 dlp in any of my tactics.

Nice one mate,

I play Depay as the inside forward and he has been lethal coming in from the wing always seems to score or at least chip in with a few assists.
My midfield 3 are Romero Pogba and pereira. I had to pay 50 million for Pogba after 4 season I'm like Arsene Wenger when playing FM never wanna pay more than 40 million for a player haa haa. But lets face it POGBA...... his fitness is always a concern though, might need to tweak my tactic for him?

Nice one mate,

I play Depay as the inside forward and he has been lethal coming in from the wing always seems to score or at least chip in with a few assists.
My midfield 3 are Romero Pogba and pereira. I had to pay 50 million for Pogba after 4 season I'm like Arsene Wenger when playing FM never wanna pay more than 40 million for a player haa haa. But lets face it POGBA...... his fitness is always a concern though, might need to tweak my tactic for him?

PLaying pogba as a dlp is a waste of his talent imo. Guy has excellent overall stats, much more suited to a roaming playmaker, box to box, central mid with attack duty role.

His runs for juve are crucial, his tackling, workrate and longshots. DLP offers none of these.

For a midfield trio at juve i used them the conte way.

(b2b-vidal) cm-attack(pogba/marchisio)
(regista-Pirlo)

Having a deep creator alongside an agressive tackler (+runner) and a runner is the way to go.

Last edited:
Nice one mate,

I have Depay as an LW IF in my tactic and he is a beast, best player in the world at the mo!

If you want to keep your DLP, I would try Pogba in the centre of the 3 as either a B2B or an Attacking CM.

I haven't played 3 DLP's before but with my own United team I use 3 Playmakers. 2 Roaming Playmakers at CM (Di Maria & Isco) and Deep-Lying Playmaker at CDM (Gundoguon, cant spell lol the Dortmund guy!)

I feel like 3 DLP would be too detached from the forward play. Having a RPM or 2 allows more connection to your forwards.

Interesting. I play with a DLP in the centre and 2x CM(S) either side. I have noticed that I often lose goals to counter attacks but I never made the connection until I read this thread. I think I will have to watch my next match more closely and consider switching to a RPM.

I had been thinking of having a ball winning mid and 2x play makers either side. I play with wing backs and IF's and a lone striker. Thoughts?

why would you use 2 playmakers?
a ball winning mid a dynamic (bo to box)
and play maker seems more logic i guess.
are 2 bwm one on defend one on support