Defence is the best form of attack (14.2.2) -Norwich 5th 1st season 2nd = incredible

jonnysnipe

Reaction score
Back Story
So I have tried a lot of formations on this website, and have found the ones based around a solid defence have always been the most effective for me! This is why when I saw Di Martinos Pyramid formation (find here = http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...actic-pyramid-solid-defense-good-offence.html) I was interested, I started it with a new save with Norwich who were predicted near enough relegation! Found the original tactic was quite tasty but problems were that the full backs got horrendous ratings so I thought that the 3 DMs were overkill so decided to drop one of them to CB and then move the fullbacks up to wingbacks set as CWBs! Worked incredibly and got some awesome results, even games I lose I am playing so well and getting CCCs and not giving up CCCs! Managed to give away 6 penalties in 10 games so I also got rid of the get stuck in instruction and changed it to stay on feet which greatly improved this problem!

2nd season this tactic blew up, I beat City, United and Arsenal away from home! I have a squad with a probable average CA of around 140-145! I won the FA cup beating Spurs in the final and I also won the europa league after beating Arsenal 7-2 on aggregate in the quarters, then going on to beat OM in the final! If that wasnt enough I managed to also secure 4th and a champions league space, this is with the hectic schedule I had because of both cups and some key injuries I am gobsmacked! Also I set the striker to shoot less often as he was not scoring, since I changed it he has been a lot better in front of goal.

Training
With the training I did tactics until fully fluid then I did all out attacking in general and attacking movement as match training as the defensive base is so solid on this formation! This was until I started conceding corners which is when I changed it to def. set pieces. I also changed the set pieces to jassars set up because di martino had callamitys and I just feel that the one that is on jassars topic is better.

Key Players
This tactic has importance in every role! But the strikers and Wing backs are ultimate to attacking success in the first season Van Wolfy finished top scorer in the Prem and then I signed Rhodes who is currently top scorer in the prem! The wing backs need to be strong all round, Olsson for Norwich was perfect but in the 2nd season I managed to upgrade to Gibbs and RWB I got Corchia for a bargain price! Your CMs need to be able to finish as well, they chip in with around 10 goals a season!

Screenshots and the tactic:

The Tactic:
View attachment 424269

1st Season:
View attachment 424270

2nd Season:
FA Cup =
View attachment 424256

Europa League:
View attachment 424255

Premier League:
View attachment 424253View attachment 424252View attachment 424251

Finally I use this home and away no changes, I dont use OIs so you guys can try that as well? Also most of the credit should go to Di Martino as he created the majority of this just these tweaks gave great results! Please let me know whether the tactic link is working or not? I am new to this! Also would love to hear how you guys get on with this!

Last edited:
Did you make any transfers in your first season?

Love formations like this - going to try this in a new save!

Would you say you'd of done better in the league in the 2nd season if you'd not had to concentrate on the other competitions?

Yeah definately I will post some of the games I lost in the league and show you how ridiculous they were! I made transfers first season yes but the average ca in the first season waa below 135 which is poor! Will show transfers if you want?

Lost 7 times, probably deserved to lose 3 or 4 times, but through strikers not performing and me having to start a 16 y/o in goal I lost 6 games, heres an example of one of the losses, MANY of the draws are similar to this:
View attachment 424173

Last edited:
Would really appreciate testers and feedback for this! Or suggestions of other teams to try it with?

Thanks for the reply.

I've just started a new game as Newcastle and have re-modelled the squad... got rid of Ben Arfa, Remy, Guitierez & Cisse!

Thanks for the reply.

I've just started a new game as Newcastle and have re-modelled the squad... got rid of Ben Arfa, Remy, Guitierez & Cisse!

I thought Newcastle, Debuchy will do well as the RWB and then Yanga, Colo and another CB, Sissoko and Cabaye the attacking CMs? Anita and Tiote would do a job as the DMs

I'm confused about the nature of the 'retain possession' shout when starting a match. The description seems to suggest it best used when leading in a game to reduce giving the ball away...but at the start of the game I would have thought the shout to limit the amount of chances as players would choose a pass sideways instead of towards a player making a run forward. I'm struggling to understand the mechanics of this game lol

Mechanics of this game are messed up mate this is why tactics like this work in the current version! All logic is chucked out the window!

Wow you have done well there only conceding 3 ha scoring 18 in 5 games averaging over 3 goals a game!

I support Arsenal so today was a painful day! Carlos I will screen it now but its very simple:

Before fluid do tactics match training, and tactics general training (maybe do team cohesion here if you have made loads of signings)

When fluid do attacking general training, and I swapped it between defending set pieces and attacking movement!

Got to January and I'm sitting top by a point.

I got players in the summer based on the stats needed for each position which strangely has meant I'm without a striker - as I'm playing Honda as the False 9 - have you found that by using the suggested stats for the False 9 you get very little 'Strikers'?

Anyway, this has lead to me not scoring many goals, lots of 1-0 wins - then I spotted Kanoute on a free transfer, scored 2 in his debut and I won 6-0. So, my advice for people is to look for a creative person who's a natural striker - good off the ball stats too.

Going well so far though, very effective tactic!

Yeah should have said that look for a striker with good striker stats first then the creative side had rhodes and van wolfswinkel do well

Got to January and I'm sitting top by a point.

I got players in the summer based on the stats needed for each position which strangely has meant I'm without a striker - as I'm playing Honda as the False 9 - have you found that by using the suggested stats for the False 9 you get very little 'Strikers'?

Anyway, this has lead to me not scoring many goals, lots of 1-0 wins - then I spotted Kanoute on a free transfer, scored 2 in his debut and I won 6-0. So, my advice for people is to look for a creative person who's a natural striker - good off the ball stats too.

Going well so far though, very effective tactic!

Also adding on this finishing stats are essential for the CMs as well they score a lot! Also the wingbacks chip in so bare that in mind!