TheCaptain

Reaction score
Im playing with 'Boro (good knows why... maybe i thought it would be a challenge). Im on the brink of winning the championship in my 1st season and was just looking ahead.

Is attack the best form of defence, in which case should i spend the majority of next years budget on strikers who will actually do a job in the prem, or do i strengthen at the back and try to nick goals and steal wins.... which im confident i could do and avoid relegation

I would say a strong defence is better. It depends though on how many goals you are scoring and how many you are conceding in the Championship. If you're not hammering them in in the Championship then try and get a striker if you can but a strong defence is essential

To stay in the Prem, you need a good mixture of both really. Like Jamie said, if you're not battering them in the Championship buy a striker, and if you conceding a lot definitely buy 1 or 2 centre backs. Also a top keeper for the Prem is a must if you want to survive, I recommend Joe Hart :)

i have the default squad with no signings or sales.

i tend to win against mid/lower sides by 3-0 or 4-1.... but top sides im getting 3-3 or 3-2 wins, or very tight losses.

id be hapy to shift both my strikers on, and buy one quality striker, as theres always a few on the transfer list come summer... then tighten up the back with the budget the board give me.

suppose that way im striking a decent balance... or i could always move to a good club haha

If your having tight games against the top teams then you'll probably need to improve defensively with maybe a little more strength in the midfield also. It seems your scoring enough but maybe like you said, shift some fringe players and sign one quality striker. Jo from Man City becomes available in the 2nd season for around £4m and also so does Roque Santa Cruz for about £3m, so two very good strikers there.

With my City team, i've spent so much on attackers..

20M for Walcott.
12M for Ribery.
15M for Pastore.
52M for Ageuro.
60M for David Villa.

But.. I have only purchased TWO defenders in 4 years. A regen and Bacary Sagna. This means i am influenced heavily to attack. But, whenever i do go in with a very attacking mentality. It leaves even more gaps at the back! Plus, my defenders can't cover or tackle to gaps. So, i lose a lot of games due to a bad defence but amazing attack.. So, overall..

So best defence is not attack. The best defence and attack, is equal. Don't put pressure on your defence, with amazing attackers. Don't put pressure on your attack with a lot of good defenders. Keep it equal, a balanced team, is a brilliant team. :wub:

Huge difference between City and Boro, City already have a good defence before you started and I imagine your attackers are of a lot higher pedigree than the one's at Boro, attacking is good but only as long as your score more than you concede.

with ipswich i got smolarek and ondrej svejdik, solid buys they were, try hamed namouchi for attack